THP 2011 Club Testing Results

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We had 6-8 people come on down to THP HQ and test some of the new equipment coming out over the next few months. There were plenty of drivers, FW woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putters.

This thread will serve as a place for those in attendance to share what they tried out and their thoughts. It is also a thread for you to ask any questions that you may have about equipment that they may have had a chance to hit.

well, i left the weekend with one thing immediately on the radar and another thing that was an absolute eye opener for me. a lot of the reason i was down there was b/c i have been struggling a lot lately on the greens. struggling so much that i have been emailing a putter fitter back and forth trying to figure out what i need, what works best for me. he recommended a center shafted putter and THP was able to get a Seemore Si1 for me to spend some time with while down there. JB was kind enough to spend a bit of time with me, helping me with proper technique, stance, grip, etc. it was actually a pretty easy transition and the only thing i really struggled with was i had a habit of getting the toe of the putter off of the ground, and when i did, i saw a lot of pulled putts.

the Si1 offers an incredible soft feel for me, and i've always used an insert putter so this wasn't too difficult of a transition when it came to getting the speed right. we were talking about this putter a good bit and i think the one thing i can safely say is that it just makes me a better putter, and that's exactly what i was looking for.

the other thing that really blew me away were the mizuno JPX 800 irons. i hit them at the demo day at the outing but i felt like they went nowhere, and now i'm certain that had a lot to do with the wind at PGA National. i was hitting the JPX 800's next to my burner 2.0 and the MP 53. i can honestly say that i can tell zero difference in feel with well struck balls between all 3 sets. call me crazy or whatever but it's just not there for me. at any rate, the 53's are pretty at address but i don't care about all that. it is by far the shortest iron of the bunch and when not struck solidly, it's not a fun club to have in your hands, so i had no problem putting it back.

the JPX 800 however was a lovely surprise for me and i spent most of my time on the range hitting it, and it alone. i thought they offered a nice ball flight for me and i could definitely get the feedback i look for in an iron. i knew if i hit one out on the toe for sure and you definitely felt it in your hands. i think one of my favorite things about this iron is the leading edge. it seems to be a bit sharper than the 2.0's so turf interaction was pretty awesome. i'm not a huge divot taker at all but with these i was seeing a bit more turf being flung up into the air. to me, that always makes you feel like you've hit a great shot sometimes, haha. the 800's aren't as long as the 2.0's but they aren't to far behind them either. i never thought i would say this based on my experience with them at PGA National, but i would put these in the bag in no time.

i also spent some time testing some shafts and came away very happy to have the shaft that i have already. there was nothing there that i felt would replace my kusala black miyazaki shaft. i tested the new attas t2, the project x 7.0, the c. kua 72x, the c. kua 53s, and the aldilla rip shaft. of the shafts i tested i played with the project x 7.0 and while it felt nice it didn't give me what i'm use to with what i have. i had a tendency to balloon the ball with it, but i'm sure a lot of that had to do with the wind.

i'd like to thank JB and GG for being such wonderful hosts, for putting up with my loud, obnoxious voice late and night and early in the morning, and for all the effort in getting some equipment there for us to test. i'm worn out and feel like i could sleep for a day or two, but it was a lot of fun. we played hard, tested hard, ate well, and shared to many laughs. i met some new THP'ers and came away impressed with everyone i met. thanks again.

TC what are you thoughts on the RIP? I really like that shaft just I am having a hard time finding a good mix with it.

TC what are you thoughts on the RIP? I really like that shaft just I am having a hard time finding a good mix with it.

it was probably my second favorite behind the PX 7.0 when i was doing some range testing. it was bstonerjk's shaft so i didn't have the chance to put it into play at all. it felt really, really solid yoccos, and i thought the ball flight it offered for me was very good. i'm not sure it would replace my miyazaki but if i had to choose it would be either the RIP or the PX. i would want to spend more time with them of course.

I appreciate the feedback because I was definitely looking to see how it compared to a Miyazaki. Also interesting to hear your thoughts on the JPX. I had the exact same thoughts when I hit them the other day at a golf store.
it was probably my second favorite behind the PX 7.0 when i was doing some range testing. it was bstonerjk's shaft so i didn't have the chance to put it into play at all. it felt really, really solid yoccos, and i thought the ball flight it offered for me was very good. i'm not sure it would replace my miyazaki but if i had to choose it would be either the RIP or the PX. i would want to spend more time with them of course.

What exactly do you want to know about the 800's man? I liked them a lot and I think with some s300's they might be a great fit for me.

I appreciate the feedback because I was definitely looking to see how it compared to a Miyazaki. Also interesting to hear your thoughts on the JPX. I had the exact same thoughts when I hit them the other day at a golf store.

What kind of flight do they have? When I hit them at the outing.. CHUNK mixed in with good so all I remember is CHUNK.

When I hit them at the shop they felt CRISP but this was on mats. Do they take out longer or deeper divits? Haha, just because I've been known to dig every now and then.
What exactly do you want to know about the 800's man? I liked them a lot and I think with some s300's they might be a great fit for me.

Glad that you found a putter while you were down there, TC.

What kind of flight do they have? When I hit them at the outing.. CHUNK mixed in with good so all I remember is CHUNK.

When I hit them at the shop they felt CRISP but this was on mats. Do they take out longer or deeper divits? Haha, just because I've been known to dig every now and then.

the ball flight was actually pretty awesome considering there were r300 shafts in them, that's why i think with s300's they would be ideal for me. i just loved how responsive they were for me yoccos. for me, yes, longer divots but not deeper. i don't take deep divots anyway. like i said in my OP, i loved turf interaction and the leading edge on these sticks. the more i sit hit and think about them, and type, the more i want them.

Glad that you found a putter while you were down there, TC.

thanks hawk, it was fun being able to roll one for hours, then take it on the course. i actually made a fair amount of longer putts on saturday with biggsy, bstonerjk, and sw fla. to bad they were all for bogeys, haha.

Lol. I won't tell the burners!!! That's great to hear on the divots. I love seeing turf fly. They are really crisp irons.
the ball flight was actually pretty awesome considering there were r300 shafts in them, that's why i think with s300's they would be ideal for me. i just loved how responsive they were for me yoccos. for me, yes, longer divots but not deeper. i don't take deep divots anyway. like i said in my OP, i loved turf interaction and the leading edge on these sticks. the more i sit hit and think about them, and type, the more i want them.

Heck of a right-up TC. I too look forward to trying those 800's again. I loved them at the outing and even in the wind they gave me a great trajectory. I need to get to the monitor for some numbers with these.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I'm not sure i'd need monitor numbers for myself duey. I liked what I saw live, outdoors on the range.

Heck of a right-up TC. I too look forward to trying those 800's again. I loved them at the outing and even in the wind they gave me a great trajectory. I need to get to the monitor for some numbers with these.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

My main focus was on the Razr irons. In simple summation of that experience, I will say this: Diablo Forged > Razr X Tour > Razr X Forged.

I tried the Octane again and I really liked it this time around. I also tried the C. Kua 72x in my supertri. I loved it when I was swinging as hard as I could, but it was a bit too stiff for my normal swing.

Sent from my iPhone so please ignore my horrid typing mistakes

My main focus was on the Razr irons. In simple summation of that experience, I will say this: Diablo Forged > Razr X Tour > Razr X Forged.

I tried the Octane again and I really liked it this time around. I also tried the C. Kua 72x in my supertri. I loved it when I was swinging as hard as I could, but it was a bit too stiff for my normal swing.

Sent from my iPhone so please ignore my horrid typing mistakes

Man, thats what I am trying to get away from, I have slowly learned that I need to make a smoother swing. Its something I am working on and I see you have been doing that. It just makes golf easier

Man, thats what I am trying to get away from, I have slowly learned that I need to make a smoother swing. Its something I am working on and I see you have been doing that. It just makes golf easier

Yeah, I instantly regretted taking it on the course with me when I took my first normal swing. Normal for me is around 108-110 and this thing felt like a board. Swinging out of my shoes is 118-123 and at that speed this thing performed perfectly and felt just great, but there is no way I could do that all the time and get away with it. The Kusala Black is the shaft for me.

Good to hear TC's experience with the JPX was so good especially after testing the Burner 2.0's Right now of the iron sets I'm looking at for next year the JPX-800 and the Burner 2.0's are leading the pack (still need to hit them of course, c'mon demo day).

I know alot of us were curious about the Mashie vs. Other hybrids with the Miyzaki hybrid shaft. Did that test happen and if so what was determind?

Good to hear TC's experience with the JPX was so good especially after testing the Burner 2.0's Right now of the iron sets I'm looking at for next year the JPX-800 and the Burner 2.0's are leading the pack (still need to hit them of course, c'mon demo day).

it will be an interesting showdown for sure. i've never played a round of golf with the 800's so i can't comment to much about how they perform on the course. OEM played with them at sarasota national with setho, hanks, and myself and he hit them well. they are the type of club that you can hear when you mishit it, they offer good feedback, but so do the 2.0's.

I know alot of us were curious about the Mashie vs. Other hybrids with the Miyzaki hybrid shaft. Did that test happen and if so what was determind?

no such testing took place rhino, as none of the other hybrids had c. kua's in them. the mashie was pitted against other hybrids with their stock shafts and the mashie still destroyed the competition for the testers. i think i heard "it's like cheating" a thousand times, and it is the perfect description of how the mashie performed for everyone.

I will say this about the Mashie, it is better than any other hybrid I have ever hit. I don't like hybrids much, but I like the Mashie.

Good stuff TC, I am really happy for you that you liked that putter. Hopefully that's the answer you have been looking for with the flat stick. How great is it that guy you've been emailing suggested that putter and Josh just happened to have it in lefty? It's almost like divine intervention! Thanks for the great comparison of your Burner 2.0s to the 2 sets of Mizunos you hit, I would have expected the distance difference between the 53s and the other two, but you're telling me that feel was the same between the 2.0s and the MP-53s huh? That's a huge statement for the Burner 2.0s! Personally I do notice a little less feel with the Burners coming from my MP-57s but that's not for this thread. Thanks for the info buddy!

I will say this about the Mashie, it is better than any other hybrid I have ever hit. I don't always hit hybrids, but when I do, it's the Mashie. Stay thirsty my friends.
FIFY SethO, aka the most interesting man in the world.

As was explained earlier, we do not have extra C. Kua hybrid shafts. Also combining a C. Kua shaft with another hybrid brings the price of that hybrid to close to double what the Mashie would be.

Because the C. Kua is standard in the Mashie, we tested it against other standard offerings.

If people do have C. Kua hybrid shafts available we urge them to do tests in this matter if they would like to. However cost alone would make it prohibitive as it would bring the hybrid cost to over $300 for just about every option.

hah, yeah I'm also interested in the mashie, I really like my current hybrid and I don't hit the higher irons well at all (of course I haven't tried the burner 2.0 magic 3 iron yet) so those are also on the list for next year.

Back