Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
Since I can't hit with a 3 wood, I'm wondering would a 4 or 5 wood benefit me to take the place of my 3 wood? I have a 4 hybrid and use it in the fairways over the 3 wood and over my long irons. I have a 4 iron, but don't hit with it well :(

Since I can't hit with a 3 wood, I'm wondering would a 4 or 5 wood benefit me to take the place of my 3 wood? I have a 4 hybrid and use it in the fairways over the 3 wood and over my long irons. I have a 4 iron, but don't hit with it well :(

I put an R9 17* 4 wood in play this summer, it was one of the best moves I ever made.

just curious... why would be it easier to hit a 4 wood rather than a 3 wood? and by hit I mean making solid contact.

just curious... why would be it easier to hit a 4 wood rather than a 3 wood? and by hit I mean making solid contact.

Higher loft and sometimes shorter shaft can make it easier to hit clubs for many.

Higher loft and sometimes shorter shaft can make it easier to hit clubs for many.

So I had a question: I can hit my hybrid without problems and my 3 wood I cannot hit. If I shortened the shaft on the 3 wood, to make it the same length as my hybrid, would it work better?

So I had a question: I can hit my hybrid without problems and my 3 wood I cannot hit. If I shortened the shaft on the 3 wood, to make it the same length as my hybrid, would it work better?

That may mess up the lie angle. You may need to have the club bent so it sits properly.

I'd vote for the 5 wood. Easier to hit then the 4 wood and then you would have less gap between your 4 hybrid and woods.

Welll, I guess its to the golf store over the weekend :( In between my driver and 4 hyrbid/4 iron that's a big gap.

You could try a No2 hybrid, they have a shorter shaft than a 3w by around 2" and in my case is probably 10-15 yards shorter but I can live with that as it puts me in a good position most of the time, where a 3 wood puts me in a bad mood most of the time!

The past year i havent been able to hit a fairway wood to save my life. I stick to a hybrid for a long fairway shot.

I'd vote for the 5 wood. Easier to hit then the 4 wood and then you would have less gap between your 4 hybrid and woods.

Agreed... I use my 3 wood off the tees when needed and my 5 wood off the fairway with exception of flyer lies then I will try the 3 wood, usually with success.

I am smiliar to you Little Bertha, I use the 3 wood off the tees sometime and the 5 wood off the fairways.

How big is the head of your SuperFast? Heightwise I mean. Maybe a lower profile fairway wood would be better for you. I prefer the lower profiles for my fairway woods. (I do not remember whether this club is a big headed wood or low profile!)

How big is the head of your SuperFast? Heightwise I mean. Maybe a lower profile fairway wood would be better for you. I prefer the lower profiles for my fairway woods. (I do not remember whether this club is a big headed wood or low profile!)

It's not very big at all. So I'd thunk it'd be low profile right? It has a really small head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a6cd89f5-ba0f-3b32.jpg

Oh cool I can send pictures now. Here's the clubhead on my 3 wood. It's not very big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my 3 wood out this summer and just use my 5 wood (19*) for now. I'm probably going to buy one or two of the new Cleveland fairway woods when they come out. I think they will have a 17* 3 wood which is comparable to a 4 wood. I may also buy a 7 wood (22*) and just have those two fairway woods and maybe a 5 (26*) hybrid Mashie. Still trying to figure out what's best for my bag. I've been buying random woods and hybrids on sale but I think I'm going to switch to all Clevelands next year since I hit them so much better than any I have tried. Those Miyasaki shafts make all the difference to me.

Last edited:
We went to the golf store yesterday and I hit the TaylorMade Burner 5 wood and the Callaway Octane 5 wood. Since I already have TaylorMade woods (driver and 3) it just seems like an easy choice. But j hit them both solid and we just finished playing a round. So it's back to the golf store later during the week and over the weekend to decide which one I'm going to get :confused2:

Good luck GC. I'm sure you'll like having a 5 wood in your bag! I suggest you see if they have a 17* wood and give it a try too. That would be a weak 3 wood or 4 wood. That's what I'm going to try as soon as the new Cleveland line comes out. I'm hoping the difference in loft will be easier to hit for me. If you do try one, please let me know how you liked it!

My wife is waiting till next spring right now to try out a few 3woods, 5woods and hybrids as well. Good luck in your searches!. :)

She hit a Diablo 3w and a DWS 4hybrid today out off a patch of grass we shovelled. Oh man, missing golf sux!. :)

Back