Directv and Golf Channel

calebt17

Reaction score
Handicap
David Dusek, Sports Business Journal also reports DirecTV could drop Golf Channel over combo of license fee and poor ratings. Current deal ends 12/31/10.

What changes would you make if you were in charge of GC?

Stop playing reruns all the time! I don't need to see Haney and Romano 4 times in a row!

Stop playing reruns all the time! I don't need to see Haney and Romano 4 times in a row!
+1 on that! I don't really like a lot of the GC programming outside of live tournament coverage. I wouldn't be without it though due to Thurs/Fri coverage of TOUR events.

+1 on 9I's suggestion. show freaking golf! i don't care if it's old golf, and stop w/the ridiculous infomercials up until about 6am. they may have the worst programming in mid afternoon mon-wed. they have the viewers but some idiot schedules the dumbest stuff.

David Dusek, Sports Business Journal also reports DirecTV could drop Golf Channel over combo of license fee and poor ratings. Current deal ends 12/31/10.

GC should sell itself to NBC or CBS, preferably whichever one of those has the Masters rights. ABC has ESPN. I wouldn't want ESPN to be influencing any GC coverage.

GC is in a tight spot. It all depends on how many viewers Directv has compared to other competitors. But, all of that stuff, historically, has gotten resolved in negotiations as the deadline approaches.

Personally, I have Directv and if they get rid of GC, I am definitely changing providers. My contract with them expired mid-January.

no non-golf related movies shown.....

Direct TV has been slipping. They won't mention it on their website but they've lost about 20 some channels in the last 2 years. Yea yea, that means they've gone from some un godly amount of channels to an un godly amount minus 20. But it's still not a good sign.

+1 on 9I's suggestion. show freaking golf! i don't care if it's old golf, and stop w/the ridiculous infomercials up until about 6am. they may have the worst programming in mid afternoon mon-wed. they have the viewers but some idiot schedules the dumbest stuff.

+1 to that and 9I.

Off the top of my head, I'd say 75% of their coverage is garbage and reruns. Those 30 minute infomercials are a beatdown.

+1 to that and 9I.

Off the top of my head, I'd say 75% of their coverage is garbage and reruns. Those 30 minute infomercials are a beatdown.

i mean, does anyone care about the haney project? has anyone actually learned anything from that? stupid shows. they need to do more reality based competition shows, ie big break, but perhaps w/some people who actually need a big break. show golf, have golf central, and for the love of god, can haney/donald/infomercials/point break/analyze this/and michael breed, lol

I would love to see more golf, less of the blast from the past golf though...Also, that stupid funniest golf moments show could be gone. and I wish they would show only HD stuff, some of the tourneys they show are just hard to see. a ball in the fairway and ONE-T cant see it. I may come up with a show and present it to them. There is an idea.

I would love to see more golf, less of the blast from the past golf though...Also, that stupid funniest golf moments show could be gone. and I wish they would show only HD stuff, some of the tourneys they show are just hard to see. a ball in the fairway and ONE-T cant see it. I may come up with a show and present it to them. There is an idea.

They should do a reality show on One-T coming up with a show.

I can't watch afternoons obviously becuase of work, but I too would love to see more golf. Even if it's just highlights and such.

I like it! I have some ideas for some sweet GC shows. I really need to write something up and try and get a meeting with them.

that show would never end static. then i might as well watch hank haney try to fix some swing of a bazillionaire.

i mean, does anyone care about the haney project? has anyone actually learned anything from that? stupid shows. they need to do more reality based competition shows, ie big break, but perhaps w/some people who actually need a big break. show golf, have golf central, and for the love of god, can haney/donald/infomercials/point break/analyze this/and michael breed, lol

I'd keep Breed, but the rest can definitely go.

no non-golf related movies shown.....

Tilghman's joke about Point Break, getting questions why Point Break is on Golf Channel. Don't u see? U find the POINT where the putt BREAKs. Bet u feel silly now.

that show would never end static. then i might as well watch hank haney try to fix some swing of a bazillionaire.

Limbaugh is coming up next.....

I'd keep Breed, but the rest can definitely go.

i can't listen to him. he's a good teacher but i just can't stand the way he talks. he's like a 6 year old in an adults body. can him!

Tilghman's joke about Point Break, getting questions why Point Break is on Golf Channel. Don't u see? U find the POINT where the putt BREAKs. Bet u feel silly now.

hahahaha, that explains it all

i can't listen to him. he's a good teacher but i just can't stand the way he talks. he's like a 6 year old in an adults body. can him!

I used to think the same way, but I've warmed up to him. He can still drive me up the wall with the crap he says, but like you said, he's a good teacher and that's why I watch.

GC should sell itself to NBC or CBS, preferably whichever one of those has the Masters rights. ABC has ESPN. I wouldn't want ESPN to be influencing any GC coverage.

GC is now owned by NBC who is going to be owned by Comcast sometime in the first quarter of 2011 (because we know the FCC won't protect the consumer...but that is another rant for another forum). Anyways, they've been owned by NBC for most of 2010.

I 1000% agree with everyone here. I want golf on Golf Channel. Not how to be ripped in 90 days. I don't even want golf product related informercials (but I understand the need for some of that).

I tweeted Golf Channel over the weekend griping about them showing Point Break to which the brain trust that is Kelly Tilghman later tweeted some crap non-sense about how it was related to golf because putts break to the point. Anyways, Golf Channel has over 25yrs of archival footage of tournaments along with the rights to some of the old Wide World of Sports silly season stuff and Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. Show me that during the down time between tournaments. I'd like to see Jack, Arnie, Lee, and Gary playing a skins game while they are on microphone. I want to see a "grudge match" between Payne Stewart and Nick Price on Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.

BTW, not related but if you have Sirrus/XM radio, there was a strong possiblity that PGA Network was going away for some of the same reasons. It appears we will have it back for 2011 but maybe not after. I listen to tournaments when I'm in the office and on the road during the season and know I would miss it.

Still the highest rated show on the network, so somebody is watching him.

As for what will happen to the Golf Channel? Dont get too worried, look at who owns them and then look at what is going on with the major networks right now and it will all unfold before your eyes.

This would really make me upset, I like some of the programming along with the golf coverage.

Back