Srixon Z-Star Driver

Ah thats neat, thanks. And I assume as time goes on the MAPs get lower?
DIfferent numbers. MSRP is the full retail price that most places would not even be close to selling at. Some Green Grass shops maybe. MAP (minimum advertised price) is what companies can sell for at the floor level (meaning bottom).

For example - Titleist Pro V1 golf balls carry a MSRP of $58 per dozen.

Cleveland/Srixon seems to be so ahead of the game with their stock shaft options. But their heads have not been universally loved. This puppy is mighty fine though. Ill have to give it a try

Ah thats neat, thanks. And I assume as time goes on the MAPs get lower?

Cleveland/Srixon seems to be so ahead of the game with their stock shaft options. But their heads have not been universally loved. This puppy is mighty fine though. Ill have to give it a try

That is correct. MAP can become lower as time goes by.

I think part of that has to do with marketing and part of it has to do with availability. Similar to Bridgestone, Srixon is HUGE in the Japanese market. They both battle it out each year for supremacy over there. Also remember that while they are owned by the same company, they are different club companies. Sumitomo Rubber company owns SRI sports, and SRI owns each company. While they share info and ideas, they each have their own R&D dept and do very different things.

Its a very interesting dynamic on what is going on at SRI Sports and the partnerships they can create, that is for sure.

Oh really? I didnt know that Cleveland and Srixon were really only joined at the head. Its a great call to partner on the miyazaki stuff though

That is correct. MAP can become lower as time goes by.

I think part of that has to do with marketing and part of it has to do with availability. Similar to Bridgestone, Srixon is HUGE in the Japanese market. They both battle it out each year for supremacy over there. Also remember that while they are owned by the same company, they are different club companies. Sumitomo Rubber company owns SRI sports, and SRI owns each company. While they share info and ideas, they each have their own R&D dept and do very different things.

Its a very interesting dynamic on what is going on at SRI Sports and the partnerships they can create, that is for sure.

Oh really? I didnt know that Cleveland and Srixon were really only joined at the head. Its a great call to partner on the miyazaki stuff though

I think in simplified terms that is correct. However always remember what is joined at the top, will usually share info. Similar to Cobra/Titleist when they were joined at Acushnet. SRI Sports has quite a few brands in golf, as well as many other things such as tennis.

I dont even know what site people are talking about. But I dont think it is a big deal at all.

As for the price, I think in some ways you get what you pay for in terms of shaft/head combo, plus adjustability (not quality means price, just that many are similar). Take a look at the R9 when it launched, the Titleist 910 series, and you will see the same price. I know people want to see a lower price (as we all do), but take a $250 shaft, add club head, and adjustability by a high end club maker and you get $399 in many cases. Im just surprised people are upset at the price here (again, not you, just feedback we are hearing), yet it is the same price as the new Titleist 910.

Welcome to THP by the way, glad to have you.

Check out the home page and we talk about it in detail. Also in this thread. Pics coming in the review.

I thought it was more than $399. I would definitely consider it for that price.

I thought it was more than $399. I would definitely consider it for that price.

Were told straight from the company that it is going to be MAP of $399. I like the price point on this one and in the next couple of days will put it head to head against others in the price range.

Welcome to THP Russ!

Thanks. Ive actually been a troll in hiding here. Just finally got around to posting.

Great site with some good information.

That is a SWEET looking driver, WOW!!!

It really looks like Srixon pulled out all the stops, look, adjustability, great stock shaft and I really like how user friendly they made the driver.
Beside the shaft, is it much of an improvement over the super tri?

It really looks like Srixon pulled out all the stops, look, adjustability, great stock shaft and I really like how user friendly they made the driver.
Beside the shaft, is it much of an improvement over the super tri?

Hard to say. I play the SuperTri with the Miyazaki Blue shaft now. Or did until I started playing this Srixon. Im not seeing a distance increase really, but what I am seeing is tighter shot dispersion and better overall launch numbers for myself. Plus, I find it a little more forgiving higher up on the club face.

JB,
Not sure if you covered it, but how did the spin compare betweent the ST and the Srixon? I had a supertri that I couldnt get the spin down no matter what shaft I tried.

Srixon and Cleveland are really impressing me with what they gave coming up.....i definitely want to see this club in my bag ASAP

JB,
Not sure if you covered it, but how did the spin compare betweent the ST and the Srixon? I had a supertri that I couldnt get the spin down no matter what shaft I tried.

Yeah, the SuperTri is a pretty high spin driver, so depending on one's swing speed, it may not work for everybody. There are shafts that can help, but not as much as some may like. I have found this driver to be lower for me. Not by a 1000 RPMs mind you, but enough to get my launch conditions right where I want them. We are going to be doing some launch monitor testing on it coming up next week, and I will have more info on a larger sampling of players coming up then.

Srixon and Cleveland are really impressing me with what they gave coming up.....i definitely want to see this club in my bag ASAP

Spring 2011 you will be able to grab one....

Wow...just stumbled across this thread. This is a hot looking driver and I love the stock Miyazaki offering. Can't wait to hit this at the THP Demo day in May!

Hard to say. I play the SuperTri with the Miyazaki Blue shaft now. Or did until I started playing this Srixon. Im not seeing a distance increase really, but what I am seeing is tighter shot dispersion and better overall launch numbers for myself. Plus, I find it a little more forgiving higher up on the club face.

Does sound great. That is exactly what I am looking for in a driver...tighter shot dispersion. Excited to see the data you guys come up with.

Yeah, the SuperTri is a pretty high spin driver, so depending on one's swing speed, it may not work for everybody. There are shafts that can help, but not as much as some may like. I have found this driver to be lower for me. Not by a 1000 RPMs mind you, but enough to get my launch conditions right where I want them. We are going to be doing some launch monitor testing on it coming up next week, and I will have more info on a larger sampling of players coming up then.

Nice. Will be interested in seeing those results. I tried the 72-s Miz Black and still no go on bringing the spin down. Im using the R9s (8.5/ Fubuki Alpha) and 9.5 (Kai'li) but.... that dang itch

JB is there any possibility of comparing the spin on this driver compared to the Bridgestone J38? I know you are in the process of moving, so if or when you have the chance I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. I am looking for a lower spin driver and I am definatly considering these two.

To echo JB's thoughts about the ST which I too play, initially I did have some spin and launch issues but I was able to take care of most of it with a fujikura F1 shaft. I have yet to try a Miyazaki shaft but I'm very much looking forward to try this Srixon head and Miyazaki Dromos combo. It's going to be quite hard to wait until spring!
I play Srixonballs (Z-star) and really think that their products are top of the line but somehow I never got try there clubs though availability might be to blame.
I understand that Cleveland and Srixon are sister companies to some degrees, yet they do not appear to share the same distribution network. With such new products (driver, Fw) coming out, I really hope that Srixon will make an effort to ensure that it's products can be found in more pro-shops/golf stores.

To echo JB's thoughts about the ST which I too play, initially I did have some spin and launch issues but I was able to take care of most of it with a fujikura F1 shaft. I have yet to try a Miyazaki shaft but I'm very much looking forward to try this Srixon head and Miyazaki Dromos combo. It's going to be quite hard to wait until spring!
I play Srixonballs (Z-star) and really think that their products are top of the line but somehow I never got try there clubs though availability might be to blame.
I understand that Cleveland and Srixon are sister companies to some degrees, yet they do not appear to share the same distribution network. With such new products (driver, Fw) coming out, I really hope that Srixon will make an effort to ensure that it's products can be found in more pro-shops/golf stores.

I really struggled with the Motore F1 shaft having too much launch and too much spin for me. Changing to the black lowered my launch by almost 4* and reduced my spin by a very wide margin. I also have a VERY high natural driver flight. I say all of this just to point out how much different shaft behave for different people

JB is there any possibility of comparing the spin on this driver compared to the Bridgestone J38? I know you are in the process of moving, so if or when you have the chance I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. I am looking for a lower spin driver and I am definatly considering these two.

I dont have a J38 RW. But I can tell you based on my launch numbers alone that the J38 is definitely lower in spin. Spin killing is such a misnomer, because we hear about too much spin all the time. The truth is many amateurs need spin to create distance. Its all about finding that proper launch condition in a fitting. I would say that there is almost no question, that the J38 is lower in spin in this one.

I really struggled with the Motore F1 shaft having too much launch and too much spin for me. Changing to the black lowered my launch by almost 4* and reduced my spin by a very wide margin. I also have a VERY high natural driver flight. I say all of this just to point out how much different shaft behave for different people

i saw almost the same exact thing gus! i tested a slew of new shafts while at THP HQ a couple of weekends ago, and nothing works for me like the miya black does. finding out that this Zstar driver isn't going to offer an x stiff is somewhat odd, but like JB said, finding the perfect flex code is what's key more than anything.

this driver/shaft combo is smoking! it's tremendous looking and now that i have a couple of rounds under my belt with JB, there's no doubt that this is the best driver i've seen him hit. he hit it very consistently and imo, it offered him ideal ball flight. i think there will be a lot of folks that convert to this driver once they hit it.

JB has there been any mention of a Tour style head? Like 430 cc and a X stiff shaft?

I dont have a J38 RW. But I can tell you based on my launch numbers alone that the J38 is definitely lower in spin. Spin killing is such a misnomer, because we hear about too much spin all the time. The truth is many amateurs need spin to create distance. Its all about finding that proper launch condition in a fitting. I would say that there is almost no question, that the J38 is lower in spin in this one.

Thanks for the response there JB. I am really looking forward to trying out this driver along with several others.

Back