White Drivers Good for the Game

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
I dig the white putters, drivers, woods, hybrids...

Honestly, I think it's good for the game. Now of course I wasn't around for the beginnings of golf, but just like other sports have evolved so has golf. To me, it's no longer the classic, almost boring sport that some could perceive it. (Before you get on me, of course it's still classic, but you know what I'm trying to say right?) When you see the brightly colored outfits, the white belts, the white drivers, the Anthony Kim belt buckle, the style... for lack of better a term, it makes golf cool. I think Tiger brought some energy to the sport. Now we need people to get behind the Dustin Johnsons and Rickie Fowlers to show the people who only know about Tiger that there are other candidates for their favorite player.

I hope the innovation continues and makes golf more appealing for the masses. I also think programs like the First Tee contribute, but I'm just saying that style and the "cool" factor is good for the game. Doesn't mean I like John Daly or Ian Poulter's pants though.

Title is suppose to be Drivers of course if anyone would like to whip that into shape for me.

Frankly, different colour clubs are just a fashion blip. Is it simply disguising the fact that manufacturers don't have anything new to put out, so they are reduced to playing with paint?
I understand that a different colour putter might help, since putting is very visual. But a white driver?! How is that helping performance? Does a white painted r9 Super-Tri perform any differently to one with black paint?

The only way in which white helps the game is that manufacturers sell more clubs and so will put some of that back into sponsorship etc.

Frankly, different colour clubs are just a fashion blip. Is it simply disguising the fact that manufacturers don't have anything new to put out, so they are reduced to playing with paint?
I understand that a different colour putter might help, since putting is very visual. But a white driver?! How is that helping performance? Does a white painted r9 Super-Tri perform any differently to one with black paint?

The only way in which white helps the game is that manufacturers sell more clubs and so will put some of that back into sponsorship etc.

That's not exactly correct. There is a big difference between the ST and the R11, which is face angle being adjustable independent of loft. Different color drivers have been coming out for decades. This time it's white. Yes, I'm sure it is a way to boost sales and it will probably go away, but it's not like TM just shut down their R&D Dept and replaced them with painters.

I'm just old enough I guess where the white drivers, putters etc do nothing for me. I'm curious of course as to whether the trend will continue with more OEM's bringing white clubs to market. If they do it is ok with me as long as I still have the option to buy none white clubs.
I tried a white putter once, many years ago refinished by LaMont Mann and I found it to be like a beacon on a bright sunny day. Way too bright. To each his own.

Definitely not what the R11 is. Different adjustability features and I believe a smaller head size. Different color drivers have been around. The Bubble Burner is one that immediately comes to mind. Not all drivers were/are black.

agreed +1
Definitely not what the R11 is. Different adjustability features and I believe a smaller head size. Different color drivers have been around. The Bubble Burner is one that immediately comes to mind. Not all drivers were/are black.

Anything that makes casual golf fans into feverish golf fans is a plus. Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson are both very young, their styles will calm down over some years. If you think that Rickie Fowler is going to be golfing in all orange when he's 40 you're nuts. Ultimately the American public cares about one thing, winning. Golf fans and golfers are not to cheer on a guy with an early tee time on Sunday. They are going to get behind the golfer who has the winning putt after 72 holes. White drivers and flashy wardrobes will never be as appealing a victories. Style will never be as important as dominance.

Golfers that say that the R11 does not have innovation other than color must believe that the Titleist 910 has no innovation either. As for the SuperFast 2.0. Its not just the color, weight has been reduced and moved.

Im not sure what some people would like to see? Do they want to see a product line evolve, or the wheel reinvented with each offering?

And if DJ wins a ton of tournaments this year you don't think white drivers will become that much more popular? Look at what Justin Rose did for the TM Ghost putter. Granted sustainability is key but it's hard to argue the short term success and buzz
Anything that makes casual golf fans into feverish golf fans is a plus. Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson are both very young, their styles will calm down over some years. If you think that Rickie Fowler is going to be golfing in all orange when he's 40 you're nuts. Ultimately the American public cares about one thing, winning. Golf fans and golfers are not to cheer on a guy with an early tee time on Sunday. They are going to get behind the golfer who has the winning putt after 72 holes. White drivers and flashy wardrobes will never be as appealing a victories. Style will never be as important as dominance.

White drivers and flashy wardrobes will never be as appealing a victories. Style will never be as important as dominance.

Tell that to Ian Poulter. In the world of golf, and the talent across the board, victories are not always needed. Ask the world #1. And DJ losing was a bigger story than DJ winning. Either time.

I like the idea of white for the metal woods , and any other color for that matter , think if every car was painted black ? It would be a dull drive to anywhere !

And if DJ wins a ton of tournaments this year you don't think white drivers will become that much more popular? Look at what Justin Rose did for the TM Ghost putter. Granted sustainability is key but it's hard to argue the short term success and buzz

Tell that to Ian Poulter. In the world of golf, and the talent across the board, victories are not always needed. Ask the world #1. And DJ losing was a bigger story than DJ winning. Either time.

Sure, they get press within the golf community and sports fans in general. But Ian Poulter, Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, or Rickie Fowler is not going to get air time on NBC Nightly News. They are not going to have articles in TIME magazine. Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, they get press outside of golf. I bet you that non golf fans, or even casual golf fans, have no idea who Rickie Fowler is. But I would bet you an R11 that they have heard of Tiger Woods.

That's not exactly correct. There is a big difference between the ST and the R11, which is face angle being adjustable independent of loft. Different color drivers have been coming out for decades. This time it's white. Yes, I'm sure it is a way to boost sales and it will probably go away, but it's not like TM just shut down their R&D Dept and replaced them with painters.

LOL - I should have known not to quote a model from a range that I know nothing about (I'm a paid up member of the Anything-But-Taylormade Club.....)

My point was meant to be: paint a club white and it is not better (nor better for golf in general) than the same item painted black.

I see the use of colour as a blunt marketing tool used by companies to convince us to buy this year's model because last year's colour is just so passé.
I want to see performance and functional innovation from companies, not colours.

The OP also infers that funky colours and styles (in clothes) is good for golf. Can't agree with that either.
Why do people feel obliged to step out on a golf course wearing things that they would not be seen dead in on the street?
For every person who might be inclined to see golf as less 'traditional', there is some 30/40/50-something who might be interested to take up golf but is thinking "White shoes, white slacks and a pink or lime green shirt?!?! Err, I think I'll take up tennis instead".

I bet if you asked 100 people in the supermarket who the #1 ranked golfer in the world is, 60%+ percent would get that wrong. I agree that DJ at the Straits was a big deal in the golf world. News media as a whole maybe spent 30 seconds on it. But every person with ears and eyes knows that Tiger likes Perkins waitresses.

I see the use of colour as a blunt marketing tool used by companies to convince us to buy this year's model because last year's colour is just so passé.
I want to see performance and functional innovation from companies, not colours.

Read up on what the R11 can do. It is amazing. I have no idea on performance, but I bet it isn't half bad. There is also a lot of research that goes into why they went with white. Also, do you think that companies don't paint their drivers? You know that these metals are not natural black right?

Sure, they get press within the golf community and sports fans in general. But Ian Poulter, Justin Rose, Dustin Johnson, or Rickie Fowler is not going to get air time on NBC Nightly News. They are not going to have articles in TIME magazine. Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods, they get press outside of golf. I bet you that non golf fans, or even casual golf fans, have no idea who Rickie Fowler is. But I would bet you an R11 that they have heard of Tiger Woods.

You are comparing iconic athletes of a generation to everybody else. Not exactly fair. And if you believe that DJ did not get air time after the PGA Championship, you might want to check the program guide again.

Explain your logic to me with this one. If this is the case, why does Nike Golf trail in driver sales by a HUGE margin to Taylormade? If it is all about names, why does Phil and Callaway trail also?

The Marketing of Tiger world wide helped too . The Nike plastering commercials and the real first black man to have a real dominance in a ( so called ) white mans sport .
There are many variables to who is real popular and who isn't , and yes winning does help in being recognized in a sport .

I think the white driver is a bit of a boost/excitement to a sport that has fallen a bit on hard times , a little spark in equipment never hurts either !

You are comparing iconic athletes of a generation to everybody else. Not exactly fair. And if you believe that DJ did not get air time after the PGA Championship, you might want to check the program guide again.

Explain your logic to me with this one. If this is the case, why does Nike Golf trail in driver sales by a HUGE margin to Taylormade? If it is all about names, why does Phil and Callaway trail also?

My original statement was directed at the OP. Style will not convert as many nongolf fans as a person winning would convert nongolf fans. People familiar with the sport will definately notice the little guy dressed in all orange. I also would guess that people who have never bought a club before would probably look at the Nike stuff first. Because that's what Tiger plays. But on their next driver purchase they understand the importance of fitting and adjustabiltiy technology. I will also admit that I am not as knowldgeable in the dynamics of the golf equipment market. I know that I play Taylormade because it sends the ball farther and more consistently than anybody elses.

If guys like Ricky Fowler, Anthony Kim, Paul Casey, or evn Ian Poulter want to be more relevant they need to win more tournaments. And maybe a major or two.

My original statement was directed at the OP. Style will not convert as many nongolf fans as a person winning would convert nongolf fans. People familiar with the sport will definately notice the little guy dressed in all orange. I also would guess that people who have never bought a club before would probably look at the Nike stuff first. Because that's what Tiger plays. But on their next driver purchase they understand the importance of fitting and adjustabiltiy technology. I will also admit that I am not as knowldgeable in the dynamics of the golf equipment market. I know that I play Taylormade because it sends the ball farther and more consistently than anybody elses.

And I say that is simply not the case in terms of driver sales. Couple of things, Nike drivers offer adjustability and actually did before TaylorMade. Second, if winning brought sales, Nike would be leading in at least a single marketshare category right? I mean the most dominant player in over a decade and Nike has never led a single marketshare category. Why do you think that Titleist pays triple the amount of every company to play the ball? Or that Taylormade pays more players to play the driver? Because being most used is more important than winning to the casual golf fan and non-golf fan.

Golf is a game for people with goofy pants and a fat ass.

Might be a view of non-golfers. There are bright colours, but that doesn't equal style.

It might encourage youngsters to take up the game, but to me, there needs to be a future focus on proper sportsmanship and ettiquette to go with this new 'style'.

If guys like Ricky Fowler, Anthony Kim, Paul Casey, or evn Ian Poulter want to be more relevant they need to win more tournaments. And maybe a major or two.

I think you are confused between making the primetime network news and selling golf clubs. Because a couple of those guys move the needle far more in sales than guys with major wins and multiple wins.

And I say that is simply not the case in terms of driver sales. Couple of things, Nike drivers offer adjustability and actually did before TaylorMade. Second, if winning brought sales, Nike would be leading in at least a single marketshare category right? I mean the most dominant player in over a decade and Nike has never led a single marketshare category. Why do you think that Titleist pays triple the amount of every company to play the ball? Or that Taylormade pays more players to play the driver? Because being most used is more important than winning to the casual golf fan and non-golf fan.

I will not argue any of that. My point is that flashy clothes and flat billed hats will not make golf more popular with people who are not already golf fans.

I think you are confused between making the primetime network news and selling golf clubs. Because a couple of those guys move the needle far more in sales than guys with major wins and multiple wins.

Sales have never been a part of my arguement. My point is that more people know Tiger or Phil because they win. Rickie Fowler does not have as much reach across sports/news lines as even Ernie Els.

I will not argue any of that. My point is that flashy clothes and flat billed hats will not make golf more popular with people who are not already golf fans.

And I am sorry, this is simply not true. If you dont think that PUMA has crossover appeal with Rickie Fowler and his hats, I suggest you do a little more research into who is buying them and if they are taking up the game.

Back