Cleveland Mashie Review

Yep, I swing a regular flex.
As far as looks go. From the top, it has a similar head shape to my Fybrid, but other than that, it is completely different. The face shape is different, the sole is different. I see what Vadim is saying after looking at Cobra pics. Yes, they both have rails, but there are some very big differences as well. In the end, it is a hybrid and looks like one, but it has some very unique qualities.
Nice, looking forward to your reviews even more, dude!

$199

I speculate.
Not bad not bad at all.

$199 seems a bit high for me for a hybrid, that's usually what 3woods start out at. i'd think the mashie would retail for somewhere around $129-$159, but again, speculation.

I like your speculation more!
$199 seems a bit high for me for a hybrid, that's usually what 3woods start out at. i'd think the mashie would retail for somewhere around $129-$159, but again, speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats true $199 is more 3W territory. So $159 - 179 and a Miyazaki shaft, cant beat that.

Sweet first review for you Hawk, good luck and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I'm not as Mashie crazy as the rest of the board, sure they've got a great shaft in it but it looks like a fishing sinker to me. Can't argue with good results though, hopefully you find just that with the Mashie.

Still....I'm only really seeing the C.Kua shafts on ebay and those are running $250. If this hybrid lands at $199 I'd likely still buy it as it'll be cheaper than any other hybrid + reshafting by a long shot.

I disagree TC. The mashie looks very similar to the Nickents I currently play, along with the Wilson Staff and the Cobra. The materials used are different butthe basic shape of the club is quite similar. At least it was to me when I was hitting the Mashie on the range and then the Cobra and Wilson on the course at the outing.

is it a lot different than cobra baffler? looks pretty similar

Yep, I swing a regular flex.

As far as looks go. From the top, it has a similar head shape to my Fybrid, but other than that, it is completely different. The face shape is different, the sole is different. I see what Vadim is saying after looking at Cobra pics. Yes, they both have rails, but there are some very big differences as well. In the end, it is a hybrid and looks like one, but it has some very unique qualities.

Im with you hawk. WIth the exception of maybe the shape of the crown and a few hybrids have rails, this one is very different to me. Edges appear different, finish is obviously different, and even when laying them down next to each other, they just look different in shape as well.

Still....I'm only really seeing the C.Kua shafts on ebay and those are running $250. If this hybrid lands at $199 I'd likely still buy it as it'll be cheaper than any other hybrid + reshafting by a long shot.

Im guessing those are driver shafts on ebay right? The hybrid shaft does not carry that price tag. I think the hybrid shaft runs for about $150

I will say one thing prior to this review since there is so much hype for this club. I'm not completely sold on the Mashie from the limited time I spend with it. I hit a few nice shots and saw some really nice ones, but I am interested in testing the different scenarios I use a hybrid for before I come to a final verdict. Basically, I'm going into this with no bias. I like my current hybrids and I'm not taking them out if I can't find something that works better for me.

Knowing Cleveland I'll hedge my bet on this price range. They've always been known for value even with a stock Miyazaki in it. I'd even say it'll retail for $129.

As far as looks all hybrids have their similarities and differences. I'll give some perspective since I hit both the Mashie and the Rail H at the outing. I've always liked the Rail H and it's shaft is pretty good as well and I hit that thing a ton, enough to want to bag it. Then came the outing and when I started bombing away I knew this one was the one. That rail system on both does work with turf interaction and looks wise they both look good with 2 different and distinct finishes. My $.02.

I hope to hear some interesting thoughts on this Hawk as I'm pretty much sold on this but as always I like keep my ear on the rails (haha get it... rails... wakka wakka). :D

I would guess 149-179.

I will say one thing prior to this review since there is so much hype for this club. I'm not completely sold on the Mashie from the limited time I spend with it. I hit a few nice shots and saw some really nice ones, but I am interested in testing the different scenarios I use a hybrid for before I come to a final verdict. Basically, I'm going into this with no bias. I like my current hybrids and I'm not taking them out if I can't find something that works better for me.

I will completely agree with you here. At the demo day, I didnt hit it very well. I also didnt give it much of a chance because I didnt care for the shape right off the bat. I need some more time with this club

If it's this low, how could someone not get 2 of them? potentially replace their 3w and have a hybrid for the price of a top end 3w or last year's driver?
Knowing Cleveland I'll hedge my bet on this price range. They've always been known for value even with a stock Miyazaki in it. I'd even say it'll retail for $129.

If it's this low, how could someone not get 2 of them? potentially replace their 3w and have a hybrid for the price of a top end 3w or last year's driver?

That's a definite possibility. Of course this is just pure speculation and the hope is that they keep their price points down like previous lines. I think Cleveland is going in the right direction and they will be strong in 2011 from all the good buzz they've been deservedly receiving.

Had my first real session with the Mashie today. Of course, I hit it a little bit at The Outing, but I pretty much had a hybrid party today. I hit 100 balls between the Fybrid and the Mashie. Obvously, I will save some things for the review, but in short, I REALLY liked this stick. I actually liked it more than I remembered. The meaning behind that statement is: When I hit it in Florida it was windy as heck and my swing was suffering. I hit a couple nice ones, but didn't have that OMG moment that many others did. Also, I didn't have my hybrid with me to compare.

Disclosures:

1. Today's session was outdoors on mats. I tend to hit hybrids better off of grass.

2. I was trying as hard as I could to swing both clubs the same way and I can't stress enough that I was going in open minded.

That said, I had a few OMG moments today. I teed up a few in the middle of the session to see what happened since I tee off with a hybrid quite often. Smoked a couple that just went and went and went. I tried to recreate it with the Fybrid, but I couldn't. I hit a few good ones with it, but the Mashie was king off the tee. When I was playing directly off the mats, I was aiming at a flag that was near my 4h range and tried to hit it every time. I put quite a few within 5-10 yards of the flag with the Mashie. Compared to the Fybrid, it was about 5-10 yards longer on well struck shots and I found it to be more accurate. Ballflight was high, but piercing. No ballooning. Jusy a steady climb that dropped softly.

A few observations:

1. My Fybrid miss is a stong fade. With the Mashie, I found that my misses were a little pull with a draw (not strong enough to be a hook). Mainly, I noticed these when I tried to overcook my shot. I didn't hit more than a couple to the right with the Mashie. My guess is the shaft makes the difference?

2. Mashie was best if I played a little forward in my stance. Visually, it seemed to gravitate towards the center of my stance, but I was getting much better results with the ball forward.

3. Now I want to try out the 15.5° in a bad way. If it's as solid as the 23° I could have a great confidence club in a spot that I don't have a ton of confidence in currently.

Nice write up Hawk...be careful not to give too much away in this thread, you gotta leave em begging for info buddy!

greaqt initial thoughts Hawk. I'm guessing that's the 4h you've got if its 23*?

Nice Hawk. I'm glad that you had some of the OMG moments. It sure is a sweet club. Can't wait to hear how it turns out on course my friend!

Nice Hawk! I am in the same boat as you since I have a Fybrid 4H. I have been looking for a club to replace it with, can't wait to hear more thoughts.

Nice write up Hawk...be careful not to give too much away in this thread, you gotta leave em begging for info buddy!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing, but I really wanted to talk about the differences between the two hybrids since I won't be doing that in my actual review. I brought a notepad this time, so I have all kinds of things waiting :)

greaqt initial thoughts Hawk. I'm guessing that's the 4h you've got if its 23*?

Yea, it's the M4. It was a pretty good comparison since my current hybrid is a 24°.

Nice Hawk! I am in the same boat as you since I have a Fybrid 4H. I have been looking for a club to replace it with, can't wait to hear more thoughts.

I need to get it out on the course to confirm, but I really liked it today.

I need to get it out on the course to confirm, but I really liked it today.

chop chop! you're running out of weather my man.

When does the course testing begin?

Love the initial stuff there Hawk! Sure looks like the Mashie is the one to get this season!

Back