Question about bounce

Carmichael

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello THP people. I'm wondering if someone can help me out a bit with a question on "bounce". If a club has more ground off the trailing edge of the club does that mean this club has a higher bounce or a lower bounce?

Thanks.

Maybe this will help.

bouncechart.png

Courtesy of Eidolon

Yea, that helped a lot. Low bounce means that the trailing edge of the club is ground off, so the leading edge sits closer to the ground. Now I know I've always liked the look of low bouce clubs more. To me, a low bounce club would appear to be better at opening the face because the leading edge of the club still sits close to the ground and you wont have to worry about skulls as much. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking on trying my luck grinding my own wedges, any tips or info would be great. Not sure how it will effect the weight of the clubs. Thanks again.

So which club has a tendency to dig more?, low bounce or high bounce?.

Low bounce.

Different Bounces effect how the club interacts through the ground. I've got two SWs with different bounces. In the winter time the ground gets soft and muddy. The lower bounce wedge I normally use has a tendency to dig into the ground during the winter time so I used a SW with a larger sole and bigger bounce.

To me in the picture, it looks like low bounce has the larger sole.

It's more the leading edge that determines how much a club will dig into the turf. The sharper edge of a low bounce club will make contact first and have a tendency to dig in. A high bounce club the sole will most likely make contact first and tend to skim or slide accross the turf/sand.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like I like the sound of low bounce more, and it would fit my chipping style. Hoping now I know what I need. :).

It's tough to gauge without real turf! I've tried both this summer and for chipping i didn't see much difference, but for longer shots and bunker played a higher bounce helped me quite a bit. Since you're a lefty as well we'll be able to compare this summer!

My CG15s have the the DSG sole. I find that they dig a lot in the bunkers and rough. I will most likely get a 12* bounce in a 56 from now on.

Bounce is something you should consider customizing (or buying) based on the conditions you play most frequently. The course I belong to has very few green side bunkers and the sand is pretty firm so I don't need much bounce on my sand wedge. Also, I find myself in a lot of chipping areas or areas a little hard packed from cart traffic so the less bounce I have on my lob wedge, the better. That is why I went to a 5* bounce on my 60 and only 9* on my strong sand wedge.

JB - do touring pros typically rotate wedges with different bounces depending on the course, or do they generally stay with one set-up? I realize this would be highly individual, so I am asking 'as a rule' what do they do.

(I ask this because I do not have that much understanding of the vagaries of bounce - I have usually gotten wedges that match my iron set and learned how to play them in varied conditions, rather than changing clubs to fit the conditions)

BTW - yours is the best graphic illustration I have ever seen explaining bounce

Last edited:
I opt for wedges with less bounce as conditions get pretty hard and dry in the summer and I'm often hitting from a tight lie. High bounce wedges are great from the rough and soft sand. It is easy to blade a shot from a tight lie with high bounce (for me anyway).

My 52° and 60° are 6° bounce and the 56° is 10°. I only use the 56° around the green when it's in the rough or sand. I work better with less bounce. I think it depend on conditions and personal preference.

My 54˚ SW has 14˚ of bounce, while my 58˚ has 10˚ w/ the relieved trailing edge (C-Grind).
I find the 54 really just floats right through bunkers since the sand is terrible over here.

JB - do touring pros typically rotate wedges with different bounces depending on the course, or do they generally stay with one set-up? I realize this would be highly individual, so I am asking 'as a rule' what do they do.

(I ask this because I do not have that much understanding of the vagaries of bounce - I have usually gotten wedges that match my iron set and learned how to play them in varied conditions, rather than changing clubs to fit the conditions)

BTW - yours is the best graphic illustration I have ever seen explaining bounce

That is a good question. Unfortunately my answer will stink for you. The answer is yes and no. Depending on the player. We know plenty of guys that hit up the tour van and get adjustments made before every tournament if they are playing on different turf. And we know players that never touch them until they feel they need new grooves.

There are guys that make severe changes like grinding at almost every stop and others that play OTR wedges for months at a time.

Thanks for the reply - personally I prefer knowing how to deal with different conditions with one set of wedges. It seems harder to adjust weekly to new feels and new approaches to the moment of impact. I figured that it would be a very individual preference, but heck, every single player on tour is a magician inside 110 yards compared to even scratch amateurs.

Great topic.. I'll play my wedges with low bounce on tight lies and in hard thin bunkers. In soft, corse sand bunkers my hi bounce SW works good.

Thank you

Great topic.. I'll play my wedges with low bounce on tight lies and in hard thin bunkers. In soft, corse sand bunkers my hi bounce SW works good.

Thank you

this is off topic, but its hilarious your SN is Couger and your from Beaverton.

Is that some sort of sexual reference son? lol... I am thinking about asking for a name change. I was following the superfast thread some time ago, not considering participating in the forum, so I just threw that name out there. Now I'd like a name change as this site is awesome.

Back