"Proper" driver length???

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Is there a correct length a driver should be??? I never though about this before but looking at my driver sticking out of my bag yesterday the thought entered my head. Any thoughts?

I think it makes a huge difference for accuracy, but the guy that fit's me here argues that anything under standard length will simply through off the swing weight and mess up accuracy and distance. I still have mine cut down.

Whatever works best! I'm considering cutting down my driver once the season starts as new drivers are getting longer and I feel I could gain a little accuracy by cutting it down a bit

I think it makes a huge difference for accuracy, but the guy that fit's me here argues that anything under standard length will simply through off the swing weight and mess up accuracy and distance. I still have mine cut down.

Well when the driver is taller than you, you should have them cut down! :D

personal preference I think more than anything plays into this

I dont think theres a "proper" length for everyone but each person there is probably a length that will work better for you. For me Ive found 45" or even 44.5" works the best. But Ive also talked to some club fitters that said if you took a SF 2.0 and cut it down to 45" you change the whole dimension of the club and mess with the swing weight. I also ask about clubs like the R11 and 910D2 and he said the same thing about those. For best results he suggested playing them at whatever length they come. I just dont feel comfortable swinging a 46" shaft in my driver.

+1 44.5-45 is a nice range for distance and control
I dont think theres a "proper" length for everyone but each person there is probably a length that will work better for you. For me Ive found 45" or even 44.5" works the best. But Ive also talked to some club fitters that said if you took a SF 2.0 and cut it down to 45" you change the whole dimension of the club and mess with the swing weight. I also ask about clubs like the R11 and 910D2 and he said the same thing about those. For best results he suggested playing them at whatever length they come. I just dont feel comfortable swinging a 46" shaft in my driver.

But Ive also talked to some club fitters that said if you took a SF 2.0 and cut it down to 45" you change the whole dimension of the club and mess with the swing weight. I also ask about clubs like the R11 and 910D2 and he said the same thing about those.

You can always play around with swingweight after the club is cut down, ie lighter grip or with the R9/R11 add extra weight to the ports or ugly ugly lead tape

Moved to fitting.

You can always play around with swingweight after the club is cut down, ie lighter grip or with the R9/R11 add extra weight to the ports or ugly ugly lead tape

Thats true. This guy mentioned something that Im not very familiar with called adding hot melt to the head. Or just a heavier shaft.

When I had my fitting last week, I asked about this and the Cleveland rep told me I could hit that 45.75" driver just fine. He's shorter than me and hits it good. He said he just chokes up a bit. I will let you know how I do swapping from a 44.5" to a 45.75".

I cant swing these new longer shafted drivers either ! I think I am going to have my Bi-Matrix (44") shaft pulled out of an older TM 320 and put into my Diablo edge and see if this helps .
If I choke up 2-3 inches on the Diablo I hit it alright but it doesn't feel right to me for some reason .

What is the difference between choking up a bit and cutting an inch off the end of you shaft?

When I had my fitting last week, I asked about this and the Cleveland rep told me I could hit that 45.75" driver just fine. He's shorter than me and hits it good. He said he just chokes up a bit. I will let you know how I do swapping from a 44.5" to a 45.75".

Im curious how this works out for you. Thats a big jump in shaft length, dont be jealous Gray lol. But your adding over an inch to the driver.

Im curious how this works out for you. Thats a big jump in shaft length, dont be jealous Gray lol. But your adding over an inch to the driver.

Me too Kevin but I was hitting it pretty good on the range during my fitting. Time will tell. I emailed our rep to ask him this question. I'll let you know what he says.

What is the difference between choking up a bit and cutting an inch off the end of you shaft?

Not having to choke up and not mentally fooling yourself intoning swinging full speed because you're choking up

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

I play a 44.5" shaft in my Supertri at the moment, the shaft in my diablo was 45.

When you are measuring shaft length, is it the total length of the shaft, or only the part that is sticking out of the club?
There is 43" sticking out of my driver... since I can barely swing that, I'd hate to see what would happen to me with an SF2.0

When you are measuring shaft length, is it the total length of the shaft, or only the part that is sticking out of the club?
There is 43" sticking out of my driver... since I can barely swing that, I'd hate to see what would happen to me with an SF2.0

I THINK that would be more in the 45" driver lenth. You have to include the head when measuring.

think you're right...there's almost 1.5-2" in the sleeve I think
I THINK that would be more in the 45" driver lenth. You have to include the head when measuring.

I like the feel of the butt end of the grip in the heel of my left hand , choking up I dont have that same feel . I know it sounds odd , but it just doesn't feel right .

Unique and not

Unique and not

Is there a correct length a driver should be??? I never though about this before but looking at my driver sticking out of my bag yesterday the thought entered my head. Any thoughts?

Choosing the right length is based on many factors. It is true today with ultralight clubs at say 46" and you cut it down to 44.5"-45" you will change the swing weight. Unless you add weight to the head to maintain a D5 sw, it is possible to alter the performance of the driver. You must also factor in the weight of the shaft. What you will notice is that as the shaft gets heavier the lengths get shorter. Unless you are extremely short (Height) there are few that are going to find a positive by shortening the driver to 44 1/2". You might as well hit a 13* fairway with a low trajectory shaft. If I were you I would first check to see if the shaft fits you in the first place (track man, flight scope). No point in tinkering until you find this out first. (P.S. do an outside driver fitting)

I went through an extensive driver fitting by a Golf Digest rated top fitter a few weeks ago. The best length for me was 47-inches.

Back