Gaming a FW v. Hybrid

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
If you had to choose between gaming a FW or a hybrid, which would it be and why?
I have never used either so I really have no idea.

If you had to choose between gaming a FW or a hybrid, which would it be and why?
I have never used either so I really have no idea.

Why not play both. It makes my game easier.

If I could only pick one it would be a hybrid as I find it easier to it while in the fairway and I can also use it a lot from the rough. That being said, the wood is great from the tee for me.

I carry both and use them for different purposes. I play both to the number that I can hit them (when I can). The hybrid is more for iron type shots where I need more length and the fairway for the longer shots that the hybrid can't handle.

I would say the hybrid and my bag is evidence of that decision. Where once it was all FWs ( had 3,5 and 7) now is hybrids. I find the hybrids to be easier to hit and able to hit in various areas on the course and I dont lose that much distance.

In our Spring Issue of THP: The Magazine, a legendary club maker interviewed says that players will usually be better at one or the other depending on the type of swing they have.

if I could only choose one I would go with a FWY wood. If I need a little less club, I will just swing easier. I would rather swing easier than muscle up

I have gon back and forth on this one. I am gaming both right now and it seem to be working. I use the hybrids much more than the wood because I hit them better. But this could all change next week. hehe

What kind of a distance gap is typically seen between a hybrid and a FW? I'm looking to fill the difference between 4 iron [assuming i learn to hit that] and my driver.

Hybrids usually have shorter shafts and smaller heads than fairway woods with similar lofts. The idea is that a 17* 4w goes farther but is harder to hit than a 17* 2h.

I have both, a 3 wood and a 4 hybrid, but yet I'll use my 4 hybrid more in the fairways and my 3 wood only off the tee. I hit much better with my hyrbid and struggle horribly with the 3 wood :crying: I've had several lessons on just the 3 wood, and then I forgot how to swing with my irons haa haa

Choose both and get a Wilson Fybrid 19.5*. 5w and 2h in the same club.

I like having both in my bag. The fairway woods for the longer shots and the hybrids for the shorter. I'm waiting on the new Cleveland line of woods and hybrids to come out before I decide my exact makeup but I'm leaning towards more woods (3,5,7) than hybrids (26* since I don't have a 5i) because I feel like I can get more distance out of them. I may go with the reverse by just getting a 17* 3 wood and more hybrids depending on how well I like them!

Depending how my second go round withthe mashie goes I may replace my 3w with a 15* Mashie. Let me also say i love love my 3w but I think my swing fits a Hybrid real well right now. Its a tough call but I will take a distance loss for accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both and they each serve a purpose. That being said if I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose the hybrid. I think it's just much more of a versatile club plus the swing shouldn't differ from an iron swing. Lots of uses for it in different lies. Just my $.02.

I go out with both in my bag. But only carry a 3W and 3H. I was able to drop the 5W and hit I the hybrid better then I ever did the 5W. The 3W seems to me a must for tight fairways and getting distance on second shot of a par 5(if I amlucky enough to keep it on the short stuff).

Hybrid. Cant hit fairways anymore. And i dont know why. Im more consistant with a hybrid.

I have a 3W and a 3H, and I usually pull the 3H because I'm more confident with it.

I carry a 16 degree 3 wood and a 20 degree hybrid. I love the hybrid from the rough and use it for bump and run chips close to the green. I do switch out the hybrid once in awhile for a 5 wood, but I like the hybrid best. 3 wood is a must though for the par 5's. I would hate to go without either.

Thanks for the responses!
I'm just trying to figure out my club strategy for next season... or so I keep telling myself haha.

i roll with both in my bag, and use whatever i am in the mood for... it is usually my hybrid.

I agree with JB. I cant hit a FW to save my life, but my 2H is one of the most consistent clubs in my bag. Where as my dad can't hit a hybrid, but can put his FW right on the money.

I use both for different distances.I also use my 23* hybrid to putt the ball sometimes when I am just off the edge of the green and the fringe is slightly tall instead of a putter or chipping with a iron.I use a putting motion and the small loft will get the ball over the first bit of grass and roll better then the putter, which may cause the ball to "hang up" in the grass more and not roll out as well.For me it is also easier to control the distance of roll than chipping with a wedge or say a 8 iron.

I used to be 100% fairway wood. But I a slowly moving over to hybrids since they are just so much more versatile. There were only two things holding me back from replacing all the FW with hybrids. First off the tee I just felt so much more confident with Woods. Second, in fluffy lies I keep getting under the ball with hybrids and getting short pop-ups, a problem I don't have with a 7 wood.

Lately however as I have been playing winter par-3's I am finding that I can tee off pretty well with hybrids. I am getting a pretty consistent 180 from my 21.5 in the cold damp air, which means the 7 wood is under threat on the tee. But on fluffy lies I still prefer the wood.

So overall I prefer the hybrid now. But I would not want to be without the 7 wood.

I guess real the answer to do you prefer the FW or the Hybrid is "yes".

I have done both and I think the course(s) you play may be a factor. I like the 3 hybrid, but it doesn't give me much more length than my 4 hybrid, but it is more accurate than a 3 wood. The 3 wood is great of the tee for distance, but not so great from the fairway where accuracy is needed more. On a longer course, I would game a 3 wood and on a shorter course I would probably take out the hybrid...

Back