TaylorMade Blind Ball Testing Results

welcome to TC's golf bag Burner Tour!

this was a fun process and i absolutely love the price point!!!

A note from TaylorMade:

Wow I heard some truely great things about this ball and at that price I might have to check them out. This has been a really cool thread and had some great post.

Price point seems great. Based on reviews, this is a ball I will consider for next year.

Well done TM and THP! As good as the Burner was for me to hit with, I can't imagine how good the Tour is. and the price point? Solid slotting!

Sooooo....will it be offered in yellow? hehe

That price for that ball is great. Just great. This will probably be my ball now.

Thanks THP & TM, this was a fun experience!

From what I read from different people's post, I think this is a dream come true. How many people said this was the softest, most durable ball they have hit. There sure were a lot. And there were a lot of people expecting this to be a $30+ ball. At $22 I will definitely be giving this ball a go. Thanks for all of the info from the reviewers, as a reader I really found this experiment to be very eye opening and very cool!

I game the TM TP's right now, I get the 2 dozen for $40 deal, looksl ike I will be making a move as well.

welcome to TC's golf bag Burner Tour!

this was a fun process and i absolutely love the price point!!!

Might want to update your signature.... :D

This was my hunch and I think that the test worked really well! Obviously, this ball isn't for everybody, but that is the case with every ball. I will definitely try these out as the pricepoint and some characteristics are what I look for in a golf ball.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Wow! Absolutely cannot complain about that price point!

at this price point, these balls (the Burner as well) should be on everyones list when doing a ball fitting

I did not see that coming. I was just about to buy a box of Burner Tours to test out and turns out I have been testing them out all along.

JB, If you can. Can you ask TM why the ball feels so soft coming off the putter? It is by far the softest feeling ball I have ever felt off the putter. I was just kind of curious how they did that, with it only being a 2 piece ball.

I did not see that coming. I was just about to buy a box of Burner Tours to test out and turns out I have been testing them out all along.

JB, If you can. Can you ask TM why the ball feels so soft coming off the putter? It is by far the softest feeling ball I have ever felt off the putter. I was just kind of curious how they did that, with it only being a 2 piece ball.

There you go. You answered your own question. You are believing marketing in the past that softness is related to spin and a softer cover. When in fact it is not. There are many factors that play a role in softness such as core, etc...

I remember reading several reviews that put the mystery ball against the Burner Tours... how do those people feel about the announcement?

Not to pick on anyone but Spanks comes to mind from one of his earlier reviews.

I remember reading several reviews that put the mystery ball against the Burner Tours... how do those people feel about the announcement?

Not to pick on anyone but Spanks comes to mind from one of his earlier reviews.

Very good point. I look forward to seeing some reactions in this thread over the course of the day.

There you go. You answered your own question. You are believing marketing in the past that softness is related to spin and a softer cover. When in fact it is not. There are many factors that play a role in softness such as core, etc...

Ya your right, I always have assumed that a 2 piece ball isnt soft or doesnt spin. Guess I never realized just how much marketing does effect in making me believe what the ball does before I have even hit it.

This whole process could be something that took place in a college classroom. An absolutely fascinating marketing experiment and a truly surprising announcement by Taylormade about what ball it actually was.

I will definitely give these a go, especially at that price point. Thanks again for giving THP the opportunity to take part in this.

Well, look at that! I have to say, I may end up getting at least one box to see what all the putting fuss is about.... and if distance off the tee and irons holds up for me, well, who knows what will end up in my bag.

How interesting - it's not an un-released ball, it's one that was recently released! What's funny is that I almost bought a box when they came out. I guess I'm glad I didn't! I do really like this ball, and talk about bang for your buck! Next up - make it in yellow! winkwinknudgenudge I will definitely keep using this ball, I'm a fan for sure. I will, however, keep one blank sleeve as a memento. How cool is it to have unmarked golf balls?!

biggsy's thoughts (on-course testing)

Let me just start out by saying thank you once again to Taylormade and THP for selecting me to be a part of this unique testing experience.

I used these balls for 6 rounds and numerous short game and range sessions in coming up with my conclusions. These tests were separate from the simulator testing I did, which is linked at the bottom of the post.

Driving:
Pros: Distance was in between the two balls I play. Not quite as long as the premium but longer than the mid-priced ball. Given I was fit for the premium ball and this ball only about 5 yards short of it on average, I can't be disappointed with the results.

I had no control issues with this ball and felt like even when I cut it (my miss), The ball did not balloon or have insane amounts of side spin, which I have experienced with other balls.

It appears as if I had more backspin with this ball, which was verified in sim testing, and I did not have any fairway roll out issues.

Cons: Given how soft the ball feels, I felt like I compressed the ball too much and just did not get a good feel for it off of the clubface.

Hybrids:
Pros: I had better control using this ball with a hybrid than the balls I normally play.

Cons: Using a hybrid I experienced the most amount of distance discrepancy, losing about 15-20 yards on average using the hybrid.

Long-Mid Irons:
Pros: The soft feel was a plus using the long to mid-irons. When swinging the way I should, control was not an issue and I actually got a fair amount of spin on the green.

Cons: I lost about a club worth of distance with irons in this range of clubs.

Being that I didn't have a gauge for the distance and knowing that this ball was consistently shorter, I found myself over-swinging to compensate.

Short Irons:
Pros: Feel, softness, distance and spin was very similar to other balls I play.

I really started to see the durability using this ball with this iron range. Given the soft feeling of this ball, you would expect the cover to get shredded, which I am used to, but these stand up.

Cons: None

Wedges:
Pros: See above. Bonus again for durability.

Cons: None

Chipping/Pitching/Flopadopolous:
Pros: Soft feeling.

Cons: This is where the ball falls short for me. I get more roll-out on this ball than I would want from even a mid-priced ball. I can usually expect some amount of spin or check when I request it from a ball, not from these. Flop shots roll out, pitches don't check and nothing I could do would change that.

Putting:
Pros: The best putting ball I have ever played with. I love the way this ball feels off the putter. Ball gets into a beautiful end over end roll with superb distance control and feel. I would buy this ball just to putt with it.

Cons: Zip, zero, nada.

Conclusion: The one resounding thing I found while testing this ball is it is softer than any other ball I've felt with current golf balls. Not quite as soft as the old balata balls, but very similar in softness. I obviously compress this ball too much to play with it, given I lose at least a club in distance from 9i - 3 hybrid.

This really is a treat to putt with and feels superb off of every club, sans driver. The durability is also one of the best I have seen, it just holds up to use and abuse, and that's a really great selling point to me.

I'm guessing this is a mid-priced ball designed for the masses (slower swing speeds) and will be billed as a soft & durable ball. I'll be interested to see how close I am. I don't think I can give an accurate assessment of what the inside is made out of without cutting it open. Given the reaction around the green, I can't see this being a premium ball of any sort.

I felt the blind test was an excellent way to gauge real testing without knowing anything about the ball. It really tests your feel and ability to give feedback and I think TM hit a homerun with this test.

Here is link to the simulator testing that was done on the Taylormade Blank:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...lind-Ball-Testing-Results&p=420521#post420521

Great price point for these.....will have to try them in the near future!!

TGW currently has them for sale for those of you interested in stocking up.

TaylorMade Burner Tour Golf Balls feature:
2 piece ionomer construction
342 dimple configuration of LDP (Low Drag Performance) Dimple Technology creates improved lift for more distance
REACT core promotes exceptionally fast ball speed
The core's compression measures a super soft 57
Soft, resilient and durable Iothane 58D cover
Promotes softer feel with more control and increased spin

Back