Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

TC,
You originally ordered your 2.0s altered to your specs. If they had come that way, should I discount your findings because they were not stock?

I find this comical. And we both know what you are doing or trying to do and that is discount someone elses credibility in how they chose to test these clubs. Maybe next we should break down each persons swing to see if its up to par for testing.

i'm not discrediting anything. he said he hated them, i asked why, b/c i know they weren't used. whatever, i guess we go about things differently. i guess i'm the douche here and i'll move forward.

TC,
You originally ordered your 2.0s altered to your specs. If they had come that way, should I discount your findings because they were not stock?

i dunno, they didn't come that way.

I will keep the stock grips on my TM irons til they wear out. I firmly do not believe a grip will affect the play. and rarely do I play in the rain. I do want to say, I understand if someone has big hands and needs bigger grips

Well then...that was fun. I'm going to just throw my cheap .02 cents in after the fact because I'm much better at that than I am debating things. I played the Burner 2.0s for about a month or so with the stock shafts, I ended up changing to a better grip, the stock grip wasn't great but then again it was definitely manageable. I just knew of a better grip and chose to go to it, new grips or old grips have not made me feel any different about these irons what so ever, good shots still feel amazing and bad misses still perform better than I am used to. I could have played them with the stock grips just fine, but I now have something that feels better to my soft sensitive hands.

This is pretty entertaining reading. TC, I don't really know you, but I don't think your a "douche". But on this matter you are wrong:D

That was like something that can be likened to a "quickie"

I will keep the stock grips on my TM irons til they wear out. I firmly do not believe a grip will affect the play. and rarely do I play in the rain. I do want to say, I understand if someone has big hands and needs bigger grips

You know what they said about guys with big hands :D?

Spoiler

They can palm a basketball :thumb:

I owe hanks an apology and one to anyone else who had to put up with my rant/tirade. I had a rough day and unfortunately took my frustrations out on a friend. Sorry bro and to anyone else.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I owe hanks an apology and one to anyone else who had to put up with my rant/tirade. I had a rough day and unfortunately took my frustrations out on a friend. Sorry bro and to anyone else.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

Does this mean you do care how I pick out my shoes

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

In an attempt to get this back on topic....

I got a call shortly before lunch today from my pro. He let me know my 2.0s were in. I immediately got up, put on my jacket and went directly to the course.

The plastic is still on the clubheads, but I'm heading to the indoor bubble tonight on my way home to hit these bad boys. Definitely excited.

And, just to clarify, since I got them 1 degree upright, I also got Golf Pride Multi Compound grips on them. Sorry TC.

In an attempt to get this back on topic....

I got a call shortly before lunch today from my pro. He let me know my 2.0s were in. I immediately got up, put on my jacket and went directly to the course.

The plastic is still on the clubheads, but I'm heading to the indoor bubble tonight on my way home to hit these bad boys. Definitely excited.

And, just to clarify, since I got them 1 degree upright, I also got Golf Pride Multi Compound grips on them. Sorry TC.

Good news! Be sure to come back and let us know how the first time was. And hopefully the bubble doesnt collapse lol

Well, I am teeing it up Saturday morning in Phoenix. That will beat hitting inside.

Yea I hear ya, only low 60s today in SoCal. Brrrrrrr :D

Don't rib it in. I just moved from LA and right now I can't figure out what the ___ I was thinking.

First went to the golf dome closest to my house and it was closed. Then went to a different place where you hit out of stalls and can see ball flight.

I hit the even clubs -- 4, 6, 8, PW -- and left the odds in the car.

I hit for about 30 minutes, which was about a large bucket and a half.

Initial impressions are positive. Ball flight was high, but not too high. What I liked the best was that there was not a lot of right to left movement once I hit a few and kind of got used to them.

I generally draw the ball and can get it going too far right to left when things aren't going well. Good swings with these got to the top and moved just a few yards. Now it was cold, balls were hard and it was difficult to know what the wind was really doing.

Have no idea on distance. It was dark and didn't hit any of my other irons to attempt to compare. Also, I haven't played since the first weekend in November so there was a little rust.

The true test will come starting Saturday in Phoenix. I will probably mix in four rounds of golf in eight days there with family responsibilities.

My initial feelings, however, are positive. Looking forward to getting a full sense of what these bad boys can and will do.

I saw some where that Kenny Perry put these in play. It says a lot about these sticks if a touring pro puts them into play.

Ya page 76!
I saw some where that Kenny Perry put these in play. It says a lot about these sticks if a touring pro puts them into play.

Well, after few weeks of drooling over reviews on THP. I finally surrendered and ordered Burner 2.0 4-PW with KBS Tour 90's. I went to Dicks and traded in 5 sets of "old" golf clubs (Callaway Fusion, R7 CGB Max steel, R7 CGB Max graphite, Mizuno MX-950, and TM Burner Plus), 15 wedges (CG 10, CG 11, R7 CGB Max, and Mizuno MX-950), and 4 putters (1 Guerin Rife putter, 3 Odyssey putters, but I'm keeping my Betinardi putters). I know I have issues. I'm still trying to buy into this game. I've only been play golf since 2004 and I had the "luxury" of going through more than 12 sets of golf clubs. But now, I'll keep only 4 sets and one of them will be the new Burner 2.0! I'll keep my Adams A4 forged and Tommy Armour Silver Scot (hoping one day I would be good enough to this blades). BTW, I love THP throwback Thursday article on the 845's.

Back to Burner 2.0, I had two hours of fitting sessions and have tried KBS Tour 120g with Burner 2.0, stock shaft reg and stiff flex, stock graphite, and DGSL S300. But I still prefer the feel of KBS Tour 90's. The online SmartFit program from GolfSmith and TGW both told me to go with +0.5 inch and 2* up. But, after the fitting session the stock length and stock iron length and stock lie angle are better suited for me. I did order with stock grips since I like the alignment help as pointed out by TC and OEM. Puttin4Bird, I love your reviews on the UST Mamiya Comp SC grips. I have that on my A4s and love it. I hope the irons will be here before the Christmas/New Year, so I can hit on the range, launch monitor, and snow. LOL. Sorry CG16s, you will have to wait until Spring 2011. Maybe I'll get more golf lessons in the Spring as well.

I'll post more once I've received the irons. Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Nice, ETT! Can't wait to hear how they work for you.

Great post early and yes you do have issues. Thats ok though youre in good company. Look forward to your thoughts once you get the new clubs and congrats!

Back