Tommy "2 Gloves" Gainey on Hole 17 today

Tbox

...By Height.
Reaction score
Handicap
Did anyone watch the end today? Gainey hit his drive on 17 in the water. He was on the slope to the left of the green. He ended up having to place the ball since it rolled into the hazard twice. The rules official came over and finally found a place that the ball wouldn't roll into the water. The problem was his stance was inside the red line of the hazard. My question is: when you take relief from a hazard, don't you have to take complete relief? Wasn't that in violation of the rules for that placement? And if so, was it Gainey's problem or is the rules official to blame?

I may be wrong, usually am, but the ball must be in the proper place, I dont think the stance is an issue. I'm thinking I heard them say something to that extent.

The hazard was marked with a red line indicating a lateral hazard. Since this is a lateral hazard he may invoke the option of dropping within two club lengths of where the ball entered the hazard, no nearer the hole.

There is no requirement for "complete relief" in this situation. Only that the ball be within two club lengths of the point of crossing, no nearer the hole.

Thanks for the info. That could actually be good to know.

Was this guy on the Big Break a couple of years ago?

Kinda reminded me of myself when i decide to blow up a nice round.. when it rains it pours :confused2: lol

It has to be tough going into the fourth round in a PGA event with the lead knowing you haven't even made a cut before. I give it up to him for not passing out. I couldn't imagine the pressure he was feeling. What a great swing though.

It has to be tough going into the fourth round in a PGA event with the lead knowing you haven't even made a cut before. I give it up to him for not passing out. I couldn't imagine the pressure he was feeling. What a great swing though.

Edit: he finished second once.

Edit: he finished second once.

Yeah, he really hasn't though. Nationwide I think he had 1-2 wins, but none on the PGA Tour.

However he has made cuts. I think he made 7-8 of them last year.

Classic example of when course management can be a smart thing. He'd been sticking wedge shots all day long. Why not lay that tee shot up to a number? That drive was cooking, even had it been straight he would've run off the back of the green and short sided himself. Plus, adrenaline pumping. Just a bad decision in the first place.

its a shame he couldnt finish it off, potentially couldve been a great story. Also, another carolina boy to play well this year. Webb Simpson, Bill Haas, Dustin Johnson, 2 gloves have all played well this year. Carolina boys are in effect!

Yeah, he really hasn't though. Nationwide I think he had 1-2 wins, but none on the PGA Tour.

However he has made cuts. I think he made 7-8 of them last year.

From the PGA Tour site "Made six of 24 cuts in his first season on the PGA TOUR in 2008. Recorded his best finish (2) on TOUR at the 2008 Children's Miracle Network Classic with rounds of 68-66-66-64, one stroke behind Davis Love III."

Back