My Favorite All Time PM to Me

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
With the 'golf snobbery' thread and RxGus's reply (and my agreement) that it should've all been handled via Private Message (PM), I thought I would share with everyone a PM conversation I had with a forum user (not THP) that took place 3-4 years ago. I also understand and respect that PM's are Private for a reason. But, I believe the Statute of Limitations has run out on this one. So, I'll share it (kind of like a Law and Order episode that is fictional but 99% based on a real case that happened within the past year in some major city).

I can't imagine how this would've gone if the person's original request would've been done via public thread and not PM. Heck, this person my now be a THP member and I don't know it. Oh well. IMHO, it's a great read.

The below is a private message (PM) conversation that took place between me and ‘some dude’ on a golf forum website. For discussion purposes here, we’ll call him Dick. At this particular site, there is a forum thread specifically for Michelle Wie discussion. All names have been changed and curse word's altered.

Originally PM from Dick
Though there is recent news on the Michelle front, I'd like to encourage you not to comment in the thread. The only way for the circus that is Michelle Wie to die off is for it to be ignored. Post if you'd like, but I think it would be great if people would just let it die. PM me with your thoughts if you wish. Thanks, Dick

My reply: It's a golf forum. People can discuss whatever they want as long as they aren't abusive to other members. Like it or not MW is a golf story. I take a casual interest in her career and am more likely to watch an LPGA event if
she is entered. If you don't like MW then you should completely ignore the
MW thread whenever you see it in "New Posts". I, on the other hand, will continue to read the new posts, and reply when I see the discussion going in a direction that interests me. Do me a favor and don't involve me in your behind the scenes conspiracy to remove subject matter from a public forum. Regards,

Dick: Be a media lemming if you wish, but I have as much right to try and influence the direction of a public forum as you do to ignore me, so save me your b.s. speech.

Me: I know you have "as much right to try and influence the direction of a public forum..". I just disagree with how you are going about it, and I expressed that to you. Just because we disagree doesn't mean that you have to go on a
"save me your b.s. speech" tirade. You're the one who initiated the conversation, and you ended your PM with "PM me with your thoughts if you wish". So, please maintain some sort or civility or decorum if you want
to truly discuss the issue. And my original reply back to you has nothing to do with being a "media lemming". I take almost everything I read with a "grain of salt". And if someone says something "new" about a subject that interests me, you can bet that I will do my due diligence to confirm whether or not what he/she is saying is factual. I would add that, IMO, Bob has too much of a
fascination with MW. If he and MW lived in the same town, she would probably need a restraining order against him requiring that he stay at least a par 4's distance away from her. Regards,

Dick: My original note to you was completely civil, and you could have simply stated you disagree, thanks but no thanks, etc. The "behind the scenes conspiracy" part was nonsense, so again, spare me.

Me: My apologies for misinterpreting "PM me with your thoughts..". Most people think in more than two word sentences.

Dick: It's no problem - you don't come across all too bright.

Me: No problem at all. You don't come across as all too bright, either. Otherwise, you would've had the intelligence to compose a paragraph IN A PUBLIC FORUM asking all members to discuss, in a civil manner, the possibility of ignoring all MW topics. Instead you show your lack of intelligence, or maybe self-confidence, by resorting to behind the scenes shenanigans. Regards,

Dick: Way to spell "intelligence," there, sport.

Me: Another sign of your lack of or misplaced use of it..your only reply has to do with spellchecking an internet conversation.

Dick: I think you're missing a word, there, champ.

Me: You know, now that you mention it, I probably did forget a word. But, I can't decide on which one. You pick from the three options below.

"...an internet conversation, sport."
"...an internet conversation, champ."
"...an internet conversation, m*****f*****."
Regards,

He didn't PM me back. I miss him. LOL!

classic! i agree, i would've preferred to have been approached in private but i wasn't. it was all part of making a point. i'm ok with it.

i can't say that i've ever received a pm similar to yours static, that's somewhat unfortunate i guess. my favorite type of movie is a drama.

check your inbox hehe

kidding!
classic! i agree, i would've preferred to have been approached in private but i wasn't. it was all part of making a point. i'm ok with it.

i can't say that i've ever received a pm similar to yours static, that's somewhat unfortunate i guess. my favorite type of movie is a drama.

I'm thinking with the first "name" you used for him, that I know exactly where that came from. Last name, "Tater"?

Classic is right!! People never cease to amaze me. We all have an opinion, and that's fine. It just surprises me how some people feel the need to impose theirs. Love your responses staticline!

Classic for sure. I've gotten some funny ones, but nothing to that degree of "This is how you should think"!

This isnt related to a forum but I just had a guy on ebay today send me a message saying, "Your photography needs work on the item you have listed for sale. 1) Cant see the item to get a full view of what it looks like. 2) You say "will end the auction early if you get a reasonable offer", I feel like you need to explain on that."

I replied with "are you the effing(different word used) ebay police? Please do not tell me how to list an item, if you were smart enough to read you can see that it says message me and I will send more pictures if you need them. Also if you cant figure out what reasonable offer is, then I suggest you go back to school. Now please move along, and dont bid on my item or I will tell Mr. ebay police SR. you're being a DB.

Waiting for a response on that one lol

Classic Staticline! Absolutely classic...

That reminds me of two things: A West Wing episode where Josh Lyman finds out there is a web forum devoted to him and he decides "educate" the forum members and get's a dressing down from CJ. It has a classic line about Parliment smoking mumu wearing forum dictators (You can read the exchange here: http://childoftv.blogspot.com/2006/05/fourteen-days-of-west-wing-day-7-major.html) and a New Yorker cartoon where a dog is on a cat singles forum and the caption says "On the internet, no one knows your a dog".

That made me smile :D

I have a few PMs saved from when the whole Brett Favre fiasco was first starting in the summer of 2008 that bordered on the insane. From a guy that I had met and who had offered to take me fishing. A guy who, like me, has kids that are serious golfers. A guy who I considered a friend. I wasn't even that in to the whole Favre thing other than, you might not believe this, making a few kind of sarcastic comments. This guy went nuts on me.

It was unbelievable. He's still out there acting like an ass in football threads on a few fishing forums, and I tweak him all the time. There's one fishing forum where the Bears, Packers, and Vikings fans go at each other in a manner I fear would upset our GG. Some serious confrontation. Most of it Favre based. He's a polarizing figure. LOL.

Kevin

Back