Is it really easier to play in winter?

it is always easier for me in the winter because my play consists of the simulator and Tiger Woods '11 on PS3 or Wii.

In all seriousness though, the last time I played this year it was about 50* out and my max drive was about 260 yards. That is 20 yards less than my average. Irons were 1 to 1.5 clubs shorter.

You know I forgot all about Tiger Woods on the iPhone. I won the British Open with a -36 the other day. It was boring.

I play in a weekly "blitz" here in Georgia (1 point for bogey, 2 points for par, 4 points for birdie & 6 points for eagle) and I can say everyone has their required point's go down in the winter. More clothing, harder greens, ball travels 1 to 2 clubs shorter, and here there is usually much more wind in the winter than in the spring, summer, fall.

You know I forgot all about Tiger Woods on the iPhone. I won the British Open with a -36 the other day. It was boring.

I didn't even know they had it for iPhone. That's pretty cool. It's a good thing they don't have it on Android, I would never have a full battery or get any work done.

I didn't even know they had it for iPhone. That's pretty cool. It's a good thing they don't have it on Android, I would never have a full battery or get any work done.

Its actually pretty good and well done too. I had to cover our HWSD Sunday morning for 2 hours and I was down to 50% battery by the time I got done.

While the ball does not carry farther in the cold (I lose about one club on average when it's below 50°), I think it's a combination of things. The ball is cold and that makes it harder to compress; the air is heavier; and you are usually wearing more clothes which reduces flexibility. However, when it's cold enough that the ground is frozen, all of those things are irrelevant, as the additional bounce and roll more than makes up for the shorter carry. I find that I have to play a completely different style of golf, using low running shots instead of high carries.

Landing a high-flying iron shot on a frozen green is kind of funny to watch...... once! It's not something you want to make a habit of though. :D

Whereas just about everyones scores get higher during the winter, ball doesn't go as far, we wear more clothes, etc., we can still use the winter to help our game get better and be more ready for the spring.
I know our course doesn't overseed the fairways so the bermuda is dormant and the lies are very tight. Use that time to improve your impact. Learn to get into a proper impact position and nip the ball off of the tight turf. Your distance will increase and your ball control will get better. This is also a great time to practice bump and run shots, texas wedges and putts from off of the green to fill out your short game inventory and give you more weapons for the spring when the weather gets good again.
And you can never have enough weapons.

How many people play a different ball in the winter? What do you switch from and to and why?

I was using the e6 for the really cold days, but I found the RX to be fine in the mid 40's and 50's.

It's very difficult to play in the winter up here.
A foot of snow tends to make teeing off and putting a bit of a bother... :banghead:

How many people play a different ball in the winter? What do you switch from and to and why?

i would be using the e5 but i think i'm gonna use the taylormade tour burner this winter. i will do so b/c they feel so much softer, and anything that feels softer when it's cold, gives me confidence.

last time I played I actually used the e6 and thought it was good for me in the 40* weather that I played in. it brought back nice memories but the 330-s still has a home in my bag. at least until I go through my next ball fitting in the spring for the new golf season

last time I played I actually used the e6 and thought it was good for me in the 40* weather that I played in. it brought back nice memories but the 330-s still has a home in my bag. at least until I go through my next ball fitting in the spring for the new golf season

I used the e6 my last cold round too, found it to be a pretty good cold weather ball.

Landing on a frozen green is not an option here, all of the courses here will not let you out until the greeens have thawed, the course was closed 2 straight days last week which is very unusual here. Needless to say if the course is not open when the greens are frozen, we never play frozen fairways either. In the 12/13 years I have been playing golf there have probably been less than 5 days that I planned to play that I could not because of frozen greens.
While the ball does not carry farther in the cold (I lose about one club on average when it's below 50°), I think it's a combination of things. The ball is cold and that makes it harder to compress; the air is heavier; and you are usually wearing more clothes which reduces flexibility. However, when it's cold enough that the ground is frozen, all of those things are irrelevant, as the additional bounce and roll more than makes up for the shorter carry. I find that I have to play a completely different style of golf, using low running shots instead of high carries.

Landing a high-flying iron shot on a frozen green is kind of funny to watch...... once! It's not something you want to make a habit of though. :D

oh man i was on a par 3 today that was totally shaded from the sun
i had to use my divot tool to make a hole in the ground just to put a tee in
i hit a 5i to the front of the green(pin was back) and the ball bounced so high it actually landed on the black teebox of the next hole
i switched from a bs b330rxs to a pinnacle dimension today and it was a pretty nice ball to smack around on a frozen course
i started off with a pro v that felt like a rock

E5s are another good choice in the winter conditions we have here. No roll and the possibility of a plug means using a less expensive, carry oriented ball that is more easily compressed is the only way to go in my opinion.

Landing on a frozen green is not an option here, all of the courses here will not let you out until the greeens have thawed, the course was closed 2 straight days last week which is very unusual here. Needless to say if the course is not open when the greens are frozen, we never play frozen fairways either. In the 12/13 years I have been playing golf there have probably been less than 5 days that I planned to play that I could not because of frozen greens.

We don't open the course when there is frost on the greens even when the ground is frozen, because you break the grass blades off right at the base of the stem just by walking on it. Playing when the ground is frozen but when it's warm enough for the grass to be thawed doesn't cause significant damage to the putting surface. It's surprising how tough turf grass is.

I play the same ball winter and summer. I change how I play it but not what I play.

Is it really easier to play in winter? Not where I live in Indiana. Its been in the 20's for couple of weeks and the ground has been white about as long. The older I get, the more I hate winter.

It isn't easier to me. Raingear and rainboots, balls plugging so bad they get lost. Rooster tails on putts. I think they suspend the handicaps because they allow lift, clean and replace and the move the tees up. On a dry day you can score pretty well playing winter rules. If I have them I play softer balls, nudles,laddys.

I played a charity Tourney in NJ in the begining and one thing that had an effect on me was the cold, all those layers added up. That hurt my game a bit... but hey it was for charity!

I played a charity Tourney in NJ in the begining and one thing that had an effect on me was the cold, all those layers added up. That hurt my game a bit... but hey it was for charity!

swinging in a bunch of clothes with a sweatshirt/jacket on top is really bad for my swing... i start casting really bad and the slices get worse and worse hahaah

Once I put things away for the winter they generally stay there until Spring. But there are those 60 degree days in January that you just gotta go play (or even those 40 degree days after weeks below zero, that feel like it's in the 80s that are good for hitting the range).

I was just repeating what I was told. It wasn't my opinion. Sorry for the confusion.

Here in Victoria the ball flies shorter distances than most other climates even in the summer but in the winter you lose on average 30-40 yards on your drives and at least one club more with all your irons. Our handicaps are frozen in the winter because golf becomes A LOT more difficult.

I was just repeating what I was told. It wasn't my opinion. Sorry for the confusion.

You don't need to apologize. Every topic raised makes us all question different parts of the game and we all learn a little more by everyone's differing perspectives. Keep posting...

Back