5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

Sounds like everyone here is doing awesome with their goals. Is anyone else noticing a difference in their golf distances? I played today for the first time since the end of Nov. and noticed a HUGE difference from what I was used to seeing distance wise last season. My swing was a little rusty so it took me a few holes to get comfortable with my irons and woods, but I hit the longest drive that I've ever hit (measured by GPS at least) and was hitting my irons much farther than normal.

I can see that distance gain being both a positive and a negative thing. I hit a 9 iron 160'ish on a par 3, which was a good thing. However, it was only 140 to the front of the green and 155 to the back, which was a bad thing haha.

Now that I think about it, yes and it makes sense because I'm more flexible and can get a better turn than I used to be able to generate.

The other thing that I've struggled with as I've been losing weight has been my swing has been a bit of a mess because when I got serious about golf I had a "spare tire" around my upper middle, forcing me to put my hands further away from my body. Now that the upper spare tire is gone, I'm having to work on keeping my hands closer to my body and getting better downward strike on the ball. My instructor told me that for a while my swing will be a mess but eventually, it will be a better swing because I'm more in plane now. All I can say, is that it better ;-)

OH and is anyone else who's losing weight FREEZING now? I'm cold all the time.... Not that I mind!

Just finished a session of yoga at home using a DVD called "Yoga for Beginners". I started using this a few months ago and when I started using it, I could only do about 3 of 20 different poses. I now can do 19 of the 20 poses (still can't do one arm plank, but I may never be able to do that one!) AND I noticed how flexible I've become. I would really recommend this DVD ( http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Beginners-Barbara-Benagh/dp/B000H8RVSO/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296679294&sr=1-9 ) to anyone here for not only the flexibility that it has helped my golf game but it has made a big impact on the way my body looks.

One final thing, that made me really excited today, I broke through another "decade" on the scale!! I stepped on this morning and I had a goal to see the next 10 down and I'm there by 1.5lbs!! That means I'm down 52lbs. I haven't been this thin in three years. I am so psyched to start shopping for new clothes.

I cannot even put into words how excited I am for you! You are truly an inspiration to us all! I admire you so much for what you have accomplished, the way in which you did it and just your attitude in general.

I also want to thank you for the DVD recommendation. I have been saying for a while that I need to start doing my yoga DVD and you talking about it is going to make me do it. Plus I have wanted to try some others so I will be picking this up tomorrow.

You truly inspire me!

Just had my final weight in on my fat loss phase. Went from a high of 207 in July to 170 today. My bfat % has gone from 22% down to 9.4% as of today and I went from 38" waist to 32.5". New pants are in order for sure.

I don't want to be any lighter so I'm going to do 8 weeks of muscle building before another 8 weeks of fat loss before summer gets here. My next goal is to be 175-180lbs with my bfat around 7%, so I'll keep checking in with progress.

I won't mind summer time pool parties this year!

Just had my final weight in on my fat loss phase. Went from a high of 207 in July to 170 today. My bfat % has gone from 22% down to 9.4% as of today and I went from 38" waist to 32.5". New pants are in order for sure.

I don't want to be any lighter so I'm going to do 8 weeks of muscle building before another 8 weeks of fat loss before summer gets here. My next goal is to be 175-180lbs with my bfat around 7%, so I'll keep checking in with progress.

way to go! Awesome progress

Great job man! That's definitely an inspiring post.

wow man! I have been inspired!

very nice, what did you find worked the best for you to lose the weight

great job! I'm still having trouble getting myself off the couch and in to work out mode.

So I haven't posted in here lately because I was away last week for the PGA Show and during that time I was way off the wagon. I definitely had some set backs and I can feel and see the results of that but I am officially back to the gym and back on track.

I made it to the gym on Monday and was only able to run 3 miles because I was not in the best of shape from my week off plus I was still exhausted from the previous week. But I ran and I had a session with my trainer. Then Tuesday I didn't go to the gym but I did play 18 with Josh. It was good I took the day off because my legs were so sore from Monday's workout. I made it to the gym yesterday and ran 5 miles!!!! Plus I had a session with my trainer and was able to do 10 'guy' pushups before having to go back to the girly ones. That's pretty impressive for me because I have NO upper body strength. I also went to the gym today and ran for another 5 miles!!! Those back to back days of 5 miles was not easy and I felt like I was going to die at the end but I am so glad I did it. My clothes were soaking wet from sweating and it felt great!

I need to do some stretching and some abs today as well and then I will be back at the gym tomorrow for more cardio and strength training. I don't have a session with my trainer but he has a workout prepared for me so I can do it on my own. I am planning to step up my work out routine to 5 days of cardio and 4 days of weights, maybe even 5 days of weights. It's crunch time for me now since the outing is only 3 1/2 months away.

So I haven't posted in here lately because I was away last week for the PGA Show and during that time I was way off the wagon. I definitely had some set backs and I can feel and see the results of that but I am officially back to the gym and back on track.

I made it to the gym on Monday and was only able to run 3 miles because I was not in the best of shape from my week off plus I was still exhausted from the previous week. But I ran and I had a session with my trainer. Then Tuesday I didn't go to the gym but I did play 18 with Josh. It was good I took the day off because my legs were so sore from Monday's workout. I made it to the gym yesterday and ran 5 miles!!!! Plus I had a session with my trainer and was able to do 10 'guy' pushups before having to go back to the girly ones. That's pretty impressive for me because I have NO upper body strength. I also went to the gym today and ran for another 5 miles!!! Those back to back days of 5 miles was not easy and I felt like I was going to die at the end but I am so glad I did it. My clothes were soaking wet from sweating and it felt great!

I need to do some stretching and some abs today as well and then I will be back at the gym tomorrow for more cardio and strength training. I don't have a session with my trainer but he has a workout prepared for me so I can do it on my own. I am planning to step up my work out routine to 5 days of cardio and 4 days of weights, maybe even 5 days of weights. It's crunch time for me now since the outing is only 3 1/2 months away.

damn GG, I have not ran 10 miles in 10 years, much less 2 days. thats pretty impressive. I think a week like the PGA show helped get you out of the week to week routine, which I think we need. Good Job morgan!

damn GG, I have not ran 10 miles in 10 years, much less 2 days. thats pretty impressive. I think a week like the PGA show helped get you out of the week to week routine, which I think we need. Good Job morgan!

Thanks! It was not easy I can tell you that. I thought I was going to die at the end but I just kept pushing through it because I was determined to hit the 5 mile mark. Yesterday I broke it up by doing 2 1/2 miles, then I met with my trainer, then after I did that I went back and ran another 2 1/2 miles. Today it was 5 miles with no break and it was tough! I just know that I need to step up my workout routine or I am never going to reach my goals by the outing.

I also really need to get my eating under control. Cookies and cake are my nemesis.

I gotta say, GG is looking fantastic! I can see a difference from the last time I saw her and when I hung out with them at the PGA show.

Now you INSPIRE me! I can't tell you how proud and excited I am for you to be running 10 miles in two days and doing 10 guy pushups. I can't do 10 guy pushups. You are going to be so fit and trim when we see you in May. Way to go GG!

Last edited:
Now you INSPIRE me! I can't tell you how proud and excited I am for you to be running 10 miles in two days and doing 10 guy pickups. I can't do 10 guy pushups. You are going to be so fit and trim when we see you in May. Way to go GG!

:rofl: - Mary get your mind out of the gutter

GG you inspire me too! I'm going to the gym in a little while and I'm going to work harder than ever! You're going to be in the best shape ever!

:rofl: - Mary get your mind out of the gutter

GG you inspire me too! I'm going to the gym in a little while and I'm going to work harder than ever! You're going to be in the best shape ever!

Hey, considering who she is working out with...

OK, I corrected it and maybe I was thinking of doing 10 guy pick-ups :zdance:

Hey, considering who she is working out with...

OK, I corrected it and maybe I was thinking of doing 10 guy pick-ups :zdance:

Woohoo Mary!!!

Well I let a really buff guy ride home with me from the gym today! I like this man pick-up exercise you gals taught me. :act-up:

I'm excited to inform everyone that I made 20 minutes on the elliptical today in addition to my weight routine. I actually broke out in a little sweat. Gray works so hard that he has sweat pouring off him. You can barely see it on me. Haha...guess that tells the difference in our workout.

I talked to the owner of the gym today. She highly recommended that I start taking Pilates. She is the same height as me and is solid as a rock. She told me she weighs 160 and I couldn't believe it. She wears size 4-6 clothes! She said she used to weigh 168 and wore a size 14 before getting serious with fitness. She lost 4" in her waist doing Pilates. One thing she made me understand was that the weight isn't nearly as important as the fitness. I don't mind my weight so much, I just mind the belly fat. I'm seriously considering taking her up on the Pilates thing and going to a class to see if it's something I can do. It's a very small class so maybe I won't be too embarrassed if I can't do much.

Well I let a really buff guy ride home with me from the gym today! I like this man pick-up exercise you gals taught me. :act-up:

I'm excited to inform everyone that I made 20 minutes on the elliptical today in addition to my weight routine. I actually broke out in a little sweat. Gray works so hard that he has sweat pouring off him. You can barely see it on me. Haha...guess that tells the difference in our workout.

I talked to the owner of the gym today. She highly recommended that I start taking Pilates. She is the same height as me and is solid as a rock. She told me she weighs 160 and I couldn't believe it. She wears size 4-6 clothes! She said she used to weigh 168 and wore a size 14 before getting serious with fitness. She lost 4" in her waist doing Pilates. One thing she made me understand was that the weight isn't nearly as important as the fitness. I don't mind my weight so much, I just mind the belly. I'm seriously considering taking her up on the Pilates thing and going to a class to see if it's something I can do. It's a very small class so maybe I won't be too embarrassed if I can't do much.

Pilates and yoga are amazing for your body and I bet you will feel great once you start getting into it. I actually think it's really good that it's such a small class because I bet you can get some more one-on-one attention to make sure you are in proper form. I am excited to hear what you think of the class.

Congrats on 20 minutes with the Elliptical. It's always such a great feeling when you conquer a machine that you normally hate.

I think everyone sweats differently. I know that when I am done running there isn't a dry spot on me. It's actually kind of embarrassing because when I am doing my workouts with my trainer I am dripping sweat everywhere. But then I see other people who are running longer and faster than me and they are totally dry. So don't worry about it I am sure your workout is just as good and intense as Gray's. :smile:

I talked to the owner of the gym today. She highly recommended that I start taking Pilates. She is the same height as me and is solid as a rock. She told me she weighs 160 and I couldn't believe it. She wears size 4-6 clothes! She said she used to weigh 168 and wore a size 14 before getting serious with fitness. She lost 4" in her waist doing Pilates. One thing she made me understand was that the weight isn't nearly as important as the fitness. I don't mind my weight so much, I just mind the belly fat. I'm seriously considering taking her up on the Pilates thing and going to a class to see if it's something I can do. It's a very small class so maybe I won't be too embarrassed if I can't do much.

Very well said KellyBo!! :good: And be careful letting those fit guys from the gym ride home with you!! :D

Thanks! It was not easy I can tell you that. I thought I was going to die at the end but I just kept pushing through it because I was determined to hit the 5 mile mark. Yesterday I broke it up by doing 2 1/2 miles, then I met with my trainer, then after I did that I went back and ran another 2 1/2 miles. Today it was 5 miles with no break and it was tough! I just know that I need to step up my workout routine or I am never going to reach my goals by the outing.

I also really need to get my eating under control. Cookies and cake are my nemesis.

Lord Have Mercy! You are the Queen of exercise and really are setting the bar high. I have nothing but admiration for you and your dedication to succeed is awesome :thumb: The way I look at this is when you work that hard you are building muscle and your body will become firmer and actually look smaller. Kelly and I were leaving the gym today and the owner was at the front door so we stopped to chat for a bit. She told us how much weight she had lost and what she currently weighed and it was amazing. She looked so fit and trim but had not really loss that much! One more thing. It's ok to treat yourself with a reward now & then. You certainly earn it with your excellent fitness routine. I am proud of you to say the least :clapp:

Lord Have Mercy! You are the Queen of exercise and really are setting the bar high. I have nothing but admiration for you and your dedication to succeed is awesome :thumb: The way I look at this is when you work that hard you are building muscle and your body will become firmer and actually look smaller. Kelly and I were leaving the gym today and the owner was at the front door so we stopped to chat for a bit. She told us how much weight she had lost and what she currently weighed and it was amazing. She looked so fit and trim but had not really loss that much! One more thing. It's ok to treat yourself with a reward now & then. You certainly earn it with your excellent fitness routine. I am proud of you to say the least :clapp:

Thanks Gray! I am not neurotic about eating or anything but I will get down on myself every now and then if I really fall off the wagon. Because when I fall I fall hard! I have a weakness for sweets and sometimes no matter how hard I try to fight it I just have to give in. The other day I ate a yo-yo which is a chocolate chip cookie and frosting sandwich. It's beyond sweet but amazing and I just couldn't resist. But I am not mad about eating it because it was worth every bite.

That sounds epic. I woulda done the same! You're doing so much work though so a little cheating can be a good thing.

I've had a rough week at work and we only hit the gym once, went for a really good run the other night and Yoga was canceled yesterday! Not a good week but im at 244. Weight in day is tomorrow, it's not much but going in the right direction.

Thanks Gray! I am not neurotic about eating or anything but I will get down on myself every now and then if I really fall off the wagon. Because when I fall I fall hard! I have a weakness for sweets and sometimes no matter how hard I try to fight it I just have to give in. The other day I ate a yo-yo which is a chocolate chip cookie and frosting sandwich. It's beyond sweet but amazing and I just couldn't resist. But I am not mad about eating it because it was worth every bite.

so, I have been doing my workouts and running, just not really posting updates in here but I have recently been adding some golf workouts in and I hope it will help with my swing and all that range time I will have in WPB along with lots of golf

so, I have been doing my workouts and running, just not really posting updates in here but I have recently been adding some golf workouts in and I hope it will help with my swing and all that range time I will have in WPB along with lots of golf

Jarret -- You already look in great shape buddy! I bet you will be walking into the WPB Resort with some cool sunglasses :cool: & a little swagger that says, "Get ya some of this" :D:golf2:...

Back