Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Keep at it dmb! perhaps your grip may need tweaking with this club? sounds like the club may be racing through and causing the hooks
I went out yesterday and walked nine holes with one of my buddies yesterday. I only used the Mashie once during the nine holes and I hooked the ball dead left in to the OB. I dropped another and put it right on the green from 200 yds out. After hitting the hook dead left, I was pretty frustrated about my performance with the Mashie.

I decided to head to the range today, to dedicate a whole range session to it. I planned on hitting a large bucket of balls after work and it went like this. When I started hitting the first of the bucket, I had the problems as the day before. They weren’t as bad though. It was more like a 20 yd draw rather than a hook. After about 5 balls of doing that, I took a moment and made sure I was swinging with a good tempo. I then hit a few balls with a smooth back and smooth forward swing. The results were a lot better. It went dead straight about 200 yds out. This was the result I have been searching for the past week. My confidence has started to dwindle due to the hooks I have been hitting. It felt so good! I then continued hitting the rest of the bucket more consistently. I did have a few hard draws, but no hooks. I think most of those came, because I was trying to get more distance out of it and lost my tempo. Towards the end of the bucket I really started to get that Mashie confidence back again. I plan on going out again tomorrow or the next day to verify these results I was getting.

I do notice one thing with the Mashie compared to my irons. I don’t get as much of a divot with the Mashie as my irons. Do the other testers get these results or am I not hitting down on the ball, as I should? Let me know what you think.

This is a great thought. Lets take a look at one of the THP Demo Day participants Ole Gray last year. He has ALWAYS played heavier clubs and even had his current Cobra driver made heavier I believe. Did not think he could hit a lighter shaft and then at the demo day fell in love with it. So much so that when he won a Miyazaki shaft on THP, he went with their lightest. I have tried it in the 59 and 83 and I preferred the 59 myself in results. It took 3-5 swings to be used to it and then it was just perfect for me.

I think before people order anything, they owe it to themselves to try the 59 out and see if it works.

I have a bit of experience with the Miyazaki 39 gram shaft that I won during the Christmas contest thread. No doubt it is a great shaft. I am looking very much forward to trying the 15.5 degree Mashie with the 59 gram shaft. I would never have thought a club with a light weight shaft would hold a spot in my bag. Well come this spring it will happen.

Great reads from all the reviewers here and Cleveland Golf has a super hot product on their hands :thumb:

Seems like I may have to get one of these, you guys make it sound so awesome which Im sure it is! I wish your mashing well lol

Keep at it dmb! perhaps your grip may need tweaking with this club? sounds like the club may be racing through and causing the hooks

I will try that next time I go out and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

I went out yesterday and walked nine holes with one of my buddies yesterday. I only used the Mashie once during the nine holes and I hooked the ball dead left in to the OB. I dropped another and put it right on the green from 200 yds out. After hitting the hook dead left, I was pretty frustrated about my performance with the Mashie.

I decided to head to the range today, to dedicate a whole range session to it. I planned on hitting a large bucket of balls after work and it went like this. When I started hitting the first of the bucket, I had the problems as the day before. They weren’t as bad though. It was more like a 20 yd draw rather than a hook. After about 5 balls of doing that, I took a moment and made sure I was swinging with a good tempo. I then hit a few balls with a smooth back and smooth forward swing. The results were a lot better. It went dead straight about 200 yds out. This was the result I have been searching for the past week. My confidence has started to dwindle due to the hooks I have been hitting. It felt so good! I then continued hitting the rest of the bucket more consistently. I did have a few hard draws, but no hooks. I think most of those came, because I was trying to get more distance out of it and lost my tempo. Towards the end of the bucket I really started to get that Mashie confidence back again. I plan on going out again tomorrow or the next day to verify these results I was getting.

I do notice one thing with the Mashie compared to my irons. I don’t get as much of a divot with the Mashie as my irons. Do the other testers get these results or am I not hitting down on the ball, as I should? Let me know what you think.

I got my mashie 2 weeks ago. I have a smooth swing (sweeper style).
My mishit with my "older" hybrids is a slice. I use heavier shafts (70 gr. - 3/5 wood, 76 gr. - hybrids ).
With the very light Mashie I got 20% big hooks. Never saw something like that before..-).

I changed the grip from 36 gr. to 55 gr. After changing the grip, the Mashie 23* has the same weight as my Fybrid with BiMatrix shaft.
With the new grip (and +20 gr. weight) I get with the Mashie a high and very straight flight

So, you should think about changing the grip (?).

Alright going to go to the range hopefully today if it warms up a little here in the next couple hours. Also have a little lead tape Im going to experiment with to see if it helps me get rid of some of the big draws and hooks. Should be interesting, come on weather, warm up!

Patiently waits for Bridges to decide to sell his mashie

I have a question on pricing.
If this club is considered an '11 model, is it going to be replaced for the '12 model year? As in: If I wait till about July or August to buy, will I get it for $50-$75 less, or is it going to hold its price?

I have a question on pricing.
If this club is considered an '11 model, is it going to be replaced for the '12 model year? As in: If I wait till about July or August to buy, will I get it for $50-$75 less, or is it going to hold its price?

Cleveland is a once a year release company for the most part like a few others. Some companies release products at multiple times each year and it means fast price drops and "outdated" products. I dont see a price drop in this until they are closer to the end of 2011 and the 2012 products are announced.

Cleveland is a once a year release company for the most part like a few others. Some companies release products at multiple times each year and it means fast price drops and "outdated" products. I dont see a price drop in this until they are closer to the end of 2011 and the 2012 products are announced.

Thanks, I guess now I have to decide if paying the extra money this season is worth it compared to waiting... although they will just announce something better in the fall that will get all the juices flowing again. Isn't consumer marketing a horrible thing? hah

Thanks, I guess now I have to decide if paying the extra money this season is worth it compared to waiting... although they will just announce something better in the fall that will get all the juices flowing again. Isn't consumer marketing a horrible thing? hah

What's the point in waiting? Use it, love it and if you want a new one sell the mashie and put it towards the next one. Then you practically rented a hybrid for the year for less than 1$ a round, and you get a shiny new one at the end of the year. (depending on how many rounds you play obv.)

Would you pay 1$ extra per round to enjoy your round more and probably play better?

From the iPhone.

They really dont announce in the fall. This year they did because of the THP Demo Day last fall and THP'ers got a chance to try new gear out 6 months early. But in reality it is like anything else, if you are a fan of Cleveland, or others like them, each Spring they release new products.

What's the point in waiting? Use it, love it and if you want a new one sell the mashie and put it towards the next one. Then you practically rented a hybrid for the year for less than 1$ a round, and you get a shiny new one at the end of the year. (depending on how many rounds you play obv.)

Would you pay 1$ extra per round to enjoy your round more and probably play better?

From the iPhone.

You should sell golf clubs! Really interesting way to think about a golf club.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THE MASHIE, AGAIN!!! What a great day I had on the course with the Mashie. I would not say that I had a great day with my other clubs, but I had an awesome day with the Mashie. The Mashie dominated any shot I had that was from 185 to 215. It was so great! I was hitting them with the long, straight and penetrating flight I lost for over a week. I took to the advice and weakened my grip up a little bit. That did the trick. Every shot I had today was just right now. The Mashie even gave me a 25 ft eagle putt. (I didn’t make it.) I truly need to start taking more shots with the Mashie. I even had a beautiful shot with it off the tee, on a long narrow hole. It set me up for a nice 8 iron in to the hole. I can’t wait to use it next weekend, when I head to Pinehurst for a golf trip.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THE MASHIE, AGAIN!!! What a great day I had on the course with the Mashie. I would not say that I had a great day with my other clubs, but I had an awesome day with the Mashie. The Mashie dominated any shot I had that was from 185 to 215. It was so great! I was hitting them with the long, straight and penetrating flight I lost for over a week. I took to the advice and weakened my grip up a little bit. That did the trick. Every shot I had today was just right now. The Mashie even gave me a 25 ft eagle putt. (I didn’t make it.) I truly need to start taking more shots with the Mashie. I even had a beautiful shot with it off the tee, on a long narrow hole. It set me up for a nice 8 iron in to the hole. I can’t wait to use it next weekend, when I head to Pinehurst for a golf trip.

Dude, this is a great post. I can feel the excitement and I am extremely jealous that you get yours out on the course right now. I hope these recent findings spill over into your trip this weekend. I'm sure some of the guys going on your trip with you will be asking you tons of questions about the Mashie.

I think I will be getting on the course at the end of the week, if the weather permits and I must say, I'm excited about pulling the Mashie out of the bag again!!

Dude, this is a great post. I can feel the excitement and I am extremely jealous that you get yours out on the course right now. I hope these recent findings spill over into your trip this weekend. I'm sure some of the guys going on your trip with you will be asking you tons of questions about the Mashie.

I think I will be getting on the course at the end of the week, if the weather permits and I must say, I'm excited about pulling the Mashie out of the bag again!!

Thanks man! I really did have a "Mashie" day. I should have just played 9 irons off of the tees, so I could use the Mashie into the greens. HAHA I hope you get out this weekend. I am going to be using the Mashie a lot. We are playing 72 holes over the weekend on two of the Golf Digest toughest courses. (Tot Hill and Tobacco Road) I know the Mashie will put me out there and straight ever time.

Thanks man! I really did have a "Mashie" day. I should have just played 9 irons off of the tees, so I could use the Mashie into the greens. HAHA I hope you get out this weekend. I am going to be using the Mashie a lot. We are playing 72 holes over the weekend on two of the Golf Digest toughest courses. (Tot Hill and Tobacco Road) I know the Mashie will put me out there and straight ever time.

can't wait to hear out it performs on those courses

Went out Saturday for some range time with the mashie and it ended quickly. Weather would not corporate. Thought I could beat the small storm but the wind blowing 20+mph in my face plus 40* degree temps made it impossible for me to get comfortable and even try to hit a few good shots. So I told the guy id be back tomorrow to finish my bucket and play 9 and he said no problem I dont blame you. The reason I didnt attempt to try and hit through the wind was because I have been struggling with the mashie a lot lately and im trying to build confidence so thought it would be better If I just waited for the next day with better weather.

Sunday- Went to the range, had a small bucket. Temp in mid 40s with no wind and sunny. Warmed up and started with the mashie, hit about 20-25 shots with it. It was a lot better day than what I had been seeing, so I was happy to just see some good shots rather than hooks and the big draws. Still not in the bag worthy, but a lot better improvement. I had about half good/half bad shots. Every one of my bad shots were all the dreaded hook or big draw I have been seeing. Just cant seem to shake it just yet with the mashie. Headed off to the first tee and ended up hitting 5 shots with the mashie on the 9 holes I played. 3 off the tee and 2 out of the rough.

2 out of 3 off the tee were great, long high penetrating ball flight right down the middle of the fairway (Cant remember exact distances, I forgot to write them down, but it was in the 210-220 range). Other was a massive draw that landed in the rough, still playable which was an improvement from in the woods last time. 2 out of the rough were good and bad. Had a terrible lie that I decided to choke down a little on to get some more control and it worked out nicely got the ball out, wasnt a high ball flight more low/mid but it was a rocket that just hit a rolled a good ways. It was just a beast going through the rough. The other was not so good. Had a good lie and 215 to the hole, caught it clean then watched it land on the edge of the pond and bounce in. Started out perfect then the big swooping draw came in and off it went. Frustrating to say the least.

Today- Went out to the range to try and just hammer out the kinks Im having with the mashie and get 5 holes in before I had to leave to help out a buddy. Started off terrible on the range, first 10 were all hooks or big draws. Moved the ball up a tad more and got a little closer to the ball, some minor improvement. Had about 5/10 good shots. Tried some different things andy (THP PRO) mentioned and started seeing some pretty good shots fly but could never get no more than 2 in a row to go good without hooking or the big draw. I hit a few iron shots to see if I was having any problems there and they were all perfect besides the few mental errors I had of topping a few. Grabbed the mashie for the last 20 or so balls and just tried to calm down and not put so much pressure on myself. Had some good results, still not great but getting better and got a little confidence going in to the 1st tee.

Decided to tee off with the mashie on every hole that I could before I had to leave and used it 4 times off the tee, 2 out of the rough and 1 punch shot. 2 of the 4 were great shots left me nicely for a 8 iron both times. Other 2 were not so good. Both were big draws, that ended up on the edge of the wood and another under a tree, used the mashie to punch it out and it was beautiful. Moved it back in my stance, finished with a low follow through and it just took off, left me about 40 yards out. I caught the first one out of the rough on the toe but managed to keep it straight and had very good distance considering it came off the toe and out of the rough. Its a heck of a club out of the rough. The other out of the rough was a poor shot that I caught a little fat, got it out on the fairway but it could have been in a lot better shape if I would have caught it good. Woulda, coulda, shoulda though. lol

The grip is holding up very good as well as the headcover to. I see no reason why anyone will have any problems with either. But I know some out there just like there own grips they have played so Im thinking about switching out the grip just for testing purposes since some of you might be curious about that. Going to try and do that here in the next couple of weeks.

I saw some improvement from last time which is a good sign but still not worthy of being in the bag for good. Hopefully I continue to make some small improvements with it and eventually get to were it will be in the bag for good.

Definitely sounds like its getting better Bridges.

DMB can't wait to see how it goes on those courses for you!!!

I took the Mashie to the simulator today. May have been too much to hit the course today after a long Sunday. Boy did the Mashie change my mood. The simulator is decently accurate at Crosswoods and we played some course in South Carolina. Oceans something lol. Anyway, used the Mashie on a number of shots. The hardest thing about the simulator is you really don't get a variety of lies. The mats and different "lies" do give a different feel to the shots but it's definitely not like being on the course. I absolutely nailed shots with the Mashie today. I maybe had two mishits and they were still money. The distances were insane today with the M3. I had a lot of control and 5/8 shots were straigh bullets. I had a little draw with the other 3 but they were hit off the toe area. The Mashie really helped me get into a groove with my other clubs. I did try and choke down on the club but wasn't incredibly successful. I'm thinking a range session is needed for that kind of work. I'm really torn with deciding what loft to get. lol. All I know is I really love this club. Hitting a solid shot and the feel of the club is unmatched imo. I was hitting the club further than I've ever hit it before (sim distances). I can't wait to get this club outside again. Should be sometime soon. I'm loving golf and this club has really given me a lot of confidence.

sounds like you are making some progress Bridges. Keep us updated

Yoccos, what lofts are you considering? What is your thought process there?

To go along with the M3 I'm debating the M1 and M4. Which are 15.5 and 23.5(I'm almost 100% thats the loft). If I got 23.5 I think I can remove my 4i and possibly even my 5i.

How I look at it is I go purely by distance gaps. The 20.5 is a 3i for me in loft but in reality the distance is more like a 2i. 210-215 is becoming my go to distance. With the 23.5 I'm not sure where the distance would fall. That is really the only thing keeping me from definitely going with it. I'm not sure how well the loft of the M4 would fit my gaps with my longer irons.

THe 15.5 would be a 3w replacement. I definitely want to hit it first to see my distances and compare with my current 3w. The 3w I'm gaming may not be the longest but I have a lot of love for it. The Mashie is just so much easier to hit and having a 3w distance with the ease of a Mashie would be phenominal off the tee. I could see losing a few strokes just by that.

I really have a lot of thoughts running through my mind lol. THe distances are just the only thing keeping me from buying my next Mashie or two. I just need to see where the gaps are and if they will work. I'm loving the 20.5 and think it was the best decision I've made regarding my bag set up, EVER.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. Have you had a chance to hit the M2? I have ordered the M3 and like the idea a lot of the M2, but wonder if I would be giving up a lot of forgiveness in exchange for the added distance.

Back