Golf Bag Question...

og512

Reaction score
Handicap
I've noticed a lot of the cart bags have a 14-way divider at the top and then a seperate putter well...

since the limit is 14 clubs including the putter, why make an a extra slot that can't be used?

For an umbrella, ball retriever, alignment sticks (for practice)? Or for a practice round where you might want to carry a club to try? If you have a bag with 4 way or 6 way divider, you can carry extra equipment.

For transportation and storage. The separate putter well is handy mid round, but not usually for transportation.

For transportation and storage. The separate putter well is handy mid round, but not usually for transportation.

Its not? Im genuinely curious why that is the case?

+1 I move the putter into the bag for transportation as a large section of the putter shaft would not be protected.

+1 I move the putter into the bag for transportation as a large section of the putter shaft would not be protected.

Okay, now I am really curious. How would the putter well not protect just as much as the giant opening of a bag?

This also depends on how deep the putter well is. Mine is OK for storage/transportation, though I've seen some where a lot more of the putter will be exposed than on my bag.

The putter well is a must for people who have larger than normal grips on their putter. It can sometimes be tough to put larger grips into the dividers.

I'm pretty sure there is a bag with 2 exterior putter wells. It might be a Bag Boy. I would worry about the putter in the exterior well during transportation. I don't know how sturdy they are.

Depends on the bag, some putter wells are more protective than others. But in the bag, your putter is generally more secure for most golf bags
Okay, now I am really curious. How would the putter well not protect just as much as the giant opening of a bag?

Depends on the bag, some putter wells are more protective than others. But in the bag, your putter is generally more secure for most golf bags

And I guess that is what I am asking, why? What makes it more protected? I am genuinely curious.

In a golf bag that has a very large opening, clubs constantly moving around, grips hitting each other, shafts getting tangled, etc...
Or in its own well away from everything.

And further, if this truly is the case, should we all not be using Bag Boy Clip Lok systems or something just like it?

I'm pretty sure there is a bag with 2 exterior putter wells. It might be a Bag Boy. I would worry about the putter in the exterior well during transportation. I don't know how sturdy they are.

Yep, the Revolver has two of them I know, which one you use usually depends on which side of the cart your bag is on. I've seen MO move his from one to the other. Usually it's based on if we are playing at Shirkey (his course) or Falcon Lakes (my course). Not sure how well a large grip fits into that kind of putter holder, since it's not an actual putter well.

And I guess that is what I am asking, why? What makes it more protected? I am genuinely curious.

In a golf bag that has a very large opening, clubs constantly moving around, grips hitting each other, shafts getting tangled, etc...

And further, if this truly is the case, should we all not be using Bag Boy Clip Lok systems or something just like it?

I said it depends on the bag. Some wells leave half of the putter exposed. I wouldnt want that rolling around in my trunk. Being so close together with other clubs is better than on its own. Being inside the bag IMO would give it more protection with all of the layers than keeping it outside the bag in a putter well. All depends on the bag.

I said it depends on the bag. Some wells leave half of the putter exposed. I wouldnt want that rolling around in my trunk. Being so close together with other clubs is better than on its own. Being inside the bag IMO would give it more protection with all of the layers than keeping it outside the bag in a putter well. All depends on the bag.

Yeah I see the putter shaft being exposed part of it, and some bags, but I guess the first few comments did not sound that way to me or I took them wrong. There are quite a few putter wells that are full length or close to full length. And then they are kept separate away from tangles.

Not to put words into someone elses mouth but...
I think the point is that should something happen (the bag get crushed, dropped, banged around) that the full bag offers better support/protection than a well. It would very much depend on the size and construction of the well, where it was placed, and many other factors. It would also depend on how much of your shaft the well covers. I have seen wells that only cover 3/4 of the shaft which would obviously protect it less than being entirely enclosed.

I am assuming that for this argument we are ignoring the "clip on" method of putter access during a round where the entire shaft is exposed. This would seem like a liability in travel necessitating another internal divider for the putter.

Thats how I see it anyways, but I have been wrong before (and will certainly be wrong again)

The extra slot comes in handy for me when I'm testing clubs. Sometimes I wish there were 16-17 wells.

For me, I read the OP as referring to cart bags with 14 way dividers (and full length shaft dividers), not the traditional staff bag-like cart bag. If I had a 14 way divider cart bag with an outside putter well, I would use the putter well during the round and place the putter in one of the slots for transportation to and from the course.

I think Smallville had the best answer to the OP's original question...to carry umbrellas, tour stix, or extra clubs during practice rounds..

The extra slot comes in handy for me when I'm testing clubs. Sometimes I wish there were 16-17 wells.

I would like to have that problem. :act-up:

For me, I read the OP as referring to cart bags with 14 way dividers (and full length shaft dividers), not the traditional staff bag-like cart bag. If I had a 14 way divider cart bag with an outside putter well, I would use the putter well during the round and place the putter in one of the slots for transportation to and from the course.

I think Smallville had the best answer to the OP's original question...to carry umbrellas, tour stix, or extra clubs during practice rounds..

Thats how I read it as well.

Back