Is it really easier to play in winter?

Golfin303

Reaction score
Handicap
Here in Colorado, the "season" is from April to November. Your handicap is set until the next year. The expert say it is "easier" to play in winter because the ball flies farther. While I agree with this statement, I also believe there are other variables that make playing just as difficult as in the spring and summer. For example, the ground is much harder making it harder to stop the ball on the green. Speaking of the green, the dead grass seems to slow the ball down on putts. Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I just a cry-baby about it?:crying:

Here in Colorado, the "season" is from April to November. Your handicap is set until the next year. The expert say it is "easier" to play in winter because the ball flies farther. While I agree with this statement, I also believe there are other variables that make playing just as difficult as in the spring and summer. For example, the ground is much harder making it harder to stop the ball on the green. Speaking of the green, the dead grass seems to slow the ball down on putts. Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I just a cry-baby about it?:crying:

They do?

I don't think they fly farther, but sometimes roll farther.

i played yesterday in 32 degree weather and the ball did not fly far at all... even when i felt as tho i pured it

Here the ball goes less distance, greens are harder and unpredictable, and it's cold as heck. Not easier by any means. That said, my lowest scores of the season were after it got cold, so who knows.

if the fws are frozen enough i bet i can pop a grounder pretty far... thats if i even hit the fw

if the fws are frozen enough i bet i can pop a grounder pretty far... thats if i even hit the fw

The 10' high screamer is my bread and butter lol

I know that here in WI it gets easier largely because the greens get a lot slower and there is less break to play. And then you add in no leaves on trees and dying long fescue it makes it a ton easier to find your ball if you have an way word shot as well. But I will say that colder does not mean that the ball flies farther. I am at least 1.5 to 2 clubs shorter when the weather gets down to the low 40's

You lose less balls in water hazards. Oops, ice hazards.

It is not very cold here compared to the conditions that most on here have right now and the ball can be as much as a club shorter depending on the weather. When you take into account the soaked fairways you get next to zero roll and forget trying to get decent compression because it is like trying to play out of a bowl of chili.

OP has it backwords here. A ball will always fly less distance in cold weather, colder denser air causes more friction/resistance for a ball to fly through. I've hit ice and frozen patches in fairways before though and gained an extra 80-90yards because of INSANE bounces, your ball shouldn't plug much when the ground is near frozen.

Don't forget the "lake effect" i.e., bouncing over frozen water. LOL!

i could visably see the ball die in flight down the range yesterday in the frost! like it was hitting a wall lol

two words.....n....o

I think that wind also has more of an effect when its cold then when its hot.

So I think a cold northern 10km/hr wind will do more to your ball, then a warmer 10km/hr wind from the south.

Don't forget the "lake effect" i.e., bouncing over frozen water. LOL!

my brother is a really long bomber and we were playing on a frozen course for thanksgiving
he pulled a wormburner right onto a frozen lake and the ball had to have gone more than 500 yrds hahaha

Here it is MUCH more difficult to score in winter for me. For one, since it's never frozen or dry and always soggy in the winter you don't get any roll out on drives. Also, because it's so soggy it is very easy to hit FAT shots. I can't tell you how many 60 yard pitches I have left 20 yards short because I hit the ground first and took a fish bowl sized divot this fall/winter. The only part of winter I can think if that may make scoring easier is that because the greens are wet you can stick it pretty close to the pin and not have the ball skip across the green.

Not really sure how it could be easier to play in winter. Cold means layers means less ability to move and its usually windy. Add to that hard greens that wont hold a ball and Id say its a lot more difficult.

Its easier for me to play in the spring an summer months. Less restrictions with clothing. However, it is easier around here to get on the course as it is less crowded.

Remember handicap seasons are not always because it is easier but it could also be more difficult. The purpose of the seasons is to keep the handicap set up for how the course was designed to be played. In WI the courses were not designed to be played in November or March for that matter. It is more for keeping the integrity of the course handicap and keeping a level playing field.

it is always easier for me in the winter because my play consists of the simulator and Tiger Woods '11 on PS3 or Wii.

In all seriousness though, the last time I played this year it was about 50* out and my max drive was about 260 yards. That is 20 yards less than my average. Irons were 1 to 1.5 clubs shorter.

Back