The Fat Free Golf Swing Training Aid - Unboxing

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This interesting training aid arrived at my door today. It's called the Fat Free Golf Swing Training Aid. It appears to be a tool to help golfers eliminate fat shots and improve contact in general. It also comes with a regulation size putting aid (bottom pic). I will get started with these soon and let you know my thoughts.

There is some good info on the website - http://www.thefatfreegolfswingtrainer.com/ and they have a Facebook page.

Here are a few pics.

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00278.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

Interesting looking training aid. I used to really catch a lot of shots FAT and it just killed me. Have fun with the review, I look forward to your thoughts.

• Staff
Interesting looking training aid. I used to really catch a lot of shots FAT and it just killed me. Have fun with the review, I look forward to your thoughts.

It's pretty good timing with this one. I have struggled a bit with the fatties and I have been working on getting rid of them. Coincidently, this is designed to help with the same drill/technique that I've been using.

it looks like it would be easy to break, is it made out of hard plastic?

• Staff
It seems to be a plastic material. It will certainly take a beating since the goal is to hit it where the penny lies. Time will tell now durable it ends up being.

it looks like it would be easy to break, is it made out of hard plastic?

Great, can't wait to hear what you think about this Hawk. That could be my single worst transgression with an iron in hand.

Very interesting looking product, cant wait to hear your reviews

i don't get it. so, it seems to me that it's similar to hitting off the material like a lie board.

Fat free huh, sounds like something my gf might be into. haha

i don't get it. so, it seems to me that it's similar to hitting off the material like a lie board.

The second pic shows the way you would set it up for a left-handed player. The ball goes in the center, and then a penny goes in the slot closer to the target. The green line should be aiming down the target line. The point is to use the penny as an aim-point to get the swing bottoming out ahead of the ball.

The second pic shows the way you would set it up for a left-handed player. The ball goes in the center, and then a penny goes in the slot closer to the target. The green line should be aiming down the target line. The point is to use the penny as an aim-point to get the swing bottoming out ahead of the ball.

so the penny goes in front of the ball (whether you're LH or RH), then the idea is to hit at the penny? obviously taking ball first.

so the penny goes in front of the ball (whether you're LH or RH), then the idea is to hit at the penny? obviously taking ball first.

Exactly. You can also put the "arms" towards the target line and try to get a divot ahead of the device. I played around with it chipping this morning and I have a ways to go with getting my swing bottom forward of the ball. When I did it correctly the ball really reacted well.

Exactly. You can also put the "arms" towards the target line and try to get a divot ahead of the device. I played around with it chipping this morning and I have a ways to go with getting my swing bottom forward of the ball. When I did it correctly the ball really reacted well.

that is interesting! use the penny for a while to get use to it and when you've graduated to brown belt, flip it around and take actual divots. genius!

you are correct TC-san! lol

interesting device Hawk, looking forward to your thoughts on this
that is interesting! use the penny for a while to get use to it and when you've graduated to brown belt, flip it around and take actual divots. genius!

Used this pretty extensively at the range today as well. One thing that I noticed is that my opinion of it is very different when it comes to chipping vs full swings.

First post.

Can't believe I'm so late finding this thread. I am one of the creators of the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer. I'm revealing this up-front, so don't beat me up! I'm a real golfer and I value your unbiased opinions on our product.

On a personal note, my goal wasn't to invent this, I just wanted to become a better ball striker. I read - The Impact Zone - by Bobby Clampett, I ordered the - Hit Down Dammit DVD series by Clive Scarff, I also have a Tour Striker Pro club & wedge. I use Birdie Balls when I practice in the park. The prototype of the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer definitely improved my ball striking, golf ball compression and alignment, so we decided to try and help others.

At address, the alignment stripe looks (to me) like it's pointing to the left of my target. This explained why I hit everything to the right. It was a good swing, but bad alignment on my part. Just fixing my alignment probably saved me 8 strokes. Proper ball striking kept my golf ball in play which eliminated penalty strokes. Hitting the ball a fairly consistent distance with each iron added to more greens in regulation. Before I knew it, I had dropped nearly 20+ strokes. My main problem now is that I find myself marketing the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer more than I play golf.

For all of our customers, I remind them of something Martin Hall & Bobby Clampett both emphasize and that's starting with the small swings. Martin Hall's last Golf Channel appearance, he wrote - "If you can't do it in a small swing, you won't do it in a full swing." This is why we suggest spending a week or two chipping and pitching with the forward aiming point.

If you have any of the other products I mentioned, feel free to try them together. The Tour Striker showed me the results of my swings. It was my prototype of the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer that taught me how to swing the Tour Striker properly. I don't want to go into "salesman" mode. I just hope it helps others the way it helped me. On our website, we have a Recommended Items section. It's not an affiliate program, just products we really own, use & believe in. We really do want to help people become better golfers.

Next up, I will be reaching out to see if I can grab some quotes from this review thread for our website. :D

Thanks and feel free to send me any questions or comments. It's a pleasure to finally stop ghosting around here!

I am very interested in trying this product. I am cursed with the chunky monkey from time to time and I do everything from moving the ball back in my stance to screaming obscenities at the golf ball. I have the tour striker which really helps teaching the forward lean of your shaft and have ordered the "Hit down damn it" dvd set. Hawk, I will be looking forward to your review on this product. If you need a second opinion on this product after your testing, feel free to send it to me for further review. Fat Free Golfer, if you want someone in the sunny south to give it a test spin, you can also send one to Georgia :D . Thanks for developing a product to help us chunky monkey's get back on the slim jim side of golf! :golf2:

Ditto. I saw how this one worked and its quite interesting. Heck, I would put a Silver Dollar in front of my ball if I thought it wold guarantee a compressed shot.

Ironically, I was reading The Impact Zone at the time that I received this. Still need a bit more time with this one before the review goes up, but it shouldn't be too long.

Ironically, I was reading The Impact Zone at the time that I received this. Still need a bit more time with this one before the review goes up, but it shouldn't be too long.
Looking forward to the review Hawk, they have a 10% discount on their website right now, but I would rather hear from a THP user first before pulling the trigger, even at the chance of losing the 10% discount. Like most here, I don't mind paying full price for a product that works but have bought many swing training devices that was money wasted and am now very hesitant to purchase anything without a meaningful recommendation.

I'm also waiting for Hawk's review.. :D .. I'm sorry I haven't checked in often. I redesigned a few pages on the website and I'm also a full time parent to a 1 year old, I take care of my elderly mother and a full time college student and I telecommute work projects and duties for the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer. Long story short, my life is constantly hectic.

I can't comment on the reviewer's game, but I do want to emphasize that we promote a small to big swing training approach. It's just like The Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett suggests starting with putting, chipping, pitching, 3/4, and finally full swing. We have a video of Martin Hall on our website under the - 30 Day Golf Program - where Martin Hall says - "If you can't do it in a small swing, you won't do it in a full swing."

I'm exhausted.. and probably rambling.. sorry guys... Feel free to pass it around if you can live without it... You know what they say about one man's golf training aid trash is another man's treasure. :D

I'm going to squeeze in a nap while my son is sleep.

Take care everyone.. hit 'em long & straight...

I am also interested in Hawk's review. I'm interested to see what this would do after practicing with it then playing in wet, mucky bermuda. Playing in that stuff and your are going to eat some Hormel's.

well hawk any news on this

Back