Sore Neck & upper back

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I have had a sore neck for the last week! Not sure if it's muscle related or what? I know I will probaly get the, "you are getting old ole gray jokes" but seriously, any suggestions other than rest on a sore neck. It feels like a crick in the neck. KellyBo set me up with an appointment with a massage parlor :D tomorrow. Legit kind guys so no funny jokes. One of my golfing buddies said he had a upperback/neck issue and got a 60 minute massage and it cured his problem hands down! I though about going to a chiropractor but I am hoping the massage will do the trick. How would you suggest taking the kinks out of a sore neck?

I use Ben-Gay type stuff for any soreness and it works great for me, I have never had to do more... Although you probably have already tried that if its been a week

Did this start around your bday? It could be a pretty serious condition called oldmanitus. In all seriousness, get it checked out. I want you healthy at WPB.

As for stiffness or aches, I use patches called Solan-Pas. They work very good for me.

sorry to hear that gray. nothing worse than sore neck area. you may have slept funny or something. got a crick in the neck. i would recommend using some bio freeze. the stuff works great.

or

stop doing this all the time (i'm surprised more of you isn't sore from all of this type of activity)

Spoiler
:blob::blob::blob::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::rockon::rockon::rofl::rofl::rofl::stickbeat::stickbeat::stickbeat::starwars::starwars::starwars::zsimpsons::zsimpsons::zsimpsons::zsimpsons::zsimpsons::zdance:

hahaha, sorry gray. you ever thought that maybe you gave yourself whiplash driving that golf cart in blairsville the way you were, hahaha.

sorry, couldn't resist.

I've had some issues at times and I made a visit to the chiropractor. The one I go to gives the electrode treatment and a massage to go along witht the regular popping process. I also got some Biofreeze from them which is awesome! It is like IcyHot without the hot and way better.

Did this start around your bday? It could be a pretty serious condition called oldmanitus. In all seriousness, get it checked out. I want you healthy at WPB.

As for stiffness or aches, I use patches called Solan-Pas. They work very good for me.
+1 on the Solan-Pas things. They work very well!

He really opened himself up for the abuse this time. Seriously, the last time I remember his neck hurting like this he bought us both a Tempurpedic pillow. They really helped. Maybe it's time for new ones. I second the suggestion for BioFreeze. Pick some up at the chiropractor tomorrow Gray! Anyone have a recommendation for a good pillow other than Tempurpedic. They are close to $100 each.

The missus bought me a loyalty card to a local day spa 2 weeks ago for my birthday.
It includes 5 one hour massages. I've used one of them and I just scheduled my next one for Friday.
Nothing loosens up my back, neck and shoulders like a good firm massage.

For a quick neck loosening, I lay on my back on the bed sideways with my head hanging over the side.
Take a couple of slow deep breaths and relax your neck to hang as far down as you can for 20 seconds.
That has always worked for me.

I'll third the Bio-Freeze. It's hard as heck to find down here (which is surprising considering this is God's waiting room), so I buy several when I find it.

Activate Ole Grey Voice:

A lil dab ul do yah

Deactivate Ole Grey Voice.

I will be fit as a fiddle :violin:JB... I might try that solan- pas if I can find it. hehe the "oldmanitus' stuff hit's me every morning when I get out of bed. Takes about 5 minutes for all the bones to quit popping :D..

Per TC] sorry to hear that gray. nothing worse than sore neck area. you may have slept funny or something. got a crick in the neck. i would recommend using some bio freeze. the stuff works great.

I've had some issues at times and I made a visit to the chiropractor. The one I go to gives the electrode treatment and a massage to go along witht the regular popping process. I also got some Biofreeze from them which is awesome! It is like IcyHot without the hot and way better.

I have heard some really good things about the Biofreeze stuff. Maybe I can pick me up a six pack of that at the massage parlor tomorrow!

TC -- It could have been from that nasty cart almost chunking me out on the side of that Ga mountain. I suppose that could put a little pressure on the neck bone :O)

Hey don't under estimate what real massage can do, also look into accupuncture. Get ahold of your local hospital and see if they have an Integrative Medicine Dept. Trust me OG with what I have been dealing with over the past year and a half both of the above have made my life a bit easier. Where they may not have cured the cancer they have made many of the side effects tolerable. I wish I had known about Integrative Medicine during my playing days but more then likely way back then there wasn't anything like it. I know of course accupuncture has been around for centuries but I think we all thought of it as voodoo in the 70's.

Hey don't under estimate what real massage can do, also look into accupuncture. Get ahold of your local hospital and see if they have an Integrative Medicine Dept. Trust me OG with what I have been dealing with over the past year and a half both of the above have made my life a bit easier. Where they may not have cured the cancer they have made many of the side effects tolerable. I wish I had known about Integrative Medicine during my playing days but more then likely way back then there wasn't anything like it. I know of course accupuncture has been around for centuries but I think we all thought of it as voodoo in the 70's.

Thanks Lefte! I hope the massage will do the trick. It is an hour long so maybe the kink can be worked out. I have not had a stiff neck for a long time and KellyBo is right. I bought us both a nice pillow designed for optimum neck support and it worked great for a long time. It could be a new one is in order however I will keep the accupuncture as a possible treatment as well. TC was telling me about the accupuncture for my knee problems which have since been fixed.

P.S. Good to hear from you again Lefte and I hope all is going well for ya.

Last edited:
I have heard some really good things about the Biofreeze stuff. Maybe I can pick me up a six pack of that at the massage parlor tomorrow!

FYI there are a couple of options of this stuff. There is the regular gel that you hand apply and a spray version that you don't rub. If you get the spray DON'T rub it in because it is 3 times stronger than the gel!

FYI there are a couple of options of this stuff. There is the regular gel that you hand apply and a spray version that you don't rub. If you get the spray DON'T rub it in because it is 3 times stronger than the gel!

Thanks Dirt for the advice. I bought me a box of heat wraps for my neck and have one left that should provide some comfort until tomorrow. I can also get into my pain med that was written for my post op knee surgery.

hmmmmm someone said something about hanging your head over the side of the bed for a few seconds. I am going to try that too.

I hope you feel better. The BF was in a car accident last June and his back has never been the same since...

I hope you feel better. The BF was in a car accident last June and his back has never been the same since...

Thanks GC. I should be fine and the massage should really loosen up my stiff neck. I would certainly feel sorry for someone who has a chronic neck issue! I sincerely hope the BF finds a cure for his discomfort.

Good luck there ol buddy. I get more than my share of aches and pains, right now I'm fighting one in my left shoulder/upper arm. I generally use a hot/cold treatment, or damp heat and tylenol. Hope your back up and running again soon.

Good luck there ol buddy. I get more than my share of aches and pains, right now I'm fighting one in my left shoulder/upper arm. I generally use a hot/cold treatment, or damp heat and tylenol. Hope your back up and running again soon.

Thanks Due. I can't wait for the good old hard massage tomorrow. I hopes she whups the old buddy into a pulp and then I will feel limp as a noodle. They say you are suppose to drink a bottle or two of water after a massage?

Pain in the neck eh? They say what goes around.... hehe

I'm just kidding Gray! Sorry you're not feeling 100%. Neck pain does seriously suck, thankfully I've been lucky enough so far not to have too much of it. Usaully just a good nights sleep does wonders for me. But that's usually a pipedream. My kingdon for 8 hour uninterupted sleep. Usaually my neck pains start from a bad sleep so a good sleep usually gets rid of it. Don't really have any other suggestions other than that. Hope you're doing better soon!!

KellyBo set me up with an appointment with a massage parlor :D tomorrow. Legit kind guys so no funny jokes.

Dude, it is very difficult not to make "funny jokes" when you call it a "massage parlor"!

Nonetheless, hope the neck gets better. Check your posture when you are sitting; make sure the shoulder blades haven't started slouching forward in recent days/weeks. While this may be more preventative than anything else, neck pain can be caused by your posture.

Dude, it is very difficult not to make "funny jokes" when you call it a "massage parlor"!

Nonetheless, hope the neck gets better. Check your posture when you are sitting; make sure the shoulder blades haven't started slouching forward in recent days/weeks. While this may be more preventative than anything else, neck pain can be caused by your posture.

Thanks Loop :thumb: I have not been to a massage person since Vietnam and they called them massage parlors over there :D..... Well I take that back. kellyBo and I both had a nice massage down in Cancun Mexico when we were on our honeymoon. Hecked they even dipped my toes in a bucket of water and filed down my toes.

I agree with you jefffann! Everytime I try to sit there like that my neck hurts way too bad. He's been doing it for quite a while now though. Don't know why it's just hurting him now.

Back