Niblick Unboxing & Thread

for those who use a niblik, do you find that they hit the ball a similar distance to the iron they are meant to replace? i would assume they would go a shorter distance.

I find the 42 niblick goes just about as far as my 9iron (41*) as it was designed to.

I find the 42 niblick goes just about as far as my 9iron (41*) as it was designed to.

You do? I find it shorter and more like a PW. The shorter shaft and slightly weaker loft gives me less distance.

i wonder if cleveland is planning on releasing new models with the conforming grooves next year

i wonder if cleveland is planning on releasing new models with the conforming grooves next year

Mentioned I believe on the last page. Yes they are.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I notice that the Niblicks are available in steel or graphite. I ordered one and it came today in graphite. I am pretty sure the other one I have is steel. Any pros and cons to either one?

any help guys? I played with it today and I think I dont like the lighter shaft...

Well from my experience, graphite is much lighter. You may gain clubhead speed and distance but you'd really have to compare each shaft to one another. If you ordered a steel shaft and prefer that one, I'd see if they can correct the order.

I was thinking of going graphite because of my elbows but never made the switched.
any help guys? I played with it today and I think I dont like the lighter shaft...

Well from my experience, graphite is much lighter. You may gain clubhead speed and distance but you'd really have to compare each shaft to one another. If you ordered a steel shaft and prefer that one, I'd see if they can correct the order.

I was thinking of going graphite because of my elbows but never made the switched.

I dont recall ever seeing a Niblick with a graphite shaft

We have both steel and graphite here.

I'd check with the rules first. That seems like the biggest hurdle to me.

If they are legal there is a tough decision for you it sounds like. To be honest, I would do what works best for your game. I know some that wont play this because it's "Cheating", and I just don't see that logic. We strive to find the equipment that works best for our game. I look at it as a hybrid iron. With a 4h I can hit punch shots, full shots, trouble shots, chip around the green etc... Well the 42* Niblick is the same thing.

If you want to learn to hit wedge shots because you feel they would work best for you, then I would go that route. I wouldn't choose one over the other based on feelings of doing things the "right" way. As a long time Niblick user I can tell you there is definitely skill involved. There are rounds where I don't have a shot for it but it sure is nice having that club. Just a shorter hybrid to me.

Background: Bought a 42* Niblick early this season... flat out loved it. learned how to hit a variety of shots with it. didn't use any of my other wedges... bought a 56* degree as well... lost the 42* on the course one day a couple months ago. As a result, started using my normal wedges again with moderate success... chipping did suffer a bit at 1st but figured it out.

Fast-Forward: I have 56* Niblick that I am not using and 2 set of wedges that I love.

I loved using the Niblick because it simplified things for me and cut down on the over thinking and trying to hit wedge shots that are not in my repetoire. But I love golf and want to get better and I felt like using the Niblick was taking the easy way out rather put in the wedge work on my short game.

So now I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and take the wedges out and buy a new 42* Niblick or take out the Niblicks and focus on my wedges...

Any thoughts? Also, does anyone know if Niblicks are actually legal for like tournament play or something like that? I am planning to play in some tourneys next year and if they aren't legal, then I don't want to become dependent on them.

as long as the grooves are legal (in 2014) there shouldn't be a problem - they are legal clubs as far as I know... can't think of a reason they wouldn't be - That style of club was found in almost every single bag in the 1900's through about the 1950's

I just got my 56 niblick and can't wait to try it out. I also have the 42 but get a lot of roll on fast greens...I am hoping the 56 will work out as I have read the reviews here...thanks..

White Rhino -- When did you go from 4 Niblicks to just one? I guess unlike me, your wedge game has really improved. The 42 is still my favorite -- for whatever reason, whether full swing, partial shot, bump and run, chip and roll, the 42 seems the easiest to use if you have room to roll.

White Rhino -- When did you go from 4 Niblicks to just one? I guess unlike me, your wedge game has really improved. The 42 is still my favorite -- for whatever reason, whether full swing, partial shot, bump and run, chip and roll, the 42 seems the easiest to use if you have room to roll.

I am wondering that as well. I am still using- and loving- all 4.

I am wondering that as well. I am still using- and loving- all 4.

Well guys, I still love and use the 42* but I found that I was more comfortable with an 8 or 9 iron ( or PW) in my hand tfor some shots versus using the niblick for every shot. As far as the wedges, the Eidolons I tried at the outing (though a different ear) and found them to be fairly easy to hit. I am now having a few issues since I changed the shaft but they are comming along nicely. I am tinkering with putting the 56* back in the bag as I have been having trouble out of the sand which is where I really excelled with the 56*.

Someone mentioned using the "Niblick Swing". Exactly what are they referring to? this club seems to me to be multifaceted, at least thats what the reviews say.....but really, do most of you use it when needing a full club or are you just using it from 30-50 yards and in? I think bagging a 49 would be a great idea for me, I think my strength is in the short game, especially hitting a high flop shot and landing it softly, but obviously the lie dictates whether to use that shot, where i struggle is in a tight lie situation where I am 30 or so yards out, and want to hit something that runs up and gives me a little check. Ive played around with hitting 7 irons, 8 irons and such, but its still something that gives me fits. Would love your feedback.

Someone mentioned using the "Niblick Swing". Exactly what are they referring to?

When I refer to the niblick swing, I am referring to a chipping/pitching stroke. No breaking of the wrists for the most part.

Someone mentioned using the "Niblick Swing". Exactly what are they referring to? this club seems to me to be multifaceted, at least thats what the reviews say.....but really, do most of you use it when needing a full club or are you just using it from 30-50 yards and in? I think bagging a 49 would be a great idea for me, I think my strength is in the short game, especially hitting a high flop shot and landing it softly, but obviously the lie dictates whether to use that shot, where i struggle is in a tight lie situation where I am 30 or so yards out, and want to hit something that runs up and gives me a little check. Ive played around with hitting 7 irons, 8 irons and such, but its still something that gives me fits. Would love your feedback.

I am using them mostly as iron/wedge replacements. Full regular swings on the 37* and 42* that get me 9-PW distance wth the kind of accuracy I never saw before.

The 49* and 56* I use more a chippers and bump and run clubs so I think you are on the right track with your thoughs on the 49*. But I don't use as 'niblck swing' just the same swing I would if I was doing the shot with a standard iron for a chip or full shot. A short adjustment period to get used to the wieight and short shaft- then you are off to the races with these.

I am using them mostly as iron/wedge replacements. Full regular swings on the 37* and 42* that get me 9-PW distance wth the kind of accuracy I never saw before.

The 49* and 56* I use more a chippers and bump and run clubs so I think you are on the right track with your thoughs on the 49*. But I don't use as 'niblck swing' just the same swing I would if I was doing the shot with a standard iron for a chip or full shot. A short adjustment period to get used to the wieight and short shaft- then you are off to the races with these.

Thanks man, I may grab a 37 or 42 and play with it, along with the 49 for sure. I really like my 56 and 60 wedges, but really I am in the infancy stages of refining my game and need to shave strokes so Im ready to make any changes necessary.

I use my Niblicks for full swings, partial swings and chipping. One thing I can't do with it is a flop shot because the extended flange on the sole makes it difficult to open up the face. That's why I always keep one traditional wedge in the bag.

I think the 42 and 49 are good to run it up with a little check from 30 out, but aside from different lofts, they have different sole widths. The 42 is a little narrower and I find it easier from tight lies, but YMMV.

I love my 42 more for full shots in the 115 to 120 range. I nail it most everytime. Only miss is fat and left. The chipping is sweet but I think I'd rather have the 49or 56 for close pin locations. Lots of green and it work like a charm.

I swing the 42 like an iron/wedge and it works perfectly!

I love my 42 more for full shots in the 115 to 120 range. I nail it most everytime. Only miss is fat and left. The chipping is sweet but I think I'd rather have the 49or 56 for close pin locations. Lots of green and it work like a charm.

I swing the 42 like an iron/wedge and it works perfectly!

Would you still want the 49* even with the new Jaws 50*?

I use my Niblicks for full swings, partial swings and chipping. One thing I can't do with it is a flop shot because the extended flange on the sole makes it difficult to open up the face. That's why I always keep one traditional wedge in the bag.

I think the 42 and 49 are good to run it up with a little check from 30 out, but aside from different lofts, they have different sole widths. The 42 is a little narrower and I find it easier from tight lies, but YMMV.

Good point. The flop shot is not really siuted for the niblick. I carry a CG15 60* for that.

After reading this thread, I decided to try the Niblick 56° wedge at our demo day today. It was so easy to hit! I went ahead and ordered one and will pull a wedge or two out once I figure out what I want to keep. I'm hoping it will help me get out of the sand as well as improve my chipping and pitching around the greens. Full shots seemed to be really good too.

I told the rep that it felt so heavy. He told me it was made that way to help you accelerate through the ball. I need all the help I can get!

I got a 42* Niblick early last year, and ended using it for the majority of short chips around the green. It is a very easy club to hit and it seems like it is harder to hit a bad shot with it than a good shot. My friends always give me crap saying that im using my "cheater" club. They are just mad cause im getting it inside 5 feet almost every time and they cant. All around i think it is a great club and i think people should give it a try.

Back