Weekend Driver Sampling - Titleist 910, Srixon Z-Star, Wilson Staff DXI, Exotics XCG4

Now I am quite happy that I got the xcg-4 for Xmas.

Just a quick question the testers liked the sound but not the feel as much, do u think this is because of the stock shaft?

Also I think the price of this driver will make it a success compared to some of the competition. I got mine delivered to Australia for under 300 :)

Now I am quite happy that I got the xcg-4 for Xmas.

Just a quick question the testers liked the sound but not the feel as much, do u think this is because of the stock shaft?

Also I think the price of this driver will make it a success compared to some of the competition. I got mine delivered to Australia for under 300 :)

Maybe. I cannot comment for them, but I found the shaft "okay". I think it held up well and did just fine compared to most shafts we have tried. This brings up an interesting topic though. The Srixon does in fact come with a shaft (standard) that was far and away the best of the bunch for ALL four of the testers. Yet is priced similar. Hard to top that for me anyway.

Great reviews JB, i for one am not surprised in the performance of the DXI at all based only on how good my Smooth is. The Smooth is a really good driver and very easy to hit . I expect the DXI to be good too, maybe even better and, the numbers prove that. I cant wait till my DXI gets here .

It does sound like the Srixon is an awesome driver! But I wanted a new toy for xmas. Although my thoughts are already moving towards my birthday in Feb :twist: so perhaps I might get to test the z-star out and get fitted for it.

I forgot to say thank you for the excellent information and I look forward to any further information.

Oh I was wondering if your results showed which driver had the out and out longest drive?

And any thoughts on why the two non adjustable heads dropped distance in the second round of testing? Which I thought was particularly interesting.

Thanks

Damian

It does sound like the Srixon is an awesome driver! But I wanted a new toy for xmas. Although my thoughts are already moving towards my birthday in Feb :twist: so perhaps I might get to test the z-star out and get fitted for it.

I forgot to say thank you for the excellent information and I look forward to any further information.

Oh I was wondering if your results showed which driver had the out and out longest drive?

And any thoughts on why the two non adjustable heads dropped distance in the second round of testing? Which I thought was particularly interesting.

Thanks

Damian

The Exotics had the longest drive by exactly 1 yard over the Srixon (again, just carry numbers though).

As for the two non-adjustable heads dropping distance? They didn't. The Srixon gained distance. The Titleist lost distance. I jotted down what I suspect the reason is.

That's a nice data set. I know when I get to buy a new driver hopefully this spring, I will take this knowledge with me to the stores. I would love to see the note sheets that you use when doing these comparisons. Any chance of uploading a blank?

That's a nice data set. I know when I get to buy a new driver hopefully this spring, I will take this knowledge with me to the stores. I would love to see the note sheets that you use when doing these comparisons. Any chance of uploading a blank?

There is not a lot to them. Just a word doc with the different categories on there (listed in 1st post) and 1-10 written above them.

Thanks for the little test. I'll have to add the Exotics to my short list of things to try. The Srixon is definitely already there. The more I hear about the 910 the less impressed I am after initially thinking it sounded great on paper - it just seems to come up a little short in comparison to others.

Interesting test JB. Thanks for the writeup. Can't wait for the cold weather to move away so I can get to the range with the 910 and hit a ton of balls.

Great testing. Great info.

i have to disagree on the titleist 910 d3 for me atleast great driver like i said in the past i have hit several drives 260 plus off the toe in 40* temps i luv mine. i find it forgiving

i have to disagree on the titleist 910 d3 for me atleast great driver like i said in the past i have hit several drives 260 plus off the toe in 40* temps i luv mine. i find it forgiving

I too think it is a very good driver. But this was strictly comparing it with these other 3 drivers and finding out how it did for 4 golfers on a launch monitor to gather hard data. Im glad it is working for you and you are hitting bombs like that off the toe. That is excellent. 260 plus of carry off the toe in the cold is excellent. Awesome stuff.

Last edited:

can i ask what kind of #'s you have? ie, what's your swing speed? what setup do you have on your 910 (shaft/loft *)?

it's the one driver in my testing a couple of weeks ago that i couldn't hit 260....period. whereas the other models i was testing were longer, period. i struggled getting the ball flight up, and that's not something that i typically struggle with. if i had more time i may have been able to tinker with other shaft offerings though

can i ask what kind of #'s you have? ie, what's your swing speed? what setup do you have on your 910 (shaft/loft *)?

it's the one driver in my testing a couple of weeks ago that i couldn't hit 260....period. whereas the other models i was testing were longer, period. i struggled getting the ball flight up, and that's not something that i typically struggle with. if i had more time i may have been able to tinker with other shaft offerings though

You had trouble getting the flight up with the 910? I have never heard you speak those words in my life.

I hate when I have trouble getting it up. But usually my ball flight is too high so Id love to see 14* one day on a monitor.

you must not be a serious enough golfer buddy. try a forged driver next time hehe

JB,

Have you had the chance to do further testing on any of these drivers? Any in depth reviews on them coming up?

My XCG-4 has landed in Sydney and should be here in time for Christmas. I will give my thoughts on it as soon as i get the chance to hit it.

Damian

JB,

Have you had the chance to do further testing on any of these drivers? Any in depth reviews on them coming up?

My XCG-4 has landed in Sydney and should be here in time for Christmas. I will give my thoughts on it as soon as i get the chance to hit it.

Damian

Have tested all of them out further and will continue to put each one in play leading up to a review. There are separate threads on each one of them that I will be updating or have been updating.

Back