Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
I've mentioned in some of my posts here over the last five or so months how my daughter, Junior Lancer, has struggled with some wrist soreness we assumed was tendonitis. She plowed through a summer of practice, lessons, and tournaments wearing a wrist brace. The pain level varied, most of the time bearable, usually less when she was swinging well. When she would take a little time off, it would seem to improve. As the weather cooled over the last six weeks or so, it seemed to get a little worse. As the season is almost over here in Cheeseland, we decided to take her in to get checked.

We found a sports medicine pediatrician who was an Evans Scholar undergrad. Can't go wrong there, right? Well she ended up having her wrist poked, squeezed, twisted, and bent by two doctors, and having her wrist x-rayed. She had a buckle fracture of this wrist as a little girl, so they wanted to check for a bone problem. The x-rays indicated no problems along those lines. The doctors are concerned because we told them she has rested it for a couple of weeks, took Advil, and iced it, yet the pain persisted.

So tomorrow she goes in for an MRI. The hope is she is only suffering from tendonitis, however, there is a possibility she has a tear in the triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC), which is a ligament and cartilage complex that controls motion in the wrist. If she does, and the tear is of a certain severity, surgery may be necessary. That would require an extended post op period in a cast, though she most likely would be back playing by spring after rehab.

The doctors puts the tendonitis vs tear odds at 50%. So we're hopeful the right side of the coin comes up, and some rest and physical therapy does the trick.

So wish the kid luck. She wants to play golf in FL in December.

Kevin

oh man, i hate to hear that esox. i hope that you guys get some good feedback and that it doesn't hamper your plans for your orlando vacation this december. i'll be sending some positive vibes up that way!

Good luck JL.

Esox, I am around sports injuries all the time (I play 1A football, where we play with broke bones, dislocations, ect) and just know that whatever the doctor says, you listen to them. I know plenty of guys who are messed up because they didn't know when to call it quits.

Kevin -- Buddy,,,, my prayers are with ya and hopefully you can post some good news soon!

Best wishes for the esox clan. Any possibility you can flip a coin with two heads?

Pass on my best wishes to J.L.

I can tell how close of a family you are through all of your posts- and the one thing that doesn't hide is how much you love your little girl. Whatever happens she has you- there isn't much better than that. Even golf in Orlando.

I'll be praying for you guys!

Wish her the best of luck. Hand and wrist injuries are some of the worst. Hope it is a quick fix and just tendinitis. This weather is a pain for me and my arthritis so hopefully it ends up being just a minor setback.

Said a quick prayer for you, your wife and your daughter. It's clear how much your daughter means to you Kevin - you show a great deal of love for her and sound like a great dad. Keep us updated on what's next. Take care.

Dang Kevin, sorry to hear JL is suffering. I'll pass along a special request and she should be good to go soon. Your on the right track dad, good luck and all hopes are in your direction.

Get well soon. I had sone wrist issues as junior but overcame it with no lasting issues. Good thing about being young, is you heal up. You and your family are in my thought.

I hope they flip the coin the right way, it really sucks when kids are ill.
Good luck and speedy recovery JL!

Thanks to everyone for the positive thoughts. She had the MRI this morning and breezed through it like the trooper she is. Results should be to the doctor by Monday, so we'll be having a tense weekend.

Here's to hoping the coin comes up tendonitis.

Kevin

Best wishes to JL Esox! Hope everything works out for the best!

My best wishes and prayers to Junior Lancer and to the Essox family. Heres to hoping Monday brings good news.

Kevin, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hope everything turns out ok, Kevin :)

Positive vibes out to the Esox family. Hoping your Christmas vacation is a happy family vacation.

THoughts are with you and your family. Really, really hope all goes well.

really hope everything turns out ok. good luck you two

Geez I hate it when they make people wait through the weekend. No disrespect to your doc. Hope it is the least of possible injuries. Good luck!!

Here's to hoping for tendonitis for Junior Lancer. Hope you have good news on Monday.

Best of luck to Junior Lancer Esox! I hope it all works out...and soon!!

Hope its all ok Esox! Praying for JL! I know She'll be playing again soon!

Back