Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Based on my history with the 3w, I really have no desire to consider puting one back in my back now that I have found the Mashie. I lose maybe 20 yards going from the 3W to the 20.5 Mashie but I gain so much more in shot variety, shot consistancy and of course shot confidence it would be a waste for me to add a 3w at this time. At the outing I will check out the M1 if it is available and see how I hit it and I might add it depending on the results I see from hitting it.

Well, I can assure you that there will be at least one M1 at the outing, and you can certainly have a go with it.

I agree G4L. For all of us considering the M1, what would you want to get out of it? Would it be mostly off the tee or the deck? I think it brings up an interesting point because I use my 3w from the turf and the tee. I'd be inclined to use it more if it had the ease of use of the Mashie. I actually find myself teeing off with the Mashie in spots I never would have before without even thinking about it. Not that its something that is new to everyone but it really changes the way I play my game. I wonder how much the extra 15-20 yards would treat me. I'm assuming 15-20 yards lol but I don't really know.

Also, I'll be getting out soon, does anyone have a types of shots or situations that you feel you'd like more input on? (ie rough, sand shots etc)...

I can't speak for G4L, but I know if the M2 kicks a 3w out of my bag I have some pretty specific things that I'm looking for it to do:

-be more accurate
-find more consistent contact off the turf
-not lose it left
-inspire the confidence that I have in the M3

If it can do those things, I won't think twice about sacraficing a little distance.

I agree G4L. For all of us considering the M1, what would you want to get out of it? Would it be mostly off the tee or the deck? I think it brings up an interesting point because I use my 3w from the turf and the tee. I'd be inclined to use it more if it had the ease of use of the Mashie. I actually find myself teeing off with the Mashie in spots I never would have before without even thinking about it. Not that its something that is new to everyone but it really changes the way I play my game. I wonder how much the extra 15-20 yards would treat me. I'm assuming 15-20 yards lol but I don't really know.

Also, I'll be getting out soon, does anyone have a types of shots or situations that you feel you'd like more input on? (ie rough, sand shots etc)...

20 yard flop shot?

Well, I currently do use my 3 wood off the deck and from the tee. But I only use the 3W off the tee when I'll run out of fairway with the driver due to dog legs or hazards, etc. I don't use it for narrower fairways because I'm really no more accurate with it than my driver in most cases. If I have a narrow fairway, I currently tee off with my old school hybrid. So I'm hoping the M1 will give me a nice 240-250 yard tee ball with the accuracy I expect to get.

And I do use my 3W quite a bit off the deck for par 5s and the like, but rarely from the rough because it just doesn't cut through the rough like a hybrid does. AND I'm expecting the M1 to cut through the rough better than my current hybrid due to the glide rails. Basically, I envision a club that will let me go for almost any par 5 in two, even from the rough. I'm quite excited about trying this out.

Well, I currently do use my 3 wood off the deck and from the tee. But I only use the 3W off the tee when I'll run out of fairway with the driver due to dog legs or hazards, etc. I don't use it for narrower fairways because I'm really no more accurate with it than my driver in most cases. If I have a narrow fairway, I currently tee off with my old school hybrid. So I'm hoping the M1 will give me a nice 240-250 yard tee ball with the accuracy I expect to get.

And I do use my 3W quite a bit off the deck for par 5s and the like, but rarely from the rough because it just doesn't cut through the rough like a hybrid does. AND I'm expecting the M1 to cut through the rough better than my current hybrid due to the glide rails. Basically, I envision a club that will let me go for almost any par 5 in two, even from the rough. I'm quite excited about trying this out.

This is what I am looking for in my M2. I can't hit a f/W off the deck consistantly so must of the time I play par 5's safe and lay up unless I bombed a drive and think I can get there with my 3 hybrid.

The accuracy is huge with the Mashie. You're both going to find really tight dispersion in your shots.

The course looks so different with a club like this.

This is what I am looking for in my M2. I can't hit a f/W off the deck consistantly so must of the time I play par 5's safe and lay up unless I bombed a drive and think I can get there with my 3 hybrid.

I can't speak for G4L, but I know if the M2 kicks a 3w out of my bag I have some pretty specific things that I'm looking for it to do:

-be more accurate
-find more consistent contact off the turf
-not lose it left
-inspire the confidence that I have in the M3

If it can do those things, I won't think twice about sacraficing a little distance.

Every time I read your post about the Mashie I have to remind myself you are a left. You talk about losing things left and I am like I though you didn't hook it!

He's the only reviewer on the site and don't have to turn everything around in my head for. I have a healthy fear of the left and if the mashie takes that away I will be happy.

I'm thinking at this point I'm going to have to jump on the M2 train as well. I'm willing to bet the gap between my fairway and the M3 is going to be large enough that it needs to be bridged but there's no way it's replacing a fairway. For some reason, the fairway is always the best club in my bag.

then it should remain in the bag my friend.....
I'm thinking at this point I'm going to have to jump on the M2 train as well. I'm willing to bet the gap between my fairway and the M3 is going to be large enough that it needs to be bridged but there's no way it's replacing a fairway. For some reason, the fairway is always the best club in my bag.

Well was told Cleveland pushed ship dates back to 15th or 16th on my order so it be 2 more weeks on it with shipping from Cali. Oh well I'll only probably play once in that time anyway!

Well was told Cleveland pushed ship dates back to 15th or 16th on my order so it be 2 more weeks on it with shipping from Cali. Oh well I'll only probably play once in that time anyway!

Patty very nicely got back to me yesterday about when the Mashies were shipping out. I have a veryyyyyyy aggresive spam filter at work and I never know if it eats emails from people if I haven't added them to the safe list. Hopefully shipping out this friday, or monday at the latest. I'm on the edge of my seat.

I can't wait for Patty to tell me my mashie has shipped. I may take half day at work and go to the sim/range that afternoon

I can't wait for Patty to tell me my mashie has shipped. I may take half day at work and go to the sim/range that afternoon

Now that is dedication.

atta boy

I took the Mashie out for a round today. It was an interesting day to say the least. Nowhere near my best but really helped push me in a certain direction when it comes to next Mashie in my bag. A few thoughts that had been brewing kinda came to light as well. Nothing bad at all lol and I will get into those tomorrow. I'm loading up on Nyquil now and gonna try and get a good nights rest so my mind is fresh for tomorrow!

I took the Mashie out for a round today. It was an interesting day to say the least. Nowhere near my best but really helped push me in a certain direction when it comes to next Mashie in my bag. A few thoughts that had been brewing kinda came to light as well. Nothing bad at all lol and I will get into those tomorrow. I'm loading up on Nyquil now and gonna try and get a good nights rest so my mind is fresh for tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts tomorrow. Don't take too much Nyquil and sleep through the day I did that the other week and it was not good.

I am totally losing my resolve. I would love to put the M1 and M3 in my bag. I just have to hit them first, going to see if they are available to hit this weekend.

I Tapped, I Talked

Hey guys. Tomorrow is the day I finally get to hit the mashie. For three months now I've been reading this thread and I have convinced myself I need at least one of these mashies. I’m super excited to hit the club yet I’m still a little nervous as the build up and anticipation of it has surpassed anything I’ve experienced in golf so far. For weeks now I’ve been trying to decide on my ideal bag set up. I have recently bought a set of cg'7 irons, I also have the Cleveland launcher 2 DST hybrid (18 and the 5 wood with a loft of 19). I'm hitting both ok and quite happy to keep them both in my bag. So now my dilemma is the choice of the mashie. I hate my 4i and I don’t have a 3i so I’m thinking a mashie 3 and also a mashie 5 will suit my setup the best. Ill keep my 5i in the bag as I’m sure it will hit shorter than the mashie 5. Has anyone hit with the mashie 5 yet? What are your thoughts?

I have not hit the M5 yet, but have hit the 2, 3, and 4. None of them have given me any issues, so I would suspect the m5 would be an incredible club. I am a big fan of the club head in this hybrid, but even a bigger fan of the shaft right now. Combined it can be a lethal combination.

I have ordered a Mashie 3, 4, & 5 so I will let you know what I think when I get them. I've only tested the Mashie 3 so I'm also anxious to try out the 4 and 5. I keep watching for the truck to pull into my driveway! Can't wait to get these!

JB, what type of yardage gap did you see between the M3 and M5? I'm thinking if I do another Mashie it will be the M1 (more likely) or the M5 and just take out some longer irons (4/5).

JB, what type of yardage gap did you see between the M3 and M5? I'm thinking if I do another Mashie it will be the M1 (more likely) or the M5 and just take out some longer irons (4/5).

Read my post above...I have not tried the M5 yet. 2,3,4 for me so far.

Back