JB Holmes No Longer With Cobra

Don't forget Wie and Suzann Pettersen on the LPGA.

As well as Blumenhurst.

They also have 10 other Euro Tour players. 5 Nationwide players, 3 Champions Players, and 3 Japan Tour players. Nike has a huge stable right now compared to Cobra Golf. I truly hope they are able to sign some players. I would think the tie in of Puma and Cobra will be able to do that for sure.

They have 10 players on the PGA Tour and quite a few more on the Euro Tour.

Cobra I believe has 3 tour players total if you dont count Lexi Thompson and David Feherty.

Fowler has a couple of more years left with Titleist and has always played them I believe.

But please correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to ask), but didn't PUMA buy Cobra from Acushnet?

But please correct me if I'm wrong (like I have to ask), but didn't PUMA buy Cobra from Acushnet?

Yes last year. Im not sure how that relates though. They already had their own staff though.

Yes last year. Im not sure how that relates though. They already had their own staff though.

Just from the sense that players who may be tied to Puma could start playing Conbra stuff. I am suprised that Cobra doesn't have a fuller line of equipment. I know that when they were partnered with Titleist they had the Vokey wedges and Cameron putters, but now Cobra needs a wedge line, at least, to be more attractive.

Just from the sense that players who may be tied to Puma could start playing Conbra stuff. I am suprised that Cobra doesn't have a fuller line of equipment. I know that when they were partnered with Titleist they had the Vokey wedges and Cameron putters, but now Cobra needs a wedge line, at least, to be more attractive.

They really were not attached. They were owned by the same company, but their clubs were separate as was their staff for hte most part. Vokey and Cameron were Titleist brands and were not really part of Cobra. In fact the casual golfer probably did not even know they were attached. Similar to Titleist owning Pinnacle and nobody looks at them as a Titleist brand.

Cobra said to THP last year they would not be entering the wedge and putter market due to it being crowded as it is. That could certainly change though.

They really were not attached. They were owned by the same company, but their clubs were separate as was their staff for hte most part. Vokey and Cameron were Titleist brands and were not really part of Cobra. In fact the casual golfer probably did not even know they were attached. Similar to Titleist owning Pinnacle and nobody looks at them as a Titleist brand.

Cobra said to THP last year they would not be entering the wedge and putter market due to it being crowded as it is. That could certainly change though.

Although I agree, I found it interesting that poults played all titleist stuff(apart from his cobra stuff of course)

THPing on the fly. Sorry for lack of forum etiquette.

It's a loss for Cobra that's for sure, but I really could care less. I lost all respect for him last year at Bay Hill. We was on 9 or 18 and an he blew his approach shot into the water. He was so mad after he finally made in onto the green he dug this iron right down into the fairway and left it for his caddy to pull it out. No class IMO. I wonder where he'll end up.

Although I agree, I found it interesting that poults played all titleist stuff(apart from his cobra stuff of course)

He still does. Do you find it odd that DJ plays a Scotty Cameron putter? Guys sign contracts to play a certain amount of clubs in their bag. Sure Acushnet as a whole wanted their guys to stay with other Acushnet comapnies. many contracts dont include wedges or putters or even irons and hybrids. Guys can also sign ONLY deals for those things and frankly like Taylormade does with drivers, Titleist has done with wedges and putters.

He still does. Do you find it odd that DJ plays a Scotty Cameron putter?

I thought Dustin Johnson played a Kia Ma Monaco? Wasn't it a Monaco that missed the par/bogey putt on the 18th at the Straits?

He still does. Do you find it odd that DJ plays a Scotty Cameron putter? Guys sign contracts to play a certain amount of clubs in their bag. Sure Acushnet as a whole wanted their guys to stay with other Acushnet comapnies. many contracts dont include wedges or putters or even irons and hybrids. Guys can also sign ONLY deals for those things and frankly like Taylormade does with drivers, Titleist has done with wedges and putters.

No it's not odd that dj plays Scotty or anything like that. Just noticing a coincidence I guess

I thought Dustin Johnson played a Kia Ma Monaco? Wasn't it a Monaco that missed the par/bogey putt on the 18th at the Straits?

Nope it was a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Proto at the PGA Championship

Nope it was a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Proto at the PGA Championship

It must be the flaired upcut on the toe that threw me off.

Not surprised that it took JB a bit longer to make the move. He seems to work on his own time.

Same way he golfs too!

As of right now it is losing Camilo Villegas and JB Holmes and adding Johan Edfors and Lexi Thompson. Nothing wrong with either of those players of course, but not needle moving names (yet). Very curious to see where this one heads and if in fact they add someone for 2011 still.

Not yet, but Edfors gets a lot of attention based upon his looks... perhaps the male version of a Kournikova (or Adam Scott with a little less talent).

Not yet, but Edfors gets a lot of attention based upon his looks... perhaps the male version of a Kournikova (or Adam Scott with a little less talent).

Agreed. Not sure in this country that translates to sales of equipment but will not hurt global sales for sure.

Spent some time on the phone with a few agents this morning trying to get to the bottom of the whole Cobra thing and if they plan on going after some big names as Gray said (mentioned and asked about) earlier. Hope to have a clearer picture in the next few days.

Good job JB and appreciate your efforts! I think something has got to come down the pike for Cobra golf soon or the ship will sink. I am hoping the ship stays up and Cobra ends up picking up some fresh new talent. It's a hard pill to swallow to see the company's demise. It also hurts as a Cobra golf fan for many years, to see all their "A" game players jumping ship.

Good job JB and appreciate your efforts! I think something has got to come down the pike for Cobra golf soon or the ship will sink. I am hoping the ship stays up and Cobra ends up picking up some fresh new talent. It's a hard pill to swallow to see the company's demise. It also hurts as a Cobra golf fan for many years, to see all their "A" game players jumping ship.

PUMA did not buy the company to let it die off. I dont see that happening at all. However when a stable is small and two of the biggest names in that stable walk, it leads to the questions of why. Its not always just about money. PUMA has money and from what we were told today, these guys were offered contracts to return to Cobra.

PUMA did not buy the company to let it die off. I dont see that happening at all. However when a stable is small and two of the biggest names in that stable walk, it leads to the questions of why. Its not always just about money. PUMA has money and from what we were told today, these guys were offered contracts to return to Cobra.

I have stood by the Puma/Cobra merge as the foundation for why the company would stay solvent, and equipment wise I think they will stay in the market for the average everyday golfers. The comment you stated above is what is confusing the heck out me. It may be an issue of, their equipment is better than your equipment, type of thing. It might be a clothing issue type thing with Puma demanding a clothing contract or something of the like. I'm going to fish around to see if anything appears on my very small radar. It's a great question that needs to be answered concerning the future of Cobra golf.

Ok this is what I received today. It will be interesting to see if this bird will fly soon. My friend's comment on the Cobra loosing players situation is:

"Hey Bill,

:cobra: Golf
There will be an announcement very soon. We are adding some young guns who are up and coming. I'm not sure who because it has been a well kept secret. I wouldn't worry to much about a few players leaving. The word from the head office is some exciting players have signed with us and we will be making the announcement at the PGA show. "

I hope JB and team THP can relate this news to us in the near future :thumb::cobra:

Ok this is what I received today. It will be interesting to see if this bird will fly soon. My friend's comment on the Cobra loosing players situation is:

"Hey Bill,

:cobra: Golf
There will be an announcement very soon. We are adding some young guns who are up and coming. I'm not sure who because it has been a well kept secret. I wouldn't worry to much about a few players leaving. The word from the head office is some exciting players have signed with us and we will be making the announcement at the PGA show. "

I hope JB and team THP can relate this news to us in the near future :thumb::cobra:

That sounds like incredible media relations for very young players not known to the world yet. :act-up:

Wouldnt worry about a few players leaving though? Really? They only had 4 and 2 of them left.

Well it will be interesting to see who they bring onboard. It would be cool if I could be down there with ya'll watching all this unfold. I know that's not possible but it still would make my day. My guess is only the people who have the credentials to attend this show, will hear the announcement and there could possibly be a delay in reporting this to the public.

Well it will be interesting to see who they bring onboard. It would be cool if I could be down there with ya'll watching all this unfold. I know that's not possible but it still would make my day. My guess is only the people who have the credentials to attend this show, will hear the announcement and there could possibly be a delay in reporting this to the public.

If its announced and its news, it will be out immediately. But I just figured you would be there working at their booth for them Gray.

Maybe theyre going after Rocco? Hes young enough.
Spoiler
For the champions tour.
Im kidding, but his commercial with Dicks is funny.

That sounds like incredible media relations for very young players not known to the world yet. :act-up:

Wouldnt worry about a few players leaving though? Really? They only had 4 and 2 of them left.

Jokes aside, I dont see who they could possibly be signing, maybe Jordan Spieth after he turns pro.

If its announced and its news, it will be out immediately. But I just figured you would be there working at their booth for them Gray.

They are not paying me enough :thinking:.. Just kidding I would work the show for free for anybody just to see all the cool stuff coming out.

Maybe theyre going after Rocco? Hes young enough.
Spoiler
For the champions tour.
Im kidding, but his commercial with Dicks is funny.

Jokes aside, I dont see who they could possibly be signing, maybe Jordan Spieth after he turns pro.

Just don't know at this point. At least they are attemping to build their staff up. That is a better option than selling their stuff at WallyWorld and dropping all staffers.

Back