KellyBo & Gray -- Diary of taking Lessons

Just wanted to say that while I was lurking, this thread more then anything else was what kept me out practicing and trying to get better after figuring out just how hard this game can be sometimes. Bravo to the both of you :clapp:

Thanks Tuna! KellyBo has seriously been working very hard on her game and i am soooooo proud of her. She is one determined woman. I have been on the bench recovering from knee surgery but I feel like my legs are finally back better than in many years. I will be back out there work hard soon myself if the weather permits of course.

Tuna you can do it friend. Once you make your mind up and get some instructions you are on your way. KellyBo has a great golf coach here in Georgia she goes to two or three times per month. We have a great instructor here at THP. Andy will do everything in his power to help you get on track with your swin, goals, etc. You can even post a video for him to analize. Good luck with your goals and hopefully we can meet you one day at a THP outing!

KB!!!! Awesome!!!!!!! Hard work and it more thsn paid off. Extremely happy for you.

Gray Im so glad you are starting to feel better. I cant wait to hear you get back on track man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the nice words Tuna and Yoccos! Sometimes I feel stupid for putting all this stuff on this thread but then I think it just might be helping one person so why not.

I've been practicing putting this week. Here are my stats for the last two days. It's interesting and shows my weakness is definitely on long putts. I'm supposed to be practicing 60 foot putts too but my practice green is not that big.

Putts, Distance, # Shots, Goal, Day 1, Day 2
3 ft, 15, Ball Goes in Hole, 93%, 93%
4 ft, 15, Ball Goes in Hole, 87%, 100%
5 ft, 15, Ball Goes in Hole, 47%, 93%
6 ft, 15, Ball Goes in Hole, 87%, 73%
9 ft, 15, Ball Goes in Hole, 40%, 67%
20 ft, 15, Ball Stops w/n 2 feet, 80%, 60%
40 ft, 15, Ball Stops w/n putter length, 13%, 7%

I had never even thought to track putts that way. Its definitely something I should do!

Your determination is an inspiration actually. Keep on postin!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job KB, I like how you are tracking this. Great job, you and Gray keep finding ways to take it to the next level and it comes from determination.

Ole Gray: Good luck with the knees mate. Having gone through total reconstruction on both of them and my ankles, I know just how much the surgery and the recovery takes.

Bugging Andy will be next on my list heh.

Kelly, I just saw that you made it under 13.0 and I'm sooo happy for you! Great job :) your thread really shows what hard work can accomplish. Keep it up!

Lesson #12

SW - 40-50 yards out

Problems identified:
Swaying on back swing
Solution: keep hips still

Opening club face on back swing
Solution: Don't roll club open when going back

Flipping wrists on impact
Solution: Continue through to target with firm wrists

Physically pushing arms when swinging
Solution: Let arms come through with shoulder turn instead of rushing and "hitting at ball". The shoulders will add the distance, strike the ball the same as a shorter pitch but add the turn for the distance. No need to hit harder! Soft hands with the right turn will fly the ball so nicely.

Driver: Solidly striking ball but it's going right (not really a slice but more of a push).

Problems identified:

Ball position was too far back
Solution: Moved ball forward a good bit - felt way too forward to me but he said it was just in line with my left shoulder.

I was hitting the back of ball instead of the inside of ball
Solution: Position ball where target (logo or label of ball) is on inside of ball about 45° of target line and hit that mark when hitting the ball

I asked if I should flare my left foot out or leave it straight in front of me. He suggested I leave it straight as it may help me with my tendency to want to turn too quickly.

4 Hybrid:

By the time I pulled it out, I was able to hit it pretty well. Hit this club just like any other iron shot. Proper shoulder turn, timing, not trying to hit it hard and off it goes!

It's amazing how well I can hit balls with just a little coaching. Got my notepad out today and wrote down everything he told me I did wrong. Old habits are hard to break but at least I know my tendencies and can work on them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Kelly. That guy really knows how to get you in line quickly, it seems.

Forgot to add that I talked to my coach about buying the new Cleveland woods and hybrids when they come out. I might even buy their new driver but I'm not sure about that yet. I'm lucky because I can get an employee discount. Cleveland just happens to be the only clubs we buy and sell at our course.

He really wants to analyze my swing on the monitor before I make my purchase. He said he was testing a guy out the other day and increased the loft of his driver by several degrees and added 30 yards to his drive. I will definitely get fitted to the right loft and flex before going forward with the purchase.

You'll be down to single digits in no time. :)

When I practice putting I focus on long putts and three footers.

My teacher had a heart to heart with me this week about several things. I'll keep it brief.

1. I'm gonna mess up!!!!!! I have to quit saying things like "I stink at golf", "I have it one day and then it's gone", etc.
2. I have to understand this is a process and it takes a lot of work and a lot of time to be good at golf.
3. I have to find my weaknesses and work on them one at a time. For example, he had a problem breaking his wrists. He didn't hit a ball over 50 yards for two months until he fixed it. He said he practiced every day for two months until he was confident he had corrected the problem. He still hits that short shot alot when he's on the range.

So we agreed I would play 20 rounds and chart every shot on the sheets he gave me. Then he will sit down and look at them and determine a course
of action. I have already played 2 rounds of golf and charted my shots. I made a scorecard/cheatsheet to use as I play which makes it pretty easy to do. I then just plug the info into an Excel spreadsheet. Most people wouldn't have time for this but I have nothing but time! I am committed to doing what he has asked and am already seeing my weaknesses shine through.

I have also committed to more practice time on the range, putting green, and chipping green. I have been hitting two buckets of balls every day this week just using my SW practicing good contact and no flipping of my wrists. I am already noticing improvement in how I strike my irons.

I do feel that keeping these stats is making me play smarter and better because I know he's going to be analyzing it all!

Golf is my project for now! I always have to have one!!!!!!

My HI is a 13.4, but I am not advancing nearly as quickly as you KB. I think you are gifted. :)

My pro tells me that I have the putting stroke of a tour pro (he even showed the video to the other pros and they all just kind of stared at me), and the short game of a scratch golfer. BUT, I really struggle with the full swing...I just don't get it. You seem to be mastering the entire game. I salute you!

Keep up the great work. :alien2:

Except the tour putting stroke that sounds rather familair Sean. I kill people from 125 yards an in, I just have a wicked time getting to that point. Hoping the Golf Tec guys can sort that out

Don't salute too fast Sean! My game has really taken a turn for the worse lately. My last 3 rounds have been 96, 100, and 98. I don't know what's going on but I'm taking a little break to let my body and brain rest. I'm hoping it will come back to me soon. :)

My HI is a 13.4, but I am not advancing nearly as quickly as you KB. I think you are gifted. :)

My pro tells me that I have the putting stroke of a tour pro (he even showed the video to the other pros and they all just kind of stared at me), and the short game of a scratch golfer. BUT, I really struggle with the full swing...I just don't get it. You seem to be mastering the entire game. I salute you!

Keep up the great work. :alien2:

Except the tour putting stroke that sounds rather familair Sean. I kill people from 125 yards an in, I just have a wicked time getting to that point. Hoping the Golf Tec guys can sort that out
Good luck Super Tuna! Frustrating, isn't it?

Don't salute too fast Sean! My game has really taken a turn for the worse lately. My last 3 rounds have been 96, 100, and 98. I don't know what's going on but I'm taking a little break to let my body and brain rest. I'm hoping it will come back to me soon. :)
Isn't this just the goofiest game KB? I feel your pain. You can string together some really good rounds, feel like your getting it together then WHAM! I think we all have to be a little bit insane to play this game. :)

You WILL get it back!

Lesson #13

I had this lesson about a week ago after shooting a cool 100 and calling my instructor pleading for his help. I guess I was just too frustrated to write in my diary but I'm feeling better now so here goes. :D

Background of past few weeks: I have recently started playing a lot of golf with strong women players that I have met at various tournaments. I am playing harder courses too. The first time I played with Lori who is a 10 handicap, I shot 84 and she shot 88 at a very tough course. I felt confident and was ready to play with her again. She invited me to play with a group at her course and I played horrible. The first ball off the tee was an awful slice to the road. I never slice anymore! That round started a downward spiral for me and I don't know what's going on. No matter whether I am playing at home or somewhere else, I have zero confidence right now. My scores are just as bad at home as they are anywhere.

I am staying positive as I know as well as most that sometimes the game just leaves you but it usually comes back. I know I have been obsessive with this learning process and I need to lighten up. I've really focused on just having a good time and not playing quite so much. I bought a pull cart and plan to start walking at home.

Back to my lesson:

Started hitting some balls with my 7 iron and driver so coach could see what was going on. Sometimes I can hit my driver and woods really good but I cannot hit my irons to save my life. Then the next time it's just the opposite. I can't figure it out!

Coach went to his office and came back with a metronome (his was a Korg metronome and you can get it on Ebay for a little less than $20). He told me he wanted me to swing to the beats (2). Up on first beat and down on the second. He said my timing was not good so he was seeing if this helped. I started hitting the ball really good once i got the hang of it. He said I really need to work on tempo. He also took me to the putting green and showed me how he used the metronome for putting. It was interesting.

I really think I have three major flaws going on right now. One is thinking way too much, one is swaying, and the other is tempo.

Coach says we make this game much harder than it has to be. He's so right!

p.s. White Rhino sent me a Tour Tempo that has a little metronome included. I practiced in the backyard a little with it today but need to get on the range. I hope it helps! Thanks again my friend!

Lesson #14
Asked coach to work with me on my driver today. I wanted him to fit me to the correct loft and flex. He put me on the launch monitor and let me swing many different drivers. At first I wasn't turning my shoulders properly at all. This is a common fault of mine (as you know if you have read my diary). He took a picture of me not turning properly (right) and then stood behind me and showed me the proper turn (left).

My numbers improved a lot once I started turning properly. I really figured I would end up in a higher lofted driver but I actually might end up in a lower loft. He thinks I will end up with a 9.5* with a lightweight regular flex 45" shaft. He recommended I continue working on my turn and come to demo day in March when there will be several brands there. He thinks the new Cleveland driver with the lightweight shaft will be a good one for me to try. That's the one I am most interested in anyway! For now, my R9 came out the best of any I tried today so I'm sticking with it. Just got to TURN!

I think my biggest problem with turning is trying so hard not to sway that I am not turning my hips with my shoulder. I'll get it one day!

The good news is I was hitting my 30-40 yard pitch shots extremely well. He was impressed after watching me warm up with a bucket of balls to that distance. I told him I played nine holes one day this week and hit two shots from that distance within 1-2 feet from the pin.

Winter is here - not playing as much. Told him I am not keeping score most times out and don't plan to keep stats. Will just work on proper swings and ball striking for now.

I am proud of KellyBo as she is one determined Lady! Keep up the hard work girlie and those results will come. :thumb:

I am proud of KellyBo as she is one determined Lady! Keep up the hard work girlie and those results will come. :thumb:

I am proud of her too gray! she is working so hard and I know she will get where she is going! KEEP IT UP KB!

Thanks Clay. You know it's kind of embarrassing that I keep reverting back to my old "all arms" swing. I guess 20+ years of bad habits don't go away overnight. I will figure this out one day!

I am proud of her too gray! she is working so hard and I know she will get where she is going! KEEP IT UP KB!

I think you also need to let te change happen a bit Kelly. It will come in time. We both know we are similar and we want it all to happen at once and we also both know golf is not like that :)angry) You will get to where you want to be, just be patient and it'll happen.

Thanks Clay. You know it's kind of embarrassing that I keep reverting back to my old "all arms" swing. I guess 20+ years of bad habits don't go away overnight. I will figure this out one day!
It's so easy to revert back to old habits, and sometimes they just creep back up on you...at least it does for me. I really have to focus and say to myself...duh. Keep up the good work KB!

Back