Bridgestone B330 & B330-S Testing Thread

B330-S Review

The balls came today and half an hour later I was at the course. I started out with 45 minutes in the short game practice area to get a feel for the balls before heading out to the course. It was 10 degrees celsius here today, raining and windy which I thought was a good test for this ball.

Off the Tee:
I could tell right off the first tee that this ball was higher compression than the Nike One tour I normally play and I saw a lower ball flight than I am used to. The ball feels great off the face of the driver with a great sound and I was seeing an increase of about 5-10 yards with my driver over the Nike. I play a lot of 3 hybrid and 3 wood off the tee and here I thought the B330-S really shined. Great penetrating ball flight, felt smooth off the face and was about 5 yards longer than my nike. The Nike for me can feel really soft off my woods almost feels like it sticks to the face, but the B330-S just flew off the face.

Irons:
Here I saw no great difference in distance or ball flight. When struck well it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I was playing by myself with no groups in front or behind so I was able to hit different shots from the fairway into the green. Fade, draw, low, high this ball did exactly what it supposed to do as a tour ball should. In this area there was no real difference over the Nike One tour which reacts very similar in this area.

Wedges:
This is where the B330-S ball blew the One Tour out of the water. My normal shot with a full wedge with the Nike is hit hop and stop. I dropped some balls right at 100 yards to the flag (3 Nike, 3 B330-S) and took aim at the flag with my 55* to see how each ball reacted. The Nike hit, hopped and stopped every time just like it always does, but all three shots with the B330-S hit, hopped, and came back about 3-4 feet. Wow. On the next hole I did the same thing but at 80 yards for a full 60* wedge. Nike reacted as usual, the B330-S again sucked back about 1 foot. On both tests the B330-S was overall closer to the flag.

Chipping/Pitching:
Both on the course and at the practice green I was seeing much more spin from the B330-S. On chips and flop shots the ball was checking up much more than the Nike and I found I could get much more aggresive and trust that the ball would stop for me. Same thing out of the bunkers, the ball was not running out at all for me, just hit the green and stopped. Pitching I would say both balls reacted about the same and running out similar distances with the B330-S maybe having more spin, but I don't generate a lot of spin pitching at the moment.

Putting:

I was putting today with my Wilson Staff 8876 which has an insert, and the B330-S felt and sounded great off the face. The ball rolled true and distance control was easily found. I find with putting with tour caliber balls is all about the same and is more about the stoke that you put on it. I will say that I normally draw an alignment aid around my golf ball but found no need to as the B330-S logo with the top and bottom lines was more than enough.

Durability:
As said by everyone this ball is unbelievably durable for a urethene covered ball. I played one ball for 18 and it could go another 36 if I don't lose it. I don't lose a lot of balls and generally go though one Nike Tour every 9 holes especially if there was a couple of full wedges and a cart path in there.

Overall:

I had two questions going into this round, one would I like this ball more than the Nike One Tour, and two, if I did would I like it enough to pay $17 more a dozen? Well Bridgestone really knows what they are doing with ball fitting because this was the easily the best ball I have played. It was longer than the Nike, equal off the irons, dominated the short game and was far more durable. Too answer my questions, yes I like this ball more than the Nike, and yes I will gladly pay the asking price especially considering if you don't lose a lot of balls you could make a sleeve last a month.

Thank you very much too THP and Bridgestone for the opportunity to test this great ball.

Great review cool! Glad they made it up there and good on ya for braving the conditions. It sounds like you've found your regular gamer!

Great review cool! Glad they made it up there and good on ya for braving the conditions. It sounds like you've found your regular gamer!

Thanks TC. I didn't want to write another review in this thread that was just gushing over these balls, but they were much better than I expected. I still have all three and will game them until they are gone, but as soon as these are for sale they will be my ball.

I really want to thank all of the people that have been involved in these reviews as there is really a good deal of valuable information here as a result.

I have been tramping around the local area trying to settle on which course to call home next year. Playing many different courses under varying conditions when all the crews are out taking care of fall maintenance is enough of a challenge. While I really have been thinking about a ball change, I just don’t see how I could have given any of the available contenders a fair shot.

In my case I have been gaming the older version 330S all year. I figured just coming back to the game this year after such a long layoff, the 330S was going to be the best choice for me. As I have gotten better all year and have gotten all of my clubs fitted, I really started to question whether I should continue to game the 330S. In fact I was strongly considering Titleist ProV1 as a replacement. I really was concerned about going down that road because regardless of any other issue I might have with the 330S or any other Bridgestone ball, I really think they are onto something with regard to durability.

My main concern with the 330S is that as my swing has improved the trajectory on this ball off my driver is just insane. I am just losing too much distance off the tee with this ball and have to hit it absolutely perfectly to get even decent distance out of it. I have picked up a box of ProV1 balls as I saw them discounted at a local retailer. However I think I will get a box of the new 330 balls as soon as I see them as I am thinking there is a strong likelihood that the 330 is going to be the right ball for me.

Thanks again for all the good work. Looking forward to seeing the additional reviews as they role in.

jnug,

Have you gone through ball-fitting or have you been B-FIT? If not, you really should talk with Bridgestone's experts. I think you'll find them knowledgeable and willing to help.

absolutely loving the reviews on here everyone! extremely through and detailed!!!

I got another 18 holes under my belt with this ball...
I lost my first one too. Plugged in the rough about 3 yards off the green on a par 3. Never saw it again. What a frustrating way to loose a ball.

Aside from my par 3 disappointment this ball is still going strong. I have been playing very good golf recently and have been able to take advantage of everything this ball has to offer. I am seeing slight increases in distance vs my old Zstar which I now know wasn't the best ball for me. I find myself playing 1 less club into each green on my home course despite not making the best driver swings as of late.

The part of the ball I have come to appreciate is it's predictability around the green. I loved my zstar because I KNEW what it would do on every swing around the green and was worried about the 330 not having as much spin. It doesn't. BUT... It behaves in a way that is repeatable and predictable- the most important things in my opinion.

I have also been very impressed with the balls durability. I planned on taking pictures of my ball that has survived 27+ holes but it is somewhere in the ground next to #16. It was pretty beat up but still playable.

The more I play this ball the more I like it... now to put it head to head with the 330-S which I think may be the better ball for me overall.

jnug,

Have you gone through ball-fitting or have you been B-FIT? If not, you really should talk with Bridgestone's experts. I think you'll find them knowledgeable and willing to help.

That is a great suggestion. At the time when I picked the 330S I picked it as part of the process of getting back to a game I had been away from for sixteen years. Had I gone for a ball fitting at that time, the poor guy would likely have recommended a beachball with dimples.

My TOUR B330 testing results:

Played in a charity scramble yesterday and used the B330 for the first time. Unfortunately, I hit 2 cart paths in the first 4 holes. Scuffed up 2 real quick like. Luckily the third one lasted the rest of the round.

Off the tee:
I think I hit some of the longest drives I've ever had. Didn't have a way to measure other than scorecard and yardage markers but it seemed as though I was consistently farther than normal by about 10-20 yards on straight drives. Sliced a few and pulled a couple left but the straight ones felt really good. I also hit one drive that was the absolute straightest I've ever hit. Was worried that my swing speed wouldn't be fast enough since these balls say they are for over 105 mph swings but seemed to be just fine for me.

Approach Shots:
The first few holes I hit this ball over the green. I never do that. Took my normal club for the yardage and flew it right over. I started to club down and things got a bit better but then I came up short a couple of times and started questioning my club choices. But I know my 100 yard swing with my 9 iron and this ball was right on it. Tended to roll out when I hit the green with anything other than a high lofted shot but I can't really spin the ball much at all, if ever. I was pretty happy with the way it held the greens for me.

Chipping:
I prefer the bump and run with my 9 iron if the green is open and this ball worked well for these types of shots. My other preference is my 54 degree wedge for higher shots and I had a bit of trouble getting the ball to stop on the green but as I said before, that's more me than the ball.

Putting:
Felt OK off the putter. I made 2 longer than normal 1 putts for our group but also missed a few short ones. Didn't feel too "clicky" for me and I liked the alignment aid double lines as I do use those for putting.

Overall I would definitely play this ball, as well as recommend it to others. I just hope its not Pro V1 priced!

Thanks again to THP for giving me the chance to try out this product!!

Im writing up my review currently, Just posting in the best shot of your round thread about what happened while I was playing these.

JB, didnt both balls hit the shelves today?

I believe they did.

Kool and I saw that the Srixons are now 2 dozen for 60....Im going to get the new B330 today

View attachment 1605
View attachment 1604
View attachment 1606
View attachment 1607
View attachment 1608
Here is my mini B330 review. I had a chance to play (in a scramble) with the new B330 last weekend, but could not post the review until now due to various reasons, but here it is:
Looks:
This ball looks very similar to the Bridgestone B330-RX (as you can see from the attached pictures new B330 is on the right, older B330-RX is on the left). I love the alignment aids and the logos on the ball. Very classy.

Performance:
Driver -
I didn't really put it through it's paces, but I loved what I saw. Being used to playing a ProV1, I like the fact that I found that I was hitting it straighter, and slightly longer (maybe 5 yards). With my old ProV1 I was usually 5-10 yards longer than a couple of the guys I was playing with, but I was usually 20+ yards further down than they were. This could have been them having a bad day, but I attribute it to the better ball!

Irons -
Again I loved it, as it was going the distance I was accustomed to, with a straight ball flight. Actually it took some of my normal draw away, so I missed a couple to the right. I'd get used to that though.

Wedges -
I didn't find this ball has as much spin on wedge shots as my normal ball. Again, without more testing I can't say if this was me, or the ball but I noticed it rolling out more.

Putting -
I just could not get used to this ball off the putter, it felt hard to me. I ended up putting with the ProV1 most of the time. This is likely a learning experience.

Overall, I did like the ball, and I feel like if I get another shot to put it in play and get used to the roll and putting, it would actually be a better ball for me.

Nice review Belbin

Nice job belbin. Only 5 to 10 yards past your buddies?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Nice job belbin. Only 5 to 10 yards past your buddies?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

They grow their boys BIG in Canada.
Who here would like to be within 10 yards of Belbin every drive?

Great review. I agree that the ball has less spin around the greens than some other premium balls, so I don't think that it is you. You hit the nail on the head though, that it is predictable. Its a nice trade off though- less spin off the driver for a little more distance and a little more straight, which you seemed to see as well.

I am glad you got a chance to play them- I know you were worried about not getting them before the snows came!

If there is ball, driver or steroid that can make happen I'm buying that product!

I can think of one guy. And quite a few got a sample of biggsy's length off the tee at the first outing. His SS alone is on the home page under the SF review and is crazy!

I can think of one guy. And quite a few got a sample of biggsy's length off the tee at the first outing. His SS alone is on the home page under the SF review and is crazy!

I am well aware of the man-crushing on biggy's length after the first outing.

Can you imagine a normal 4-some that included 3 such players? I know there are a lot of people who can drive that far- i guess i just don't expect them to assemble in the same place (unless it is a tour stop!)

Can you imagine a normal 4-some that included 3 such players? I know there are a lot of people who can drive that far- i guess i just don't expect them to assemble in the same place (unless it is a tour stop!)

I remember talking to Mrs Belbin and she was saying she thought everyone hit the ball that far when she first started playing!

this is such a sneaky funny post....it reads/sounds like a movie trailer

'I can think of one guy......his SS alone is the thing men talk about......the thing that women want.....he is.....biggsy!'

this is such a sneaky funny post....it reads/sounds like a movie trailer

'I can think of one guy......his SS alone is the thing men talk about......the thing that women want.....he is....Pale Rider!'

Too easy Hanks. Too easy.

I play in that 4some. Biggsy, CRucker, etc... Im the shortest hitter by 40 yards at least off of every tee.

Or worse, try playing with the Sligo guys. All of them have distance like that. I dont let it affect me. Just play my game and worry about the scorecard later. Of course with the Sligo guys, I have that to worry about too, because they are all REALLY good.

I play in that 4some. Biggsy, CRucker, etc... Im the shortest hitter by 40 yards at least off of every tee.

Or worse, try playing with the Sligo guys. All of them have distance like that. I dont let it affect me. Just play my game and worry about the scorecard later. Of course with the Sligo guys, I have that to worry about too, because they are all REALLY good.
I know off topic but you're all veering that way so I'm just following, Josh I really hope that we can get something setup with the infamous Sligo guys in January, I think this would be one heck of a good time on the golf course!

Back