Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I was tossing up the idea of reviewing a 15.5. I like the idea because we all are at very different spots in our games and the perspectives you will get to see will be from all walks of the game. Which will tell you a lot about the club. Most of the time when I see reviews, I don't see a lot variations on loft. The club itself is what is reviewed.

Not in anyway trying to put down your thought, just giving another way to look at it.

Absolutely, well said. I'd even go as far as saying that the role of the 15.5 is far different to the 20.5. The 15.5 is/could be a wood replacement and that means you are looking at an entirely different animal. For the sake of the review I think it would be better to get comfortable with a more familiar club such as a 3 hybrid (the 20.5) then if you really like it, move on to the 15.5.

Thanks I like to talk n brag :)

Well said man!

Im sure JB doesnt always review 1 loft of different clubs over and over, because its about the club not the loft on it. You should get a very good idea of how the club will perform based on any of the lofts, for example im testing the 18* which isnt much difference in the 15.5* so if these club is just launching missles for me perfectly I know that the 15.5 will work for me to. Just different loft still same shaft, grip, and looks of the club.

You read my mind! If the 20.5 performs, the 15.5 will be going in.

Absolutely, well said. I'd even go as far as saying that the role of the 15.5 is far different to the 20.5. The 15.5 is/could be a wood replacement and that means you are looking at an entirely different animal. For the sake of the review I think it would be better to get comfortable with a more familiar club such as a 3 hybrid (the 20.5) then if you really like it, move on to the 15.5.

I'm sure that will be the case for a lot of people, myself included!

Wait a minute! You're telling me there is a mental side to golf?!? Holy crap, my mind is blown! :D

I totally hear what your are saying. Granted some people just can't play super light equipment. However most people can adjust to it with out much hassle. It boils down like you said to being more of a mental thing more than anything. I'm sure all of you will adjust quickly if you even need to.
Its only mental for non serious golfers. Serious golfers are just to serious to think anything less than success lol

Dude you get yours in yet? You should be next in line.

I'm stuck at work for another hour!!!!!!!!!! If it comes Ill be able to hit it after dinner. Rain or no rain. Andrea's cousin is in town so we have dinner or I'd go right when I got home. I should call the kids and see lol.

Its only mental for non serious golfers. Serious golfers are just to serious to think anything less than success lol

I can tell you're seriously serious. Seriously.

I'm stuck at work for another hour!!!!!!!!!! If it comes Ill be able to hit it after dinner. Rain or no rain. Andrea's cousin is in town so we have dinner or I'd go right when I got home. I should call the kids and see lol.
Do it!
I can tell you're seriously serious. Seriously.

You must not see my posts to much then, im about as far from serious as you can get. I yell loud things on the course. lol Alright dude we gotta stay on topic now, or I get in trouble and thats no good for me.

HOPEFULLY it gets here in the next couple hours, if not then it should be here tomorrow.

I love mail time!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictures up soooooon. Id blame Texas. Ha.
I hate you right now, but then again that means mine will come tomorrow lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, i got a stiff flex. i was going to go with an xstiff, but i felt like a larger % of consumers (and forum members) would be more inclined to be in regular or stiff, so i wanted to make my review more relevant that way.

i keep thinking back to the outing when the mashie was first introduced and i remember how it just worked for so many people. you're a classic example, and i'm not trying to embarass or call you out, but you were struggling w/drivers and fwy woods down there but every single time you picked up the mashie......automatic. i mean, what is that? it is definitely intriguing.

I am not sure how much input was involved for the testers when deciding the head and shaft. Maybe you, and any other tester for that matter, could talk about why you ended up with the specific flex code.

I see you already use a Miyazaki in your R9 did you choose the same flex code? I know I vary througout my bag in regards to the stated flex although I have been trending more and more towards x-flex but the decisions are based completely on results and testing. Also as I have read many times on here there exists quite a difference between brands in what constitutes a s or x flex. For example a true RIP in s, in my opinion, is an extremely stout shaft and feels very similar in stiffness (for lack of a better adjective) to an F1 in x.

I am not sure how much input was involved for the testers when deciding the head and shaft. Maybe you, and any other tester for that matter, could talk about why you ended up with the specific flex code.

I see you already use a Miyazaki in your R9 did you choose the same flex code? I know I vary througout my bag in regards to the stated flex although I have been trending more and more towards x-flex but the decisions are based completely on results and testing. Also as I have read many times on here there exists quite a difference between brands in what constitutes a s or x flex. For example a true RIP in s, in my opinion, is an extremely stout shaft and feels very similar in stiffness (for lack of a better adjective) to an F1 in x.

We got to pick which loft we wanted and which flex. There isnt a flex code that we said for the hybrid shaft. There are 2 different model hybrid shafts, the 83 model and the 59 model. 83 model is a lower launcher shaft real low torque shaft(2.7-2.9 depending on flex) as were the 59 model is a high launching shaft and medium torque(3.4-3.6 depending on flex). Now they both have flex codes but we just went off stiff, regular, xstiff.

Last edited:
Yoccos is taunting me. Sending me pictures of the mashie at the range because I dont have mine yet lol

He said he took it to the range real fast because it was raining but cleared up a little so he wanted to take it for a test ride, and will have some pictures/info when he gets back.

That is my plan :D

I can confirm Yoccos is at the range right now testing some swings on the Mashie. Just picked up my phone to find this picture waiting for me in my text message inbox
6666b625.jpg

I can't wait till he gets it home so he can post up some thoughts and of course pictures

I know a bunch of people love the look and if it performs well I will at least try it, but to me it kinda looks like a big spoon on a stick :/ It might look completely different in person.

I can confirm Yoccos is at the range right now testing some swings on the Mashie. Just picked up my phone to find this picture waiting for me in my text message inbox
6666b625.jpg

I can't wait till he gets it home so he can post up some thoughts and of course pictures

I got that pic too... it is still rainy here :banghead:

I know a bunch of people love the look and if it performs well I will at least try it, but to me it kinda looks like a big spoon on a stick :/ It might look completely different in person.

I kind of llike a little more of a compact head, but I got over that when I hit it.

Very interesting, it has a very appealing look at address. I like that the the bottom line in the heel section does not get under the hosel completely avoiding the progressive offset that plagues a TON of the hybrids out there. I bet it is pretty easy to hit a smooth draw without worrying about overcooking it.

Very interesting, it has a very appealing look at address. I like that the the bottom line in the heel section does not get under the hosel completely avoiding the progressive offset that plagues a TON of the hybrids out there. I bet it is pretty easy to hit a smooth draw without worrying about overcooking it.

From watching Jrod hit mine, I would agree with your last sentence. He had a pretty exaggerated draw with my R flex, but he normally plays an x-flex in everything else.

just to clarify, could the testers have ordered the 83 weight shaft in this club if they wanted?

just to clarify, could the testers have ordered the 83 weight shaft in this club if they wanted?

They could order any Mashie they wanted. They come with the C. Kua hybrid shaft. Any weight and specs offered, they could have asked for.

Back