largest sweet spot club

brsmith33

Reaction score
Handicap
what 460cc driver and 3 wood today has the largest legal sweet spot?

I don't know for certain but would have to mention the Cobra S3. I know they have this 9 point face technology or something. Might be worth looking into.

I don't know for certain but would have to mention the Cobra S3. I know they have this 9 point face technology or something. Might be worth looking into.

Cobra's R&D into sweet spot technology is pretty interesting.
Definitely take a look at them!

I really think the question should be asked as to why? I know that many look at sweet spots as the area that gives the best ball speed coming off the club face, but still others look at that word and immediately think most forgiving. It could also be that many club companies offer a great deal of forgiveness in the depth of the club, while others offer it in a thinner profile and more heel to toe.

I really think the question should be asked as to why? I know that many look at sweet spots as the area that gives the best ball speed coming off the club face, but still others look at that word and immediately think most forgiving. It could also be that many club companies offer a great deal of forgiveness in the depth of the club, while others offer it in a thinner profile and more heel to toe.

Excellent point.
My driver for instance is always called "forgiving". I've never heard a reference towards it having a large sweet spot.

Someone on this site has a quote in their signature that says "the size of the sweet spot is the same on every club".

"I really don't know how the golf industry gets away with some of the crap they advertise. Example: Our club has a "bigger Sweet Spot"..."BULL" The sweet spot they are referring to is the center of gravity. Now, I do not know what school they went to, but every physical mass in the universe has a center of gravity and it is were it is and does not get larger or smaller. Were the "Vertical-Line Center of Gravity" (VG) and the Horizontal-Line Center of Gravity" (HG) cross is the true "Center of Gravity" (CG). This being true, then the true CG of wood and iron heads can not be on the face of the club. The center of gravity of irons is near the face, however the center of gravity of wood heads is inside, around the middle some where, depending on its size and design. This is why I refer to the VG above when talking about the larger headed drivers.

The bigger sweet spot is refereed to when talking about the larger Driver heads and Perimeter Weighted/Cavity Back irons. The larger the wood head and cavity back irons will rotate less around the "vertical-line center of gravity" vs smaller wood heads and blade style irons when it is missed. The true statement is "You will get longer straighter shots when you miss the "center of gravity" VG + HG. In other words, they are more forgiving on miss hits."

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/TWGOLF/indexclubfacts.html

Snake Eyes 685T Driver Head
The Snake Eyes 685T Driver Head has DOC variable-thickness in the clubface design that makes the entire hitting surface the "sweet spot." This ensures consistently fast launch speeds even on mis-hits.

Snake Eyes 685T Driver Head
The Snake Eyes 685T Driver Head has DOC variable-thickness in the clubface design that makes the entire hitting surface the "sweet spot." This ensures consistently fast launch speeds even on mis-hits.

Snakes Eyes has apparently managed to get around the laws of gravity and physics then. Well done!

Cobra drivers would get my vote. I use the L4V, and it has an extremely hot face. Maxed out on the USGA limits of MOI, clubhead size, COR, and volume. I love mine!

Cobra drivers would get my vote. I use the L4V, and it has an extremely hot face. Maxed out on the USGA limits of MOI, clubhead size, COR, and volume. I love mine!

hasn't just about every driver "Maxed out on the USGA limits of MOI, clubhead size, COR, and volume"?

hasn't just about every driver "Maxed out on the USGA limits of MOI, clubhead size, COR, and volume"?

+1, exactly JNR, why would a manfacturer not max out on the USGA legal limits? You would essentially be giving the competition a decided advantage in the club wars if you don't.

Cobra S3 you may want to look into. Squared head drivers are pretty forgiving. I had the Nike SQ2 5900 and it worked quite well. Take a look at the square Machspeed.

Back