Journey to Break 85

@ the request of rex grossman, i have changed the title of the thread. rex grossman likes to share.

Thanks, TC! He is very generous. I can remember tons of times when he shared the ball with my favorite team!

Yoccos - I'd love to see some of those drills. Thanks again for giving me a place to ramble :)

unless you stick it on the green then it's all good hehe
Thanks, guys. I'm going to finish the season without putting any pressure on myself. I have decided to address my problems afterwards because my time is limited. I need to enjoy the few days that are left.

I think that a lot of my issues with tempo come from trying to hit the ball too hard. Because I'm making spotty contact and not using the big muscles, I don't get the distance that I should be on a regular basis. The brain says to the body, "SWING HARDER". It makes it hard to score because my distances can be 10-40 yard different depending on how well I swing. I hate to say it's an ego thing, but in ways it is. I'm probably never going to hit a 165 yard 7iron, but I'd like to hit it to my full potential. I've accepted that a bomb off the driver for me is 250, but I can't accept a 130 yard 7 iron (due to poor contact).

Lol... Hawk Rexy loved throwing to the Pack. It was his "thing". You're my bruh, I'm glad that someone else is rambling with me!!!!! Ill get em posted. They are quite genious.

Hanks, so true.
Thanks, TC! He is very generous. I can remember tons of times when he shared the ball with my favorite team!

Yoccos - I'd love to see some of those drills. Thanks again for giving me a place to ramble :)

unless you stick it on the green then it's all good hehe

Like Yoccos, I'm just looking for somewhere to run my mouth about the state of my game. You definitely don't have to read this (unless you are Yoccos lol).

So, I was really down on my game after my last round, especially everything irons. I went out today in some horrible weather today after becoming disillusioned by my job.

The summary of my day is that I came out with a 99. It was windy as hell, rained and hailed. Also, I lost GPS on the 8th hole, so I was relying on yardage markers after that, which is something I haven't done for a long time. The fairways were hard and the greens were like rocks. I felt I could have really scored low today, but the conditions were the boss today :)

I was not very good off the tee (lost 2 balls) and was pretty bad with the putter, but the bright spot of my day was that I hit my irons and hybrids really well. The problem was that the ridiculous wind and lack of GPS made it difficult to work with distances. I hit a 165 yard 9i with the wind and a 165 yard 2 hybrid into it lol. It was really a 2-3 club wind, depending on the gusts. Short game was decent, but there were times that I was in some pretty bad spots due to overshooting the green. I did put a few within 1 putt range, and dropped a 50° wedge shot 6 inches from the hole (for par).

So, to the irons. I only duffed a handful of shots today. I was making the best contact I have made in a LONG time. I was getting nice high balls that sounded soooo nice off the club.

I've been doing a bit of reading (and recently bought a book) about hitting the ball better. The book is called The Impact Zone. I've barely skimmed it, but I took a couple things from it that I wanted to try out. The book says that the average tour pro's swing bottoms out about 4 inches in front of the ball, while the average high handicapper's (my) swing bottoms out about and inch or two behind the ball, robbing me of distance, accuracy, consistency, etc. A quick tip that I took from it was to start focusing on a spot about 4 inches in front of the ball to "hit down" on the ball. I worked on this in my yard with pitches and chips during the week and found I was making great contact. It was kind of tough to trust at first since I'm not staring at the ball. I think the point is that you are supposed to swing through the ball, not hit at it. I'm also trying to bring the club down from the inside.

So, it really worked well! I hit one shot fat, no tops, and a few thin today! I did have some problems adjusting my alignment and aim at first, since I usually set up for a fade. Instead, I was hitting the ball straight or with a slight draw, which caused me to miss left. I also had to adjust my grip a bit more neutral since I didn't need the slice-killer grip. It was an easy adjustment, though.

In all, I was really, really happy to hear the ball come off the club pure. I loved seeing the ball go up into the air with some heat behind it. I'm looking forward to going out in some normal conditions to see what happens.

Woooot! As Frank Constanza would say, "I'm back, Babaaaay!".

Rock on Hawk...nothing feels better than getting it going in the right direction, huh? Great job and keep us posted!

Nice stuff hawk!!!! Funny thing some of the tips I got came from that book. When i was shooting well earlier this year that book was the reason. Im gonna get back to reading it.

Happy for you bro. Thats a great round in extremely difficult conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part two of focusing ahead of the ball worked well again. I was making really good contact with irons, but still need to work on accuracy. Perfect example is from my round yesterday. I creamed a 7i to 150 yards (thats good for me, especially in the cold) that went up nice and high, but about 10 yards left of my target. Instead of a birdie putt, I had to chip on and two putted. It was encouraging, though.

Driver sucked, but I'm not too worried. It will come back to me. It's hard to hit a frozen e6 when you can't feel your hands, lol. I did change my R9 setting when I got home. I had it set to NU-L (I think 1° closed), but I found my self pulling the ball over my last two rounds. I went back to NU and moved a weight towards the heel. I'm just curious what it will do more than anything.

Putting also sucked but I worked that out after I got home. I can get a little herky-jerky with my hands sometimes. I did hit one really nice putt from 15+ feet. So far, liking the #9.

I've been slacking on updating here. But I have been practicing a ton. The range pass has been ideal because I love to see what my ball flight looks like. I'm really getting used to using my big muscles for the swing and that has even helped that pull I have. My miss is now a pull or CHUNK. Haha. But the chunk is easy to correct. I have to thank Spank for that. Shifting weight and not slapping at the ball helps.

Its really tough but Im really starting to find a groove. These Machspeed irons have been a blessing. Nice feel, great ball flight and extremely forgiving. I can normally get through about 3/4 bucket before the pain in my wrists kick in. Then my swing falls apart but I think I can limit that by taking breaks and taking my time. I feel rushed and I dont take many practice swings but I'm learning to get a routine down.

It's really been back to basics for me. I'm still having a hard time finding the right grip but I just need to keep working. Grip pressure has also been a tough thing to get right. After that its my weight shift and just trying to get my big muscles more into the swing. It's slowly getting better!

Hawk's post's have really encouraged me to just keep going and to continue to work on my short game. I love it!

We seem to have many similarities in what we need to work on, Yoc. Grip pressure is one of them. I know that once I start thinking about grip, my game falls apart lol. Sucks to hear about the wrist, man. Are you hitting off of grass there?

Part two of focusing ahead of the ball worked well again. I was making really good contact with irons, but still need to work on accuracy. Perfect example is from my round yesterday. I creamed a 7i to 150 yards (thats good for me, especially in the cold) that went up nice and high, but about 10 yards left of my target. Instead of a birdie putt, I had to chip on and two putted. It was encouraging, though.

Driver sucked, but I'm not too worried. It will come back to me. It's hard to hit a frozen e6 when you can't feel your hands, lol. I did change my R9 setting when I got home. I had it set to NU-L (I think 1° closed), but I found my self pulling the ball over my last two rounds. I went back to NU and moved a weight towards the heel. I'm just curious what it will do more than anything.

Putting also sucked but I worked that out after I got home. I can get a little herky-jerky with my hands sometimes. I did hit one really nice putt from 15+ feet. So far, liking the #9.

I am loving the update, sounds like you are really doing a great job working on your game. I really enjoy reading these updates. For the driver...it may be the shaft causing those major hooks. Whats the flex? If its a reg then I re tract my comment and its just your getting the hands around faster than the body. If this persists I would say to keep the same swing (for ease) and pretend like you are hitting a baseball to Right center field. This may help. it may not, just throwing ideas out there buddy

I've been slacking on updating here. But I have been practicing a ton. The range pass has been ideal because I love to see what my ball flight looks like. I'm really getting used to using my big muscles for the swing and that has even helped that pull I have. My miss is now a pull or CHUNK. Haha. But the chunk is easy to correct. I have to thank Spank for that. Shifting weight and not slapping at the ball helps.
Its really tough but Im really starting to find a groove. These Machspeed irons have been a blessing. Nice feel, great ball flight and extremely forgiving. I can normally get through about 3/4 bucket before the pain in my wrists kick in. Then my swing falls apart but I think I can limit that by taking breaks and taking my time. I feel rushed and I dont take many practice swings but I'm learning to get a routine down.

It's really been back to basics for me. I'm still having a hard time finding the right grip but I just need to keep working. Grip pressure has also been a tough thing to get right. After that its my weight shift and just trying to get my big muscles more into the swing. It's slowly getting better!

Hawk's post's have really encouraged me to just keep going and to continue to work on my short game. I love it!

hey buddy, try evening out your weight at address. I have the same problem sometimes of putting my weight on my back foot. This should help.

Sounds like you are doing the right things to really make yourself a better golfer.

Sorry if I sound like a teacher here, I am not...I just have been in both of your shoes.

Lol. My instructor just shakes his head and laughs. Its hard to ease up without over doing it! Haha.

I agree man. I love how this site just seems to really put anything you need within reach. It's good to have someone else to go through the same motions.

Yeah man. Grass is in effect! It's helped a lot actually. I used to have pain the next day but now it goes away shortly after the session. I was using mats before but I could never go back I dont think unless I had too.

I did put sensicore inserts in my shafts and it helps a little. But to me that little help will go a long way. I will get my wrist checked out soon. I need too.
We seem to have many similarities in what we need to work on, Yoc. Grip pressure is one of them. I know that once I start thinking about grip, my game falls apart lol. Sucks to hear about the wrist, man. Are you hitting off of grass there?

I am loving the update, sounds like you are really doing a great job working on your game. I really enjoy reading these updates. For the driver...it may be the shaft causing those major hooks. Whats the flex? If its a reg then I re tract my comment and its just your getting the hands around faster than the body. If this persists I would say to keep the same swing (for ease) and pretend like you are hitting a baseball to Right center field. This may help. it may not, just throwing ideas out there buddy

Sorry if I sound like a teacher here, I am not...I just have been in both of your shoes.

No need to apologize, all opinions are welcomed :)

I was missing with a dead pull, which (I think) is a result of an OTT move or too much hands. I also had the face slighly closed. The shaft works great if I swing it right, but no shaft can beat the power pull lol. That doesn't really worry me much. I'm swinging the driver better than ever, but sometimes I hurry myself and send a couple the wrong way.

I have that pull. And it is not fun! haha.

One Teezy I'm going to try that. You're absolutely right I need to stay more balanced. I have to look through some old messages because I know you gave me some tips that worked magic!

No need to apologize, all opinions are welcomed :)

I was missing with a dead pull, which (I think) is a result of an OTT move or too much hands. I also had the face slighly closed. The shaft works great if I swing it right, but no shaft can beat the power pull lol. That doesn't really worry me much. I'm swinging the driver better than ever, but sometimes I hurry myself and send a couple the wrong way.

hey buddy, try evening out your weight at address. I have the same problem sometimes of putting my weight on my back foot. This should help.

Sounds like you are doing the right things to really make yourself a better golfer.

I have that pull. And it is not fun! haha.

One Teezy I'm going to try that. You're absolutely right I need to stay more balanced. I have to look through some old messages because I know you gave me some tips that worked magic!

thats what I do....Magic! haha, man I like how you guys are working so hard to get better so if I can say just one thing that might make something "click" then its all worth it. Ask me anything any time

I will man lol. We're roomates HAHAHAHAHA.
thats what I do....Magic! haha, man I like how you guys are working so hard to get better so if I can say just one thing that might make something "click" then its all worth it. Ask me anything any time

Glad I could help Rexy. Just keep remembering your right hip towards the target. If that SOB gets lazy you'll notice that you'll start pushing drives.

My .02 in here b/c like Hawk this could be the golf improvement vent thread, now that my worries about drives are pretty much in the bag (since i know now what I do when I mishit) my big work upcoming is to get a consistent short game. I've always thought I was decent in this category but there's always room for improvement. I guess that will be my winter workout for next golf season.

Yessir! I can't wait to see you hit that driver man. I liked the way you were hitting the Attas.

You just got new wedges too right?

And I agree, this is a thread for anyone.

Yessir! I can't wait to see you hit that driver man. I liked the way you were hitting the Attas.

You just got new wedges too right?

If you thought the Attas drives looked good wait until you see the Fubuki in action (ask ddec and G4L). Yes I got new wedgies and I'm waiting on TM to send me and RA# so I can send it to them to get bent. I think I'm pretty much set from the equipment department until spring (then it's Mashie time) unless something blows me away between now and then. I need to shave 10 strokes off for my goal next year and I figured short game and putting is where it's at.

Right on Spank... Short game is where its at!!!!

Lol post 3000 !

Anyway, I got to test out some E6 orange golf balls and shot one of the best rounds ever. 43 on a 35 (9 Holes). Granted not the best score ever but everything was just clicking. I was making fantastic contact with the irons and I only lost one drive (doubled that hole lol). But needless to say I was extremely happy. My miss yesterday, other than the 1 pull was an open face. Thats it. I was happy. I did have a couple niblick shots I wish I could have back (around the green) but they will be sorted out once I get used to the ball. Putting was good too.

Everything I tried to do worked really well. Even sand shots were just easy yesterday. Nothing big about the day but I was really consistant. 4 pars! Would've had more and no doubles but some short shots just didn't work out haha. I concentrated on a smooth swing using the big muscles and it really helped out. Anyway, I know this is pretty much all over the place I was just real happy with my round. It was one of those rounds where I knew I could've broke 40. Which gives me so much to look forward too. Even if the next round isnt as good I know what I'm capable of.

Nice job, bud. I have an update that I will write tomorrow. It sounds like we both lost some shots around the green.

following, I am on a similar quest to be consistently under 85, my last 20 rounds are an avg of 88.5

Thanks man! I think we have pretty similar games my friend. I think these mistakes we can fix.
Nice job, bud. I have an update that I will write tomorrow. It sounds like we both lost some shots around the green.

Awesome! How long have you been playing? Definitely share how everything is going. Any areas you are working on?
following, I am on a similar quest to be consistently under 85, my last 20 rounds are an avg of 88.5

So, here is my latest.

Yesterday, I took the afternoon off to enjoy one of the last nice days of the year. I started pretty well. I hit two out of the first three greens in regulation and my irons were crisp! The only problem was putting. i could have come out with 2 birdies, but instead went bogey, bogey, par. Doubled 4 due to pushing my tee shot into jail. Tripled 5 after making a stupid mistake and underclubbing myself. I bogeyed 6, but had a couple good shots. Then I sort of fell apart when GG sent me a PM about the Tester thing. I pretty much lost all concentration and hit some bad shots. I ended up 47/50 for a 97.

I hit the ball good with irons all day, but had some struggles off the tee and putting. I missed some putts that could have been "gimmies". Wedges ranged from good to bad depending on the spot I was in. I almost holed a couple, but I also took a two shots instead of one a couple times.

I may go back (once again) to my Rossie putter. I want so bad to putt better with something else, but I hate to miss easy putts. I think I need more time with the #9 to get a good idea of what I need to do.

Again, really happy with the way my irons have improved. It's refreshing to see the ball fly high and I'm getting better with accuracy and my "improved" swing. Most of the accuracy issues seem to be related to set-up.

I think I will move the weight on my R9 back to center instead of having it on the heel. I was hitting the ball much thinner than normal and wasn't loving the set up. I also hit a couple MONSTER push-fades that hurt me. Gotta have a couple of those, right?

Thats great to hear the ball striking is coming around. It sounds like everything is coming so close man. Just a few more rounds and everything will fall in line.

Sometimes a switch back to the old putter is good. But like you said it could just be a matter of learning the ins and outs of the #9. Either way it really sounds like your game is headed into awesomeness!

Back