Toughest courses on tour in 2010

That makes me feel a little better, lol. I remember that tournemant. I think it was Brendon DeJonge who was wading around in the water in the Bear Trap.

When we played it, we were on the 7th or 8th hole and I said, "This isn't too hard." JB laughed and said wait for the back nine. He was very correct. 16 is a nasty, nasty hole. It doesn't look so bad from the tee, but every one of us took a beating on it. Once we finally got to the green, it was just ridiculous.

yeah, 16 is a beast of a par 4 from the tips. it's a very demanding hole. there's just no good place to put your approach shot if you don't hit the green. i look forward to playing it without that wind though.

yeah, 16 is a beast of a par 4 from the tips. it's a very demanding hole. there's just no good place to put your approach shot if you don't hit the green. i look forward to playing it without that wind though.

here is 15 from the pro tees.
PGAnational021.jpg

and you can look at the water and see exactly how windy it was.

for us, pebble does not play the most difficult IMO. For the pros, when they grow the rough and get wind it is brutal. With normal rough and no wind it is totally different.

Wow, what a list! I do feel a little bit better seeing as PGA finished #2. Here's hoping it plays a bit easier in May!

cannot wait!!!!

for us, pebble does not play the most difficult IMO. For the pros, when they grow the rough and get wind it is brutal. With normal rough and no wind it is totally different.

That is true of every golf course though.

Technically, my home course (and home tee's) play harder than the Champ from the tee's that we played. From the tips that course is a monster but move up to a reasonable distance and the course plays much easier. While the champ was tougher than its slope/rating indicate it wasn't the toughest course I have ever played. The intimidation factor was certainly there though, and you can't discount that!

RE: The bear trap. I was tied with one of my playing partners going into #15 and he ended up beating me by 10 strokes. Yea.

But the talent pool is the best in the world. They had the best guys there, unlike PGA national or Aronimink who didnt have super strong fields.

Understood, but the wind and heavy rough they grow for the pros make the course difficult, not the course itself IMO. Play there on a calm day, which there are many, and it is very different. I have played there many times and it is not a course that I or my playing partners have ever referred to as "very difficult" or certainly not the "most difficult". I was just surprised it was #1, have only played a few of the other top most difficult on this list, so can not compare to this list.

But the talent pool is the best in the world. They had the best guys there, unlike PGA national or Aronimink who didnt have super strong fields.

Understood, but the wind and heavy rough they grow for the pros make the course difficult, not the course itself IMO. Play there on a calm day, which there are many, and it is very different. I have played there many times and it is not a course that I or my playing partners have ever referred to as "very difficult" or certainly not the "most difficult". I was just surprised it was #1, have only played a few of the other top most difficult on this list, so can not compare to this list.

It is important to note that this isnt a list of opinions. This is based purely on the average score at the tournament vs par. It isn't like the people looked and said "I think pebble was the toughest"- the numbers showed it was the toughest and by a wide margin at that.

but it was allowed to be tougher
It is important to note that this isnt a list of opinions. This is based purely on the average score at the tournament vs par. It isn't like the people looked and said "I think pebble was the toughest"- the numbers showed it was the toughest and by a wide margin at that.

you are missing my point, but not an issue. it plays very tough when it is windy and rough is long. the course itself - length, width of fairways, greens, number of out of bounds, bunkers, etc. etc. IMO are not so difficult that one would think it to be the hardest the pros play. That is all, just an observation. Obviously it is set up much different for them and they also tend to play in winter when weather tends to be more challenging. If you have not played, hopefully you will some day. I would bet you would not say based on your score or otherwise that it was the hardest course you played, like the pros have experienced to get the #1 ranking.

you are missing my point, but not an issue. it plays very tough when it is windy and rough is long. the course itself - length, width of fairways, greens, number of out of bounds, bunkers, etc. etc. IMO are not so difficult that one would think it to be the hardest the pros play. That is all, just an observation. Obviously it is set up much different for them and they also tend to play in winter when weather tends to be more challenging. If you have not played, hopefully you will some day. I would bet you would not say based on your score or otherwise that it was the hardest course you played, like the pros have experienced to get the #1 ranking.

I think you missed the point of the list. It was 2010 only and they clearly stated that the course hosting the US Open generally has the highest score average. This isn't an "of all time" list, strictly 2010.

Back