Xmas Dinner Plans?

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
Im doing a big dinner this year - 14+

Going to slow smoke a 14 lb dry aged, prime, standing rib roast for about 8-12 hours. Really not sure how long its going to take as this will be the biggest piece of meat ive ever smoked.

And i chose to do this on the BGE - as it will free up valuable kitchen space.

Mother always wants ham and beef on xmas - so i need to do a ham.

With prime rib - necessity dictates: Yorkshire Pudding and Au Jus.

stuck on dessert: nothing comes to mind yet - gingerbread? fruitcake? still early out in the planning stages.

need a few starches, few veggies ( i do have one vegan and one vegetarian to accomodate)

Anyways: if you are cooking - what are your plans? ideas?

dude, you can bring it in the kitchen. i will definitely be checking out what you come up with. i never cook, we always go to her parents on christmas eve, and her momma always cooks a big ol' southern style christmas morning breakfast (homemade biscuits and gravy, her breakfast casserole, scrambled eggs, homemade hash browns, bacon, sausage, and mamosa's). then we hit uncle daddy's for christmas dinner. he's a legend on the grill and the smoker (we usually have a huge prime rib and some filet tail, always have shrimp cocktail, and plenty of cold beers). we like to celebrate.

We're going out of town. Not sure what we are having!

I do a Christmas Eve appetizer spread. Haven't thought about it yet. Last year I served shredded duck in chipotle-guajillo sauce with roasted corn kernels served on corn crepes. Goat cheese with tri-color roasted peppers crostini. Crab crepes with a tarragon cream sauce. Tiny ribeye sandwiches with caramelized onions: blue cheese and horseradish sauces as sides. Serrano Ham, manchego cheese, and tomato crostini. French bread stuffed with a pistachio, butter, and Swiss cheese mixture, then sliced. Grilled garlic shrimp. That's most of them.

The duck was one of the best things I've ever made. Cut in pieces I roasted it to render the precious golden fat. Then I braised them in chicken stock until they shredded. The sauce is made from hydrated dried toasted chiles which are run through a food mill, then fried into a thick paste. Then I added the braising liquid to the paste, added the shredded duck, then baked until simmering. Used corn crepes like taco shells, and served with sour cream and corn kernels I roasted in a carbon steel pan.

Kevin

I do a Christmas Eve appetizer spread. Haven't thought about it yet. Last year I served shredded duck in chipotle-guajillo sauce with roasted corn kernels served on corn crepes. Goat cheese with tri-color roasted peppers crostini. Crab crepes with a tarragon cream sauce. Tiny ribeye sandwiches with caramelized onions: blue cheese and horseradish sauces as sides. Serrano Ham, manchego cheese, and tomato crostini. French bread stuffed with a pistachio, butter, and Swiss cheese mixture, then sliced. Grilled garlic shrimp. That's most of them.

The duck was one of the best things I've ever made. Cut in pieces I roasted it to render the precious golden fat. Then I braised them in chicken stock until they shredded. The sauce is made from hydrated dried toasted chiles which are run through a food mill, then fried into a thick paste. Then I added the braising liquid to the paste, added the shredded duck, then baked until simmering. Used corn crepes like taco shells, and served with sour cream and corn kernels I roasted in a carbon steel pan.

Kevin

you got room for one more this year? good lord man!

TC I think we could swing by Esox's place for christmas eve, then jump on a plane to Ohio and get to cg13's place for christmas dinner. lol

===== QUOTE Esox ====

Kevin

===== /QUOTE ====

No doubt, good grief Kevin, I can't pronounce half of what you had yet it still sounded good, lol.

I love duck, but you can keep the sour cream.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

TC I think we could swing by Esox's place for christmas eve, then jump on a plane to Ohio and get to cg13's place for christmas dinner. lol

yeah, good plan. i'd even wear one of those cheesehead things too. when in rome baby!

yeah, good plan. i'd even wear one of those cheesehead things too. when in rome baby!

A cheesehead hat, a Wisconsin badger jersey, and a case of beer. How could esox not let us in? haha

Every year my wife and I do a xmas dinner we call our "Xmas for hobos". Victoria being the nicest climate in Canada we get a lot of transplants from the rest of Canada and we have a lot of friends with neither the funds nor the time to fly home to be with their families. So for the past 5 years we invite everyone over to our house plus our families for a big dinner and its just a lot of fun. We do turkey 2 ways, Deep fried and oven, a small turducken, and then all the fixen's. We usually end up with about 20 people or so and we just ask that you bring a bottle of wine, beer or spiced rum (sailor Jerry's) and we supply all the food. This has also had a positive effect since we have had the first grandchild in the family and everyone wants a piece of your time here or there, pain in the ass, so everyone just comes here and we don't have to worry about doing 4 xmas at all the outlaws places.

There's always enough food. Too much.

Kevin

I deep fry a 14lb turkey, roast a couple of 8lb prime ribs and a warm up a 14lb honey-baked ham, but I won't go into detail. I'm still salivating over Esox's Christmas Eve's "appetizers". Goodness gracious!

I deep fry a 14lb turkey, roast a couple of 8lb prime ribs and a warm up a 14lb honey-baked ham, but I won't go into detail. I'm still salivating over Esox's Christmas Eve's "appetizers". Goodness gracious!

That's some impressive meat poundage, Bonk. Awesome.

Kevin

TC: good idea with the shrimp cocktail!
ESOX: love the duck app: wow that sounds amazing. Stuck on the sauce: you said you fried it? or were you just roasting the chilis? then pureeing them all? Def sounds like a good recipe to add the to app collection: i'll look for a good app of mine we can swap recipes!

we did turkey on thanksgiving so im omitting that.

Ill def do a shrimp cocktail appetizer with some big ol prawns - i like the look of one big 8 " shrimp in a cocktail glass per guest hehe. or maybe 2, small shrimp piss me off during prep lol. I HATE HATE HATE de-veining, de-shelling shrimp.

maybe a tiny bowl of cheddar/beer soup with some crusty bread between shrimp and the main course.

love the ideas so far!

if Taco Bell is closed........ I don't know

I haven't set a menu yet, but I cook an awesome turkey and I have requests for it. I have been handling all the holidays since my Dad died last October. I have been pressed for time lately, though. I am going to make a special pecans pie with Mr. Sweetnuts pecans. That pie will be unbelievable!

I learned to make that sauce from Rick Bayless's first cookbook. It's a modification of what he call the essential simmered guajillo sauce. Split and seed dried guajillo and chipotle chiles. Press flat with a spatula on a heated cast iron or non stick pan until there's a wiff of smoke and they start to turn golden. Turn and toast other side. 3 to 1 ratio guajillo to chipotle. If they're not toasted, the sauce will be bitter. Soak in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and discard liquid which is also bitter. Toast five or six cloves of garlic dry in their skins in the pan until they soften. Puree the chiles and garlic in a blender with just enough chicken stock/broth until smooth. Run the puree through a food mill to remove skins.

When you have this thickish liquid, heat a ceramic Dutch oven or stainless skillet until really hot. Add olive oil to decently coat. Add ALL the liquid and fry, stirring constantly until it's a rich earthy red and it's the consistency of a thick paste.

This is the base for the sauce. You can add chicken, seafood, or beef stock, a little wine, whatever. When its simmering it is the most beautiful rich color. It needs a little sugar and salt. At the end, a little lime juice or grated Mexican chocolate also gives it a really bright, yet deep flavor.

This broth make the most amazing smooth chili, great for enchiladas, etc.

Bayless says the problem with most sauces made with dried chiles is they are bitter. The toasting, skin removal, and frying takes that away. I have a buddy that makes big batches of the paste and freezes it. Throws a tablespoon or two of it in soups, stews, whatever. He's addicted to it. It's tedious to make, but well worth it.

Hope that makes sense.

Kevin

Last edited:
You boys know how to eat some serious groceries! Sounds yummy for the tummy :hungry:! I hope to eat well, stay away from the sweets, drink a few beers, and put some quality time in the gym..........

Back