Project X vs Dynamic Gold Iron Shafts

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
I bought a set of R9 irons in May 2010. (This was pre-THP) I was setup with a regular shaft on these and told to come back later for my fitting. After playing them for the past 5 months I realized that I need a stiffer shaft. I even tried a stiff shafted R9 at the driving range today and my dispersion was very minimal. My swing speed has increased since I started playing more since May. I now have a swing speed with my driver at 105. I called to talk to GG about this today and they told me they would replace the shafts. They said they would not charge me for the labor, but just for the shafts. They gave me the option of going with Project X or Dynamic Gold. I am going to go with a fitting with them, but wanted to see what everybody's thoughts were on each type of shaft.

Both are excellent shafts. THey do have a different feel and slightly different ball flight for me. I found the DG's slightly lower launching for me than that of the PX, but enjoy both of them quite a bit.

Ask them to let you hit the "Shaft Optimizer". Its a wonderful invention!

Both are excellent shafts. THey do have a different feel and slightly different ball flight for me. I found the DG's slightly lower launching for me than that of the PX, but enjoy both of them quite a bit.

Which one creates more backspin?

I find that PX spins slightly less than that of DG. But it is pretty close.

Thanks for the advice.

Never played PX, but i have never had problems with my DG, except they are pretty low launching for me, but that may just be me.

both are great shafts, and testing both will ultimately give you the answer but it's hard for me not to go with stepless.

Not to threadjack but whats the difference between DG and DG Tour Issue shafts?

Ask them to let you hit the "Shaft Optimizer". Its a wonderful invention!

+1. Used the swing optimizer system and for me it rated the DG S300 #1, #2 PX 6.0, and the KBS Stiff #3. I think these are accurate too. I like the way the KBS feels at impact, very smooth, but I have a very high launch angle and these were the highest launching of the three. The PX shafts were nice, had a mid launch, but feel bad when you mishit them. DG S300 are the lowest launching, good for me, and felt very nice with little dispersion. So I would go back in and ask them to use the Mizuno Shaft optimizer and use their suggestions as your starting point. I don't know if everyone has had similar experiences, but I found them to be right on in my case, which was unfortunate in the fact that I wanted the KBS to be the best for me, but they are not.

Do all GG have the Shaft optimizer?

i find it interesting that every shaft optimizer results always spit out the same three shafts:

s300
kbs
px

Similar to the Magic 8 ball, but for golf!

Do all GG have the Shaft optimizer?
You can go to mizunomatch.com or somewhere and search nearby locations for the shaft optimizer.

Not to threadjack but whats the difference between DG and DG Tour Issue shafts?

The Tour Issue shafts have a weight tolerance of +/- .5 grams for custom precision fitting.Same shaft,They are just weight sorted with tighter tolerances.

i find it interesting that every shaft optimizer results always spit out the same three shafts:

s300
kbsH
px

I was just about to say that!

Is there any specific models I should try of each brand?

Is there any specific models I should try of each brand?

No. The fitting should dictate what models will work the best. They are all True Temper.

I really wish I would have found this forum pre-buying my clubs. I would have pushed them to do a full fitting before purchasing anything! It really makes you frustrated at lazy workers at golf shops.

I really wish I would have found this forum pre-buying my clubs. I would have pushed them to do a full fitting before purchasing anything! It really makes you frustrated at lazy workers at golf shops.

ROFLMAO,are you serious? You even stated yourself that you have improved your game and swing speed over the last 6 months or so.If that is the case a fitting 6 months ago might not still be good today.

I have a question for you though, Many folks come into my store and asked to be fitted cause they hear it's needed,great. Now, they tell me they haven't swung a club in 10 months,How can someone do a fitting if the person can't have somewhat of a consistant swing?

s300
kbs
px

My optimizer suggested those shafts, but suggested I soft-step my kbs pro stiffs or use a flighted PX. DG was not a recommended shaft for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROFLMAO,are you serious? You even stated yourself that you have improved your game and swing speed over the last 6 months or so.If that is the case a fitting 6 months ago might not still be good today.

I have a question for you though, Many folks come into my store and asked to be fitted cause they hear it's needed,great. Now, they tell me they haven't swung a club in 10 months,How can someone do a fitting if the person can't have somewhat of a consistant swing?

Not sure why its funny, but I can offer a different side of the fitting. Basic fitting can and in my opinion should be done. Sure things change, but why adapt to your clubs that may not fit you from a length and shaft perspective right from the get go?

While a beginner may not benefit from a full fitting, or heck even a half fitting, basic options should still be checked out in my opinion.

If they cared about the customer rather than the sell, they could have recommended playing for a month and then coming back for a fitting. They were all about the sell and wanted to get me out of the door that day. I think that is why they didn't do a fitting that day and told me to wait a couple of months to do it. They still sold me the clubs that day with a shaft I couldn't grow on.

I dont think he was jabbing at you in particular, but I have to agree, at least recommend it and if there swing looks like hell then recommend the standard. To me, your comment compared apples to oranges. You dont know DMB's swing, so for him to say that he wished it was recommended I am surprised to see you get all wound up

Edit: he is a 13 HDCP...a fitting would have been great for him, you know it. Now, it may have come out standard lenght and lie

I found the PX to launch higher and they also felt a lot lighter. I ended up with DG's because they felt better to me and was a tighter dispersion. The PX's were awesome though. They might be my next shafts!

The optimizer suggested the same shafts just in x with a soft step lol. I ended up with S300's. I couldn't hit an x all that well.

Back