The best tip youve ever read, seen or been taught?

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I love watching and reading about how to fix this and how to fix that. How many times have we seen "This tip will fix your slice -forever" and "Hit it 30 yards past your buddies" and the "Sure why to make solid contact every time" etc etc. So what is the best tip you've ever read, seen or been taught? Lets hear some good ones.

I really like the hit to 1st base drill that is here on THP. Really helps with bringing the club down and attacking the ball from the inside to fight the slice. Simple effective and easy to do.

Kevin this is a great thread buddy! The feet together drill that Andy has helped so many of us with is my favorite. it teaches balance and if you don't have a good foundation, your game will suffer.

My favorite is the simple drill of holding a hardcover under the trail arm to keep the elbow down. Greatly helps me keep from coming over the top.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I think tempo and shorten your backswing has helped a lot but for me it's squaring up your left (or right for the LH's) at impact. If I have my tempo down and just focus on that it's awesome. You cant help but make solid contact. Also helps keep you from casting in some instances.

The baseball diamond drill that our THP Pro uses. It changed the game for me. But in fairness, he has so many good ones such as the feet together drill, etc...

I like the baseball drill as well but the one I'll never forget is during the first outing Uncle Daddy, while setting up for a drive off the tee, telling me to align my driver shaft to my left nut. Worked like a charm.

The best drill that helped me was putting a long box or 2x4 about 2 inches away from the ball opposite to you lined up with the hole. This will help you make sure you swing inside or hit the box! It will really help straighten out a swing plane and keep it inside.

Not sure of my favorite tip, but I did get leftys short game dvd and the hinge and hold technique did a lot for my short game this year.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

I'm still working on figuring out the inside-out swing for my driver, but I just saved a tip Andy gave.

Two things that I've found to be very helpful.

Focus ahead of the ball on iron shots to swing through and make contact with the ball before the ground.

Andy's sand video is money.

+1 this has helped with my pitching.

Also, JB gave me some tips to improve my pitching as well by narrowing my stance, playing the ball off the instep of my back foot, weight slightly on my front foot, lean the club forward a bit, and use a putting like motion. instant results.

Recently TC and biggsy gave me some tips as well to help with my accuracy. TC had me narrow my stance for all my shots and to take 3/4 swings at the max and the results were hard to believe. straight and minimal target line dispersion. biggsy had me close the grip on my right hand a bit for a little more control and while it feels awkward (which means it's probably right) the results I've seen are encouraging and I want to see what happens the more I use htis new grip.

oh and 'don't eat the yellow snow' is a great tip I got from my dad

Kevin this is a great thread buddy! The feet together drill that Andy has helped so many of us with is my favorite. it teaches balance and if you don't have a good foundation, your game will suffer.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. That is a GREAT video. So was the chipping technique.

I'm still working on figuring out the inside-out swing for my driver, but I just saved a tip Andy gave.

Two things that I've found to be very helpful.

Focus ahead of the ball on iron shots to swing through and make contact with the ball before the ground.

I know Ive seen this one but I need to check it again.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. That is a GREAT video. So was the chipping technique.

As long as I actually do what he says, I am out of the sand with good results. If I second guess myself I end up taking two tries.

Mine was definitely the help OneT gave me last weekend with my putting stroke. I've never gotten any assistance with my swing before so I ended up training myself to mimic a pendulum. It was a bit rough because I'd try to swing with both arms and my backswing would get wavy then I'd try to bring it back to center on the follow through. Most of the time it led me to come in steep and a bit awkward.

Here's what I understood from his tip:
Lock the right hand to the putter and then just place the left hand on it (the right hand/arm swings the club and the left side only aids in directional control). Draw the putter back and keep it low to the ground, then pull the trigger and follow through.

I know it sounds so simple (and most of you probably do something similar) but this really helped my consistency. Now if only I could get my speed right since I end up with a little too much oomph on the ball over half of the time. I guess that's where practice comes in.

Dude it was awesome, like a light went on for you. Sweet watching you drain some more putts.

Mine was definitely the help OneT gave me last weekend with my putting stroke. I've never gotten any assistance with my swing before so I ended up training myself to mimic a pendulum. It was a bit rough because I'd try to swing with both arms and my backswing would get wavy then I'd try to bring it back to center on the follow through. Most of the time it led me to come in steep and a bit awkward.

Lock the right hand to the putter and then just place the left hand on it (the right hand/arm swings the club and the left side only aids in directional control). Draw the putter back and keep it low to the ground, then pull the trigger and follow through.

I know it sounds so simple (and most of you probably do something similar) but this really helped my consistency. Now if only I could get my speed right since I end up with a little too much oomph on the ball over half of the time. I guess that's where practice comes in.

Great stuff and this thread will be put in my favorites thread folder...

Another one that helped me find the sweetspot with the driver more often.

Address the ball out on the toe if you ground the driver.

Another one that helped me find the sweetspot with the driver more often.

Address the ball out on the toe if you ground the driver.

This is an interesting one to me and one that I havent tried. Adding to my mental list for the next range session.

99.25% of short putts are never made! (My step father was always such a comedian, but it was his way to teach me and joke at the same time. I have to admit, I'll never forget his lessons.)

don't bet money with JB on the golf course! and yes, i'm still waiting for someone to give me that tip, haha

When I had my lessons last year and we finally got to putting, the pro told me I stabbed at the ball. Id take it back slow and then stab at the ball with a quick motion back through the ball. This made it very difficult to get speed and distance right. I still struggle with doing this now but when I do get to practice I work on it. He taught that you need to take the putter back and then forth through the ball at the same tempo. And to get more or less distance you just adjust the length of the back swing and always follow through the same amount. Takes practice but it works.

Don't bet with JB...especially if you're TC

Remember it dude

Like JB said, there are so many! But if we're talking about the most impact, switching to a pre-shot routine that includes picking a point on the ground 1-6 feet in front of my ball and using that for my alignment changed everything. Standing behind the ball I close one eye (using both eyes still leaves some room for error) and hold the shaft up so it 'hides' the ball and the target and then look for something it crosses that I can use.

When I first started doing this I would get over the ball and have to go back and look again because I couldn't believe that the correct line was where it was. Try this and you too may be shocked by the results!

My favorite are the shot alignment videos from Dean Reinmuth on TGC.

Andy has given so many great tips here it is hard to pick just one! I know he helped me a lot when I was double-crossing everything and reminded me to check my ball position at address.

The best tip I've ever received was from my father in law. I was getting frustrated by a typicalally high score. He looked at me and said, "Why are you getting mad? You're not good enough to get mad." He wasn't calling me a bad golfer, he was saying that I should not take it so seriously. Since that, I've gotten over bad shots quicker. I've also had more fun. And consequently, shot lower scores.

Back