Directv and Golf Channel

If DirecTV wants to charge me $97 per month for my signal and DVR they better darn sure have Golf and NFL Network on it. Some of the other crap they could do away with, like the 20 or so political talk channels and the 80 kids only channels - how about putting those on a separate tier to pay for and drop the price on my package?

I am excited about the Rush edition of the Haney Project. I have some great ideas to make the Golf Channel more money, but they ain't getting them from me for free!

It's probably kind of tough to fill up slots on TGC. There is only so much live golf to show, so they probably have to be pretty creative with their show ideas. Either way, I don't have it at all, so quit yer whining!

It's probably kind of tough to fill up slots on TGC. There is only so much live golf to show, so they probably have to be pretty creative with their show ideas. Either way, I don't have it at all, so quit yer whining!

You are exactly right and while some of the die hards would love to watch archived footage from [insert past tourney here], the casual viewer changes the channel in my opinion.

You are exactly right and while some of the die hards would love to watch archived footage from [insert past tourney here], the casual viewer changes the channel in my opinion.

But they'll change the channel if it's an infomercial too.

michael breed and the golf fix gets the most ratings? that's disgusting. i've never wanted to throw anything at my tv until he comes on.

"golf now dot com" oh, it makes me angry just typing that.

But they'll change the channel if it's an infomercial too.

Agreed, but with an infomercial, that is direct revenue coming in to the network that costs virtually nothing regardless of viewers (generalization). In my opinion, viewers see an infomercial and change the channel, but come back to see if anything else comes on (assuming that it is not regular programming). Archived footage makes people see the coverage and assume that this is what they show. Again all my opinion, but I dont think archived footage helps them much.

I also see how they have cut back a very large amount of their infomercials as well. Neither helps long term, and with the new changes taking place, I would expect an all new network.

I would not be shocked to see TGC & Versus become very similar. Both are very much based on the same premise and owned by the same group. Historically speaking, they come from the same background as well.

michael breed and the golf fix gets the most ratings? that's disgusting. i've never wanted to throw anything at my tv until he comes on.

"golf now dot com" oh, it makes me angry just typing that.

No, the Haney Project does/did

No, the Haney Project does/did

even worse. that's it, i've lost all faith in humanity. seriously?! worst show ever. there's not one bit of knowledge one can take away from any of those shows. i'm gonna boycott GC until the next big break, and oh, i'll watch euro tour golf.

Yeah, Breed is annoying but he knows his stuff and I respect that. As far as the Haney project, I just wanna see more instruction. Thats all, I could care less about the time spent off the course or range.

even worse. that's it, i've lost all faith in humanity. seriously?! worst show ever. there's not one bit of knowledge one can take away from any of those shows. i'm gonna boycott GC until the next big break, and oh, i'll watch euro tour golf.

Not every show is there for instruction. A show ABOUT someone getting instruction does not mean its about instruction. Here is an example using a former star from the Haney Project. Everybody loved Raymond was a show that revolved around a family. A married guy and his children (to an extent). I dont think anybody watched it for parenting or marital advice. They watched for entertainment.

This to me is no different. Its entertainment and as golfers watching "famous" people struggle with the same things you as a golfer do, many people want to tune in to.

Yeah, Breed is annoying but he knows his stuff and I respect that. As far as the Haney project, I just wanna see more instruction. Thats all, I could care less about the time spent off the course or range.

Agreed.

I like the Golf Fix and I like Breed too, hes good at it.

Good points JB, I like how you look at it. I guess when I see Haney in a show 1 nice tip a show would be cool.

Agreed, but with an infomercial, that is direct revenue coming in to the network that costs virtually nothing regardless of viewers (generalization). In my opinion, viewers see an infomercial and change the channel, but come back to see if anything else comes on (assuming that it is not regular programming). Archived footage makes people see the coverage and assume that this is what they show. Again all my opinion, but I dont think archived footage helps them much.

I also see how they have cut back a very large amount of their infomercials as well. Neither helps long term, and with the new changes taking place, I would expect an all new network.

I would not be shocked to see TGC & Versus become very similar. Both are very much based on the same premise and owned by the same group. Historically speaking, they come from the same background as well.

True, but we live in a world with on screen programming guides. We can see that GC runs nothing but infomercials between x and y. I'm not saying thay have to continually run archive footage, then we'll be in the same place we are now with all the Haney project reruns. They need to spice their programming up a bit. Mix it up, don't be stagnant.

True, but we live in a world with on screen programming guides. We can see that GC runs nothing but infomercials between x and y. I'm not saying thay have to continually run archive footage, then we'll be in the same place we are now with all the Haney project reruns. They need to spice their programming up a bit. Mix it up, don't be stagnant.

Easier said than done. Original programming costs a TON of money. That is why it is saved for prime time hours.

i'm glad you guys like those shows, i do not. nothing wrong with that. i just don't watch them. nor do i have directv, so i'm pretty useless here. i thought the haney project was about a famous person getting instruction from a world class instructor? surely there's meant to be some teaching involved? who likes watching charles barkley or ray romano hit a thousand golf balls in a 30 minute segment? not me.

there's plenty of top notch instructors out there and michael breed's like a jack russell on ritalin. why him?

Isn't that kind of the same way that many of the cable channels operate? Rerun what is popular and fill the gaps with infomercials (especially at night)?

i'm glad you guys like those shows, i do not. nothing wrong with that. i just don't watch them. nor do i have directv, so i'm pretty useless here. i thought the haney project was about a famous person getting instruction from a world class instructor? surely there's meant to be some teaching involved? who likes watching charles barkley or ray romano hit a thousand golf balls in a 30 minute segment? not me.

there's plenty of top notch instructors out there and michael breed's like a jack russell on ritalin. why him?

You owned a Jack Russell!

Isn't that kind of the same way that many of the cable channels operate? Rerun what is popular and fill the gaps with infomercials (especially at night)?

True, but but you won't see the same episode of Family Guy run back to back on Fox.

LMAO TC!! That's exactly what he is!

But TC, you are missing the point of the show. Its NOT an instruction show. That follows right after with caffeine boy. It is an entertainment show. The show is about the journey of the instruction, not the instruction.

True, but but you won't see the same episode of Family Guy run back to back on Fox.

Fox is not a cable network and they have MILLIONS of dollars to spend on programming.

I'm on Direct, just locked in. Why didn't they tell me this before now? You can keep Breed and his ducky swimmy things though.

MTV would be the example I will throw out there. They show the same episode of the same show numerous times a week when it is running and then they loop the re-runs. There s always somebody watching them. I'm not saying I like it, just saying that it's pretty normal for a cable channel with a niche product.

Back