JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I picked up a set of Lynx Predator (the ones with the yellow back plate) and an old driving iron. I was wanting to use them to practice my ball striking with thinking they would be far less forgiving. I noticed something- the p wedge has about 55 degrees of loft on in. Is this weak lofting normal on old clubs?

Yes, irons got stronger lofted over the years. Not sure I agree with the less forgiveness for practicing, but I hope it works for you.

Not sure I agree with the less forgiveness for practicing, but I hope it works for you.

Can I ask why? Certainly the frustration level can rise quickly, but when I swing my fathers old blades I tend to concentrate harder on making a good swing.

Can I ask why? Certainly the frustration level can rise quickly, but when I swing my fathers old blades I tend to concentrate harder on making a good swing.

The biggest reason I would be hesitant to do that is I want to practice with the clubs I am going to play with. Knowing how the ball reacts to a swing with iron A doesn't help me if I am on the course using iron B. Especially if one is a blade and one is GI which behave totally differently.

There is no doubt about that. But I can attest to the fact that changing irons frequently CAN mess with ones swing. Different feels, different shot shapes, and different CG can all play a role in proper ball striking. I have always been a person that believes in practicing with a purpose. So when I practice, I want to practice with the clubs I am going to play with.

Every iron I have tried does things a little differently. I am not the type of golfer that wants to practice to increase my skills with one iron, only to have the iron I put into play on the course, play completely different.

The biggest reason I would be hesitant to do that is I want to practice with the clubs I am going to play with. Knowing how the ball reacts to a swing with iron A doesn't help me if I am on the course using iron B. Especially if one is a blade and one is GI which behave totally differently.

Spot on Gus! I agree with this post a ton.

That all makes perfect sense. I guess the blades will stay in the closet. The LAST thing I need is more inconsistency in my swing.

Hmm. Intersting. I think I will work with them a little bit, but stop if I see it is hurting my swing. I just wanted something that would better reveal how good/bad my swing is at this point, and allow me to make changes easier.

I'm the same as the above gentlemen.(Why not practice with the clubs your gonna play with) I've thought about buying me as set of blades to practice with. But why spend the extra money on something your not gonna play with.

Back