Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do it :clapp:

9I,
I merged this one with the regular Trying to Break 100 thread. I think you will find some great words of wisdom and encouragement in this thread and lots of people working on the same thing as you.

Sounds good JB, thanks.

Was pretty busy yeserday, so I didn't get a chance to update after my swing analysis.

Bottom line, my clubface is WAY open at impact hence why everything has been going right on me lately. My backswing is good, darn good in fact, but when I reach the top, I break my wrists a little and everything more or less goes to crap from there. The Pro told me that some of my wrist issues would be solved if I strengthened my grip on the club. From there, I need to work on my swing planes especially during my downswing. The last thing is going past parallel at the top. He told me that this isn't a big deal (just look at DJ) but if I do, then my wrists need to be straight. When I practice swinging a club at home, I never go past parallel, but put a ball in front of me I always do it. Basically, it's just a mental thing as I always want to just kill the ball as I'm not a long hitter by any means. So I'm going to make an effort to not go past parallel as I believe this will help me to not break my wrists and keep the club face square at impact. So that's about it. I've decided at the moment to not go for any official lessons at this point as I want to try to work on these things myself first. Plus with spring a long ways away, there's no rush. There's still plenty of time to take lessons before the beginning of next season.

I did it. I shot a 94 Saturday.
Now if I can just get a couple more decent days so I can see if I can duplicate it or if it was a fluke

Great job, Ron! There are no flukes. If you can do it once, you have the ability to keep doing it :)

Amazing what finally taking the advice I've been giving to my daughter can do

Hey9 iron I was in the same boat; opened up the year with a 126,123,115... I took some advice and went to a local Golftec for some lessons. They worked wonders. I just fired an 85 today and shot a best 80 last week. If ur wrists are hinging near the top u might be overhinging. And u are prob taking the club back too far. I was surprised to learn how far tiger and Kim take there's back. All ur power is really hips n shoulders. It's easier to strike the ball first too with what feels like a 3/4 backswing.

My goals to break 100: also using these to break 80 now;

reduce penalties, or eliminate even it means swinging slower and playing down a club.
No 3 putts-def no 4 putts- have to warm up putter before a round.
Use three shots on par 5- don't try n reach in two with a fw.. Driver and two 7 irons is over 550 yards

Remember tempo is important- overswinging causes problems
Have to practice short game- if u can chip and putt you can shoot really low scores.

That's what I've been coached to do on the course and I've dropped almost 40 strokes off this season. Almost unbelievable.

Best advice is lessons - I played golf off n on for 15 years and taught myself what I thought was a golf swing... I was wrong very wrong lol... When u have video and monitors showing u and a coach that knows what he is talking about it is worlds diff...

Just my two cents as I was in the 100 thread, and the 90, now aiming for 80!!! I have maybe two weeks to do it be fire my season ends..

Also get into a warmup routine- I try and head to course an hour be fire round. I stretch a little (getting old lol 33) start by chipping for 20 mins, then i hit a small bucket of balls.. Test out driver.. Hit some irons- then wedges.. Whatever feels like needs most work.. I focus rest of bucket on that... Then I spend last 20 mins on putting-- it really is the single most stroke saving method. If u can putt you can fire great rounds...

Sorta why I'm justifying a $700 putting green for my spare br lol

Last edited:
Congrats Spank! Great feeling to break 100 isn't it?

Congrats Spank! Great feeling to break 100 isn't it?

Spank! Way to go, dude! I'm so happy that you got yourself under 100. I was thinking that it couldn't be long after watching you on the range in FL. Keep up the good work, buddy :clapp:

Congrats, it is a hell of a feeling to finally break the barrier.

Thanks, boys! Yes it is a great feeling and the sense of accomplishment is the best part. It's like you work so hard for something and finally it comes to fruition.

I loved that feeling of "I know today is the day". I tried all I could to put it out of my head, but it was there the entire time.

shot a 102 on a course I feel terrible about not breaking 90 on.I shot a 92 on it last year.Haven't been out near as much this year so I guess it's not in the cards.Hit all but 2 fwys with the driver but my putting went south along with a few chip shots.On number 15 par 4 I mishit the driver just past the ladies tees into the rough but put the second shot with a 5w to 3 foot of the cup.Damn if I didn't 3 putt.That's kinda the way the day went.

But congradulations Spank! I checked out the pics in the other thread and that course was a beautiful place to have memories of breaking the 100 barrier.

shot a 102 on a course I feel terrible about not breaking 90 on.I shot a 92 on it last year.Haven't been out near as much this year so I guess it's not in the cards.Hit all but 2 fwys with the driver but my putting went south along with a few chip shots.On number 15 par 4 I mishit the driver just past the ladies tees into the rough but put the second shot with a 5w to 3 foot of the cup.Damn if I didn't 3 putt.That's kinda the way the day went.

Where did you play Jeff? I

I admire all of you for putting it out there for all of us to see! Keep up the practice, don't get frustrated, play within your game, and most importantly--have fun.

Just found this thread and couldn't think of a better place to start! :D I've broken 100 a few times (personal best is a 93), but can't do it consistently....I usually have the "blow-up" holes that keep me around 102-105. I'm making the effort to practice more and utilize better course management, and I plan to take a few lessons to try to get me on track this winter so I can (hopefully) emerge in the spring with the triple-digit scores behind me!

Hi,

I am also a paid up member of the trying to break 100 club.
I have managed it twice back in the summer, both 99's, but no joy since.
Like most people I'm ususally going along nicely and then will have a nightmare hole which will ruin my round.
I also 3 putt too much, but unfortuantely I find putting practice REALLY boring.
Key thing for me is too not get GOLFANGRY and I've found it helps if I don't know my score until I have putted out at the 18th.

Started in February and never ever thought I'd break the 100 mark. Did it once and thought that was as good as it was going to get for me. With a bit of practice though it's amazing the progress you can make. I'm regularily breaking 90 now and have a personal best of 80. With the time and commitment to improve it's only a matter of time. Stick with it and best of luck.

With the time and commitment to improve it's only a matter of time.
I agree with that 100%. I managed to play once a week after work all summer and my game progressed loads.
It is hard to find the time for golf with a 2.5yr old daughter though!!
Hope she likes golf when she gets a bit older, then I have the perfect excuse!!

With the time and commitment to improve it's only a matter of time.
I agree with that 100%. I managed to play once a week after work all summer and my game progressed loads.
It is hard to find the time for golf with a 2.5yr old daughter though!!
Hope she likes golf when she gets a bit older, then I have the perfect excuse!!

I feel your pain. I got 2 rugrats (3 and 1)and finding time is the biggest issue. Luckily I have the best weapon for that... making an appointment with mommy. :D

Enjoy your time now though with your daughter. These are precious years and you'll remember them for the rest of your life. A part of me wants them to grow up fast so they can be more independent but a part of me wishes they could stay the same.

50 on the front with a snowman on a par 4 and 4 double bogeys and a 42 on the back,only 1 double bogey for a 92.

Hell of a score, sounds like you need to report to the "Breaking 90" room. :beer:

50 on the front with a snowman on a par 4 and 4 double bogeys and a 42 on the back,only 1 double bogey for a 92.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back