Your Driver Shaft Length

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone here using a shaft at 45" or less?

Anyone had a long shaft (Superfast) and felt better when you cut it down some?

Played a 43.5" shaft for years in my Launcher, got a 45" shaft with my FT Tour.

Mine are @ 45"

I'm at 45.75" in my Ping K15 but my normal is 45".

2 of my I-Mix shafts play 45". My Prolaunch Axis plays 45.5".

44 1/2 on my Graffoloy Prolaunch 75 gram riding in my S2 driver.

44.5 as well. The new RIP is still at 45 and I'm going to give it a whirl before butt trimming it any.

Had my R9 shafted with a 44" shaft but have since begun using Adams 9064 adjusted to 45" and happy with that.

Ok. I know I should be fitted, but when I'm hitting my driver I just feel like I don't know what the head is doing down there because it's so far away. I want to shorten it up a bit and if this is a mistake, well, I don't know that my driving can get much worse than it is right now. I'm hoping shorter means more control.

According to standard specs my Superfast TP is 46." I think I want to trim it down to at least 45." When I take it to the shop, will they simply pull the grip off, cut an inch off the butt end, which is under the grip correct?

Anyone want to say "No don't do it!" before I get this done?

They'll cut it off the butt end. Expect a little less distance but you should be more accurate.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

Go ahead and do it. I've been cutting my shafts down to 45" and lately I've been experimenting with 44.5" too. I think you'll find the control is worth it. I don't see much loss of distance if any at all. And yes they will take the grip off and cut an inch off from the butt end. Cutting from the tip would stiffen the shaft. Go for it dude.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

believe my driver shaft is 44.5.

Alright, 42.5" here we come!

I kid. I'm going to try it at 45." Thanks fellas. Maybe slap me one of those white Iomic grips like Dustin Johnson too! It's gotta be the grips! (It's gotta be the shoes, Jordan, reference incase that lost ya.)

Ok. I know I should be fitted, but when I'm hitting my driver I just feel like I don't know what the head is doing down there because it's so far away. I want to shorten it up a bit and if this is a mistake, well, I don't know that my driving can get much worse than it is right now. I'm hoping shorter means more control.

According to standard specs my Superfast TP is 46." I think I want to trim it down to at least 45." When I take it to the shop, will they simply pull the grip off, cut an inch off the butt end, which is under the grip correct?

You may lose some distance, but should gain control. Something that you may notice more than anything else is the loss of swingweight. Cutting an inch off will take 4 points of swingweight off. I believe your driver starts at a D4. You'll end up at D0 unless your shop does something to bring the headweight back up.

Yep they will cut off the butt end to shorten it up for you and then regrip. If you don't like it that short, then you can always plug the butt back up and get it back to factory specs. Good luck and my vote is to go for it!

I'm curious - how much does an inch or half an inch actually affect total distance and control?

:X

Yep they will cut off the butt end to shorten it up for you and then regrip. If you don't like it that short, then you can always plug the butt back up and get it back to factory specs. Good luck and my vote is to go for it!

I get my posting on the run

I'm curious - how much does an inch or half an inch actually affect total distance and control?

If you look at the first page OEM said he thinks it does'nt affect his distance much at all, if any.

I'm sort of looking at it as give and take. Sure the longer shaft may promote swing speed, but I feel like I have to baby it to hit the ball solid. If I cut it down, hopefully I get more accurate and if it's a little less distance, that's ok. Maybe I can swing a little harder with a shorter shaft.

The shorter the overall swing arc, the more control you have over the club head IMO. Try swinging with a fishing pole and then a baseball bat. Even though an inch does not seem like much it can affect control for some golfers. It would be great if you had the opportunity to try both lengths and see what fits you best.

If you look at the first page OEM said he thinks it does'nt affect his distance much at all, if any.

I'm sort of looking at it as give and take. Sure the longer shaft may promote swing speed, but I feel like I have to baby it to hit the ball solid. If I cut it down, hopefully I get more accurate and if it's a little less distance, that's ok. Maybe I can swing a little harder with a shorter shaft.

Thay may be a shaft stiffness issue? Which shaft do you have?

45.25 in my 9032. I find it to be a good length. I remember the 1st time I sat the superfast down and thought " I like the head, but this shaft needs to get hacked down."

Thay may be a shaft stiffness issue? Which shaft do you have?

Stiff. Matix Ozik HD6. Standard stiff shaft for the Superfast TP. I like the ball flight. I used to hit my drivers way too high, but this one is much better. Now I just feel like it's too far away.

Anything over 40" and I hit the ground on my back swing.

Back