Vinoy Club, St. Petersburg, Florida

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I played this one a week ago and have to say it was an absolutely fantastic course. My buddy took pictures and was going to send them to me but of course hasnt yet. When/If I get them I will post. These course was immaculate and absolutely wide open last week. It was probably the most manicured course I had played in quite some time. It had everything you would want; wide fairways, narrow ones too; challenging greens; water hazzards abound; an island green that was really fun to play. We actually played 36 holes that day and loved every bit of it. If you are ever staying at the Vinoy Resort I highly recommend this course.

SMG

This is where my high school golf team played. Played this course close to 500 times. Used to live right down there on those cobblestone roads as well.

Do you have to be a guest at the resort or is it open to outside play?? How Expensive?

When we were still in Tampa, they were primarily open only to resort guests and local members. However they offered tee times 72 hours in advance to general public on certain days. Not sure what it is now.

As far as I know it is still open to guests and members only.

So you know it well JB. What a great place that must have been to play.

So you know it well JB. What a great place that must have been to play.

I love that course (at least when I played it) and it will always have a soft spot with me.

I will certainly play it again my next visit to St. Pete. THe Vinoy Hotel is a pretty sweet spot too.

I will certainly play it again my next visit to St. Pete. THe Vinoy Hotel is a pretty sweet spot too.

I should also mention that it was the course I got my first hole in one on ever.

Sweet. Which hole?

Sweet. Which hole?

17. It was 145.

It goes to show that courses dont have to be long to be difficult as well. I think from the tips its only 6600 yards or so.

So true. I remember that hole well. It is the one immediately following the island green. The flag was up front and it was playing about 130 the day I played it. I can see one of the reasons you are so fond of that course.

So true. I remember that hole well. It is the one immediately following the island green. The flag was up front and it was playing about 130 the day I played it. I can see one of the reasons you are so fond of that course.

The front pin was always hard at that one because of the way the green is laid out (or was laid out). I liked it best when it was deep and right. Ironically on the day for my hole in one, I also eagled the island hole before it, and birdied the hole before that and shot 31 on the back....My lowest ever. Two hole outs on 9 holes. I was in awe.

On the front?

Spoiler
I shot 55

Awesome front nine. LOL on the spoiler; been there. I had an bogey and tripple on the island. Pared #17 both rounds and birdied # 15 in the sencond round. I shot a 98 and 96 in the rounds I played that day but had a great time.

Great course. I played it once about 7 years ago. I don't remember much about it however. I remember playing with my gf's father, an imposing figure and I was just not trying to beat him and yet have him forget I was, ahem, you know...

It must have killed you to hold back on those long distance drives you are famous for Biggsy.

It must have killed you to hold back on those long distance drives you are famous for Biggsy.
LOL. I remember it getting me in trouble on that course and I didn't have as much control over it as I kinda do now. It sure was a treat to play it.

Course is very fun. They hold the PAT there frequently. Also, if you like tennis it's the only place I can think of in the area you can play on grass courts.

Course is very fun. They hold the PAT there frequently. Also, if you like tennis it's the only place I can think of in the area you can play on grass courts.

Actually Bardmoor and a few others have them too.

Bardmoor no longer has them, but what are the others you can think of? I love playing on grass, but Vinoy is a little far from my house plus it's a little pricey.

I know Saddlebrook does too, but that's really far to drive to play some tennis.

Back