Martin Kaymer Declines PGA Tour

You guys starting to get a little shaky with your 'come and play the best players' argument yet? They're slipping away, one by one..... :wink:

But the PGA Tour has not LOST anybody. Keep that in mind. It is always the other way around.

But the PGA Tour has not LOST anybody. Keep that in mind. It is always the other way around.

Ah true. They haven't lost players, just ranking places.... :D

ummm, didnt the Euro tour keep AK from playing because he didnt play enough events? Why dont we do the same to them?

ummm, didnt the Euro tour keep AK from playing because he didnt play enough events? Why dont we do the same to them?

that's the same question i posed above dude. i agree, why should they be able to come over and play the big purse events? euro snob-ism, i don't like it.

Come on, you guys need the high ranking players to play the events so you can still argue that they're the biggest events. :wink:

Don't worry guys, I'm almost done with this bashing.... :D

that's the same question i posed above dude. i agree, why should they be able to come over and play the big purse events? euro snob-ism, i don't like it.

I with both of you. Stay over there if youre not going to play all the events we dont need you.

Come on, you guys need the high ranking players to play the events so you can still argue that they're the biggest events. :wink:

Don't worry guys, I'm almost done with this bashing.... :D

If this is your best bashing, that says a lot about the Euro Tour. They have lost just about every high level player to the PGA Tour, and frankly Lego Man, Westtooth, and Rory want to stay behind and that is the best you got? Winning is better than losing, and these guys know they cant cut it over here. Plain and simple. :act-up:

Come back and talk to me when someone of a name leaves the PGA Tour to play with Montguntery and Westtooth

If this is your best bashing, that says a lot about the Euro Tour. They have lost just about every high level player to the PGA Tour, and frankly Lego Man, Westtooth, and Rory want to stay behind and that is the best you got? Winning is better than losing, and these guys know they cant cut it over here. Plain and simple. :act-up:

Come back and talk to me when someone of a name leaves the PGA Tour to play with Montguntery and Westtooth

Ouch, that hurts! :wink:

I reckon Westwood and Kaymer played a while over there to make a fast buck, and get themselves to the top of the rankings by picking up the easy points. They've realised quickly that it's boring playing the same point n shoot golf week in week out and left it for the pocket-stuffers who pad their positions in the money list with top-20s every 2nd week, and instead decided to test themselves against the only opposition that matters in this game.....the best combinations of course and conditions in the world.

(ok, I guess that's all I've got, dammit) :D

Then why did they (Euro Tour) turn down AK for a card? It would seem that they would want to get him over there more often/

I think they denied AK the card because they do not want to chance an American winning the Race to Dubai. I bet they believe that would, ultimately, be harmful for their ratings, etc. They probably wouldn't care as much if a joint euro/US tour guy won the Dubai Race if it was someone like Padraig, Sabatini or some other foreigner playing the PGA, but not an American.

the best combinations of course and conditions in the world.

(ok, I guess that's all I've got, dammit) :D

Or they realize that they just cannot compete with better competition week in and week out. And westtooth was sick of getting made fun of for his lack of dental visits. Comments such as "You look like someone smacked a pumpkin in the face with a cement shovel" come to mind.

As for your last comment. Yeah, I will leave the quote in your signature from Puttin4bird speak the truth.

I was a big fan of both of these guys but this is pretty weak.

I don't get it. If lego head wants to play full time with westwood on the euro tour, neither will get any supporting arguments from me concerning their world ranking. C'mon boys, come play with the big boys.

COUGH! have you seen the world rankings of late it seems the Euro's have the "big boys" covered, no?

COUGH! have you seen the world rankings of late it seems the Euro's have the "big boys" covered, no?

Yah cause WGR are completely valid and have no flaws to speak of. Tiger was #1 the entire year and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the best golfer out there.

So u need me to explain how the points system works? It's the system that is used and that won't change anytime soon.

Alot of players especially outside of the US want to be seen as global players just like Nicklaus and Player were regarded.

The top guys don't need to play the US tour for the money, they make good coin in sponsorships. It's about setting themselves up the best they can for a shot at the majors. If that means playing the euro tour and staying in your own house without having to move your family why wouldn't you.

It will be interesting to see the new tv deal next year with woods perhaps not the messiah he was 10 years ago.

So u need me to explain how the points system works? It's the system that is used and that won't change anytime soon.

Alot of players especially outside of the US want to be seen as global players just like Nicklaus and Player were regarded.

The top guys don't need to play the US tour for the money, they make good coin in sponsorships. It's about setting themselves up the best they can for a shot at the majors. If that means playing the euro tour and staying in your own house without having to move your family why wouldn't you.

It will be interesting to see the new tv deal next year with woods perhaps not the messiah he was 10 years ago.

Wouldnt that be playing against the best competition week in and week out? And it is not even arguable what is the best tour right now top to bottom for talent. More top players leave other tours to come to the US than stay, and NONE of the top US players leave to play on other tours regularly. The PGA Tour RIGHT NOW is the best tour on the planet, that is why it is even remotely news when someone declines to play on it.

Someone argued the Ryder Cup showing that the Euro Tour was on the same level. Yet half of their players on that team call the PGA Tour home.

No one is saying it is NOT the #1 tour in the world. The guys in question all know they are good enough to mix it with the best on the PGA. What I am saying is they want to play on the euro as it is closer to home for them and there is more differentials in the courses there. Outside of the 3 majors in the US there is alot of same-same with the courses on the tour.

It's about what works for the player.

I am with you JB only I would go one step more.

I don't think the Ryder Cup says a single thing about the relative strength of either tour. The Ryder Cup result is not relevant to the argument regardless of who takes the Cup home. As for the three Euro golfers that have been mentioned here I don't think I really care where Westooth and Lego Man end up. I won't miss either one and neither will the US tour. I will miss seeing Rory go head to head with what is the bulk of the young talent in this game which is over here. I don't think Rory fears the competion over here. However I could easily see his friends and advisors including those that are also Euro Tour players bending his ear and I can see him being swayed toward staying on the Euro tour.

No one is saying it is NOT the #1 tour in the world. The guys in question all know they are good enough to mix it with the best on the PGA. What I am saying is they want to play on the euro as it is closer to home for them and there is more differentials in the courses there. Outside of the 3 majors in the US there is alot of same-same with the courses on the tour.

It's about what works for the player.

Is there really that much more differentials? In the US, almost every tour stop area it seems has a completely different kind of grass. Having played on both sides, I can see the argument both ways. In the next THP: The Magazine, our interview with Bam Bam (who has played everywhere) talks about this very thing and the difficulty of courses in Europe compared to the US. Very interesting stuff. I wont give away too much info, but she disagrees with your thoughts a little bit.

So it would be an opinion piece? mmmm.....

Look we could go back and forth on this forever so.....

Just enjoy the "world" players when they come to the US and see if they can match the US guys. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't.

And watchout for the lads from Korea in the next 5 years or so.

Don't take it as a slap in the face to the US tour. It's not.
I think u will see some euro guys do this for a year or two and then perhaps go back to the US. They are just trying to see what works for them I think.

So it would be an opinion piece? mmmm.....

Look we could go back and forth on this forever so.....

Just enjoy the "world" players when they come to the US and see if they can match the US guys. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't.

And watchout for the lads from Korea in the next 5 years or so.

Don't take it as a slap in the face to the US tour. It's not.
I think u will see some euro guys do this for a year or two and then perhaps go back to the US. They are just trying to see what works for them I think.

As stated, it is an interview with one of the best players in the world on the LPGA. Someone that has played all over this world. And her opinion. Just like it is your opinion that there is more differentials in other places. It is what it is, nothing more than debatable banter.

After thinking about it, I don't really see an issue either way. It's all about the majors and wgv events, and that's what they'll play. In between those events, it really doesn't matter. I can only count maybe 5 events other than those that I truly enjoy, and a ton of events I really have started to dislike.

Depends on what a player wants. Maybe Kaymer is more comfortable in Europe? Maybe it's a family thing? Maybe his golfing priorities are different? In any case it's his career and his decision.

Back