Low handicap vs. High Handicap

I play better when I play with low handicap players. My regular men's club group has a +1, 0 and 2 hc, so at 4.4 I'm the duffer. It elevates my game.

That being said, the thing that kills my scores the most is SLOW PLAY. I need a good flow to play well.

I totally agree. I like ready golf and there is no reason on a recreational round that everyone cannot play that way to keep things moving.

tee it high

I'm a mid handicapper, I guess. I play better with low handicappers, and I think it forces me to think and focus on my game more, as well as pace of play is about where I'm comfortable. I certainly dont mind playing with high handicappers (my wife is one), I just tend to relax more, take my time, and have more fun. Plus, I'll try new shots or experiment with my swing, things that I normally wouldnt try...

Now that I think about it, I score better with low cappers, but I truely do enjoy the game more with high cappers.

I always liked playing with golfers better than me, but playing with higher handicappers is fine - the key to keeping it enjoyable for all is to be ready when it is one's turn to play and to be observant of one's golf etiquette. I want everyone to have a nice round, and to not feel intimidated.

This is spot on for me. Regardless of handicap, if the player is playing at a decent pace, then the round is fine. If anything, I feel uncomfortable if a high handicapper I'm playing with feels they have to hurry shots just to keep up.

I wish everyone had your thoughts. When I played with everyone at the outing, I knew there were some low cappers in each group. They were so cool and made the rounds fun I never once felt rushed. Made for sucha great experience and really pushed me to improve my game.

Just kind of funny to me sometimes because I think some people forget they weren't so good at first either. Keeping pace is definitely a good thing to do and it's something I always try to do. I've got to the point where I play my game when I'm with others. I don't rush or slow down for people in my group, but I never hurry or push anyone. Pace of play only gets me when I let it. When someone takes 3 balls on a busy course and holds things up, that will bother me. But the guy who just keeps duffing wont. I love how we are taught patience is the key to learning this game, but not the key to enjoying it on the course.

Love your perspective Sam and hope to catch a round with ya one of these days!

From the low handicappers perspective, I have seen it go both ways - some higher cappers play better, some play worse. I always try to make them comfortable, but some want to match me off the tee, some are able to play within themselves, which is ALWAYS the key to good golf whatever one's level.

I always liked playing with golfers better than me, but playing with higher handicappers is fine - the key to keeping it enjoyable for all is to be ready when it is one's turn to play and to be observant of one's golf etiquette. I want everyone to have a nice round, and to not feel intimidated. And I can never remember a single instance of being in a 'mixed' group and having a low capper make fun of the higher capper. Remember that EVERY low handicapper was at one time a beginner, and no one becomes an expert immediately.

That is cool Paulo. I know some of the better golfers I've played with have always helped me relax when my game started to go. It helps the person beyond that round more often than not. Having a good experience on the course with someone usually helps keep the want to play attitude.
This is spot on for me. Regardless of handicap, if the player is playing at a decent pace, then the round is fine. If anything, I feel uncomfortable if a high handicapper I'm playing with feels they have to hurry shots just to keep up.

That is cool Paulo. I know some of the better golfers I've played with have always helped me relax when my game started to go. It helps the person beyond that round more often than not. Having a good experience on the course with someone usually helps keep the want to play attitude.

I always remember when I was just got my handicap and I was struggling to score round a course. I've been fortunate enough to play with some very good players, and after the initial worry that I was holding them up, I instead learned a lot from watching how they play the game. Sometimes, seeing a good player duff a shot can be the best thing for your confidence on the course!

It really does haha. Just knowing others aren't perfect really takes some pressure off. By playing with the real good players I've also learned not every iron or driver shot is perfect but usually the short game is fantastic!
I always remember when I was just got my handicap and I was struggling to score round a course. I've been fortunate enough to play with some very good players, and after the initial worry that I was holding them up, I instead learned a lot from watching how they play the game. Sometimes, seeing a good player duff a shot can be the best thing for your confidence on the course!

I love how we are taught patience is the key to learning this game, but not the key to enjoying it on the course.

I think this bears repeating. There is great wisdom in that statement, at least the way I read it. I assume you mean we all need to learn to have a little more patience on the course.

Basically haha. I mean I dont want to sound like I think everyone is impatient. But just that it might be something to consider when you see someone struggling and all you can think is, "Cant this hack hit a shot!"...
I think this bears repeating. There is great wisdom in that statement, at least the way I read it. I assume you mean we all need to learn to have a little more patience on the course.

Dont ask your playing partner what his handicap is. (if your playing with someone new)

It doesnt bother me if I know someone is a lot better than me, what bothers me is if im playing with someone new. It takes me a few holes to relax, just always a different feeling playing with someone new the first time, especially if shank the first one lol

I know what you mean about playing with new people, (meaning new to you not the game) I never know if they will be offended by ready golf mind if I putt up/out after they just chipped on and are walking to their cart to get their putter etc...

You can usually feel them out in a few holes...

As far as if they are better or worst than me i don't care if they are scratch or a 36 as long as they aren't slow... That is all most people care about, when I 1st started play i was a little self conscious about slowing others down and ruining their game. But once i made sure to keep up and pick up after reaching double par etc... i was fine..

Completely agree. I am too often the hack of which you speak, but I also play with some folks that are actually worse golfers than I am. Hard to believe, but true.

Me too! Haha. Spank, G4L and Bulldog can tell ya about my tree hunting experience at WPB. But JB, Hawk and TC got to see I could get the ball up at times. Golf is such a hard sport I know the round I play with someone could be the round of their life or round to forget. I always try to keep that in mind.
Completely agree. I am too often the hack of which you speak, but I also play with some folks that are actually worse golfers than I am. Hard to believe, but true.

Back