R11 Tip issue!!!!

BigCov

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, I just got my R11 in, and I bought a Diamana Whiteboard shaft to go in it. My plan was to take the tip off of the stock shaft and put it on the Diamana. NEWS FLASH: the tips for the R11 can't be taken off like the R9 tips without melting a piece of plastic on the tip. It is still usable, but not very cosmetic. I went ahead and put it on. Any word out there when Taylormade will release the tips for the R11? BTW, the rumors about the R9 and R11 tips being the same are false. At least the tips look totally different, so I assume tehy work differently. You can put in the R9 tip to an R11 and it will lock down, but I think you lose some functionality. Any info debunking this or confirming it would also be appreciated.

Thanks

The original R9 tip is different than the R11 tip, but it still works. For stock clubs, there are mainly 3 versions.

Ver 1: Original R9 + R9 460
Ver 2: Supertri + Superdeep - these have a little different shape but still work the same
Ver 3: R11 - same as Ver 2 but with new markings

That plastic on the top is just a ferrule. I've been using a tip without that ferrule with no issues.

The original R9 tip is different than the R11 tip, but it still works. For stock clubs, there are mainly 3 versions.

Ver 1: Original R9 + R9 460
Ver 2: Supertri + Superdeep - these have a little different shape but still work the same
Ver 3: R11 - same as Ver 2 but with new markings

That plastic on the top is just a ferrule. I've been using a tip without that ferrule with no issues.

That is what I have in there now, the R11 minus the ferrule (which also has the markings). I can't leave it like that. LOL! So I was told the R9 Supertri tip doesn't function the same and therefore you lose some functionality in the loft adjustment. Is this not true?

That is what I have in there now, the R11 minus the ferrule (which also has the markings). I can't leave it like that. LOL! So I was told the R9 Supertri tip doesn't function the same and therefore you lose some functionality in the loft adjustment. Is this not true?

The R9 tips work fine, they function exactly the same and this is straight from taylormade, the only difference is the markings on the sleeve and a little bit lighter with the R11 tip

The R9 tips work fine, they function exactly the same and this is straight from taylormade, the only difference is the markings on the sleeve and a little bit lighter with the R11 tip

Well, maybe I will throw in an R9 tip then, until the R11's are avaiable. Thanks.

Well, maybe I will throw in an R9 tip then, until the R11's are avaiable. Thanks.

not a problem, just make sure the Tip is the same size as the shaft, TP is .335 and NON TP is .350

The TM rep for my area told the local golf shop owner there is a trick to popping the tip off very easily. I may have some more info later this week. Golf shops may also be able to snag some R11 tips from their reps.

Thank Eli Whitney and his interchangeable parts idea. BRILLIANT!

I've been using the R9 Tips from Golfworks (gereric replacements) but they are working well, have not tried one in an R11 yet but soon.

The TM rep for my area told the local golf shop owner there is a trick to popping the tip off very easily. I may have some more info later this week. Golf shops may also be able to snag some R11 tips from their reps.

I don't see how, but this would be great info. I ordered 2 R11 tips from Taylormade today (the sku's were literally released for them to sell the tips this morning). I also broke down and stayed on the phone for a serious length of time (you don't wanna know) to tlak to someone in TM R&D. That person told me that there is no functionality loss using the R9 tips in the R11. They just look different. Becomes a bit moot of a point for me as I am putting on the R11 tips to my Whiteboard and RIP shafts. For anyone that wants to know, I also asked if the tips were backwards compatible, and was told that they were, as long as the hand was the same (the new R11 tips are now RH and LH specific). So there you go, questions answered, issue resolved. Thanks guys.

I'd still be really interested to know how to get them off easily, if you find out.:D

Back