Wooly Mammoth Resurrected

Interesting thread, I just keep coming back to the money spent and what it could mean to other, more urgent needs, such as diabetes, HIV and others. Cancer may not be all that close to an end, but so many other issues seem to be getting really close to a cure, (from my limited knowledge).

My daughter has had diabetes since 9, so I'm a little biased, lol.

Interesting thread, I just keep coming back to the money spent and what it could mean to other, more urgent needs, such as diabetes, HIV and others. Cancer may not be all that close to an end, but so many other issues seem to be getting really close to a cure, (from my limited knowledge).

My daughter has had diabetes since 9, so I'm a little biased, lol.

On the flip side- at least the money isn't going into genetics to make the next super weapon, or to create the latest and greatest biological warfare bacterial strains

Sometimes ethics needs to kick in. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.
These animals became extinct for a reason.

Suppose CPR should never be used then... (just messing... tongue firmly in cheek)

On the flip side- at least the money isn't going into genetics to make the next super weapon, or to create the latest and greatest biological warfare bacterial strains

Thats a great point Gus, I just remember having a conversation many years ago with one of the leading Diabetes doctors in the country, (please don't ask me to spell his actual title, lol), who talked about the money stream and how people donated large sum's in the hope that money is ear tagged towards childhood diseases, yet gets spent on wasted studies and such like I think it was Smally posted a list the other day. Seems like a shame, there's some nasty stuff out there that needs a cure.

They have made huge leaps in diabetes over the years since my daughter first came down with it and even then I remember feeling so thankful that she didn't have many of the other more serious problems we saw first hand at Children's Mercy Hospital. Nothing can be worst than seeing a sick child, IMHO.

Thats a great point Gus

Hmmm. I am not so sure there. Rumor has it that Robert Gates is now considering a different technique/strategy for the war in Afghanistan. His strategy is based primarily on Hannibal's successful military campaign, whereby Hannibal marched an entire army on the backs of war elephants from Iberia, over the Pyrenees and the Alps, to conquer northern Italy. Now just imagine if Hannibal had used Wooly Mammoths instead of mere elephants. That is what Gates is envisioning. This strategy could simultaneously find Osama bin Laden in the mountains of the Tora Bora region and root out Taliban strongholds in various tribal regions.

Unless the mammoth clone turns out to be an indestructible beast bent on world destruction... :)

Serious question:

What is the reasoning behind doing this? What purpose does it serve other than allowing a group of scientists to play god? How is cloning an extinct wooly mammoth advancing the cause of modern man? What does it help?

It's certainly cool, but is it at all useful short or long term?

Hmmm. I am not so sure there. Rumor has it that Robert Gates is now considering a different technique/strategy for the war in Afghanistan. His strategy is based primarily on Hannibal's successful military campaign, whereby Hannibal marched an entire army on the backs of war elephants from Iberia, over the Pyrenees and the Alps, to conquer northern Italy. Now just imagine if Hannibal had used Wooly Mammoths instead of mere elephants. That is what Gates is envisioning. This strategy could simultaneously find Osama bin Laden in the mountains of the Tora Bora region and root out Taliban strongholds in various tribal regions.

I have no rep to give, but if I did you would surely be getting it!

I have no rep to give, but if I did you would surely be getting it!

Haha, but global warming would mess up his plan!

You just have to shave the mammoths, that's all. :)

There ya go, start a whole new industry, stimulate the economy. Before you know it sweatshops will be springing up in third world countries (Like Detroit) to knit mammoth wool into designer sweaters.

dang i got beat haha!

Merged with a thread on the same topic.

Back