Omega Dubai Desert Classic [Spoilers]

that's still troubling seeing where he is with the putter....of course we don't know what putter he's been practicing with vs. actually gaming. or do we?

He had both in his bag again during his last round locally here.

THis is exactly what I have said since the beginning. But only time will tell if that means "back to form". The only thing I can guarantee is that when he gets that win, his fans will go ballistic and claim he's back....We saw that at the Chevron only to see his collapse.

Im curious where you got the news that his practice focus is on the swing and not the putter though? Do you have a link to that? Because that seems VERY different with what a few folks have been saying to us.

No source at all- I don't have very many (any?) ties to the PGA tour. It makes logical sense that time spent on the swing takes away time from the short game/putting. Since he has been really struggling with those area's of the game, something must be keeping him from practicing them and improving- Going through a swing change, in my personal experience, takes almost all of your focus, effort, and range time. Perhaps he just lost his feel for the game entirely (yips or something) to explain his awful putting/short game but I don't see any evidence of that.

Tiger Woods stats for Dubai

Fairways 10/14
Greens 14/18
Putts 31

If we went to get specific about numbers here they are and they dont lie. Tiger is a shell of his former self and its quite obvious.

Tigers last win: BMW Championship in September 2009.

And since then:

11/9/09 World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions - T6
4/11/10 Masters Tournament T4
5/02/10 Wells Fargo Championship CUT
5/09/10 THE PLAYERS Championship W/D
6/06/10 Memorial Tournament T19
6/20/10 U.S. Open Championship T4
7/04/10 AT&T National T46
7/18/10 British Open Championship T23
8/08/10 World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational T78
8/15/10 PGA Championship T28
8/29/10 The Barclays T12
9/06/10 Deutsche Bank Championship T11
9/12/10 BMW Championship T15
10/03/10 **Ryder Cup -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
11/07/10 **World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions T6
12/05/10 **Chevron World Challenge P2

1/30/11 Farmers Insurance Open T44

Far from dominant and all over the place really. I think I see only 4 top tens in just under two years?

I love fandom. I truly do.
Can you imagine if Phil had the type of year TW did last year? People would be buying his casket. Heck they already did and he won the Masters last year.
:laughing::laughing:

Your post makes no sense. You said it had been 2 years. I pointed out that that was WILDLY incorrect - I was right. Being wrong didn't sit well, so we changed the subject to 2010. I then said I wasn't disputing his awful year in 2010. That's it. I didn't say 2010 didn't happen or didn't matter I simply pointed out it was 1 year, not two.

On the general topic:
I really don't get this whole thing or your attitude about it. I've simply stated I think he'll come back. You've stated you think he won't. I can't figure out why that's not the end of it. I've not once made fun of your belief he won't nor have I thrown around sarcasm laced posts to make fun of those who believe he won't. Why would I, it's just your opinion, you're entitled to it.

You have no more evidence to suggest he won't than I have to suggest he will, they're just opinions. The arguments "look at the last 12 months" and "yes, but he's the greatest ever" have been stated 100 different ways and they each have merit. One of us will be right and one will be wrong. I don't think your nuts, nor do I laugh at you for thinking he's done, and I'm not sure why you would think someone is nuts nor laugh at them for thinking the greatest player of our time just might come back.

love it when OEM drops the knowledge bomb....BOOM!
If we went to get specific about numbers here they are and they dont lie. Tiger is a shell of his former self and its quite obvious.

And since then:

8/29/10 The Barclays T12

Far from dominant and all over the place really. I think I see only 4 top tens in just under two years?

Your post makes no sense. You said it had been 2 years. I pointed out that that was WILDLY incorrect - I was right. Being wrong didn't sit well, so we changed the subject to 2010. I then said I wasn't disputing his awful year in 2010. That's it. I didn't say 2010 didn't happen or didn't matter I simply pointed out it was 1 year, not two.

On the general topic:
I really don't get this whole thing or your attitude about it. I've simply stated I think he'll come back. You've stated you think he won't. I can't figure out why that's not the end of it. I've not once made fun of your belief he won't nor have I thrown around sarcasm laced posts to make fun of those who believe he won't. Why would I, it's just your opinion, you're entitled to it.

You have no more evidence to suggest he won't than I have to suggest he will, they're just opinions. The arguments "look at the last 12 months" and "yes, but he's the greatest ever" have been stated 100 different ways and they each have merit. One of us will be right and one will be wrong. I don't think your nuts, nor do I laugh at you for thinking he's done, and I'm not sure why you would think someone is nuts nor laugh at them for thinking the greatest player of our time just might come back.

WHAT? Didnt sit well? Are you on pot?

Three things to point out to you. I do think he is the greatest ever and have called him GOAT in almost every thread. So lets get that out of the way now.
I have NEVER said he is done, but something tells me you are reading into that in posts and it is wildly inaccurate as you like to point out.
Thirdly, facts and results are what real predictions are made from. Your basing all your thoughts on him returning to form on his PAST victories. You are not looking at him and saying "boy he's handsome, I'll pick him". You base your thoughts on the fact that you are a fan of his and remember his dominant past. Others are making predictions of his future not looking so bright on the once again REAL stats and outcomes in tournaments played.
NOT EVERYTHING has to be an argument with TW fans. People CAN have a real conversation about the state of his game without the fan side of things. Some people (both fans and realists) can have a subjective conversation....although apparently not all.

And since then:

8/29/10 The Barclays T12

love it when OEM drops the knowledge bomb....BOOM!
I can appreciate someone digging up the stats too, but he calls that span "just under two years" when in reality it's barely over 1 year. September of 2009 is only 15 months ago.

WHAT? Didnt sit well? Are you on pot?

Three things to point out to you. I do think he is the greatest ever and have called him GOAT in almost every thread. So lets get that out of the way now.
I have NEVER said he is done, but something tells me you are reading into that in posts and it is wildly inaccurate as you like to point out.
Thirdly, facts and results are what real predictions are made from. Your basing all your thoughts on him returning to form on his PAST victories. You are not looking at him and saying "boy he's handsome, I'll pick him". You base your thoughts on the fact that you are a fan of his and remember his dominant past. Others are making predictions of his future not looking so bright on the once again REAL stats and outcomes in tournaments played.
NOT EVERYTHING has to be an argument with TW fans. People CAN have a real conversation about the state of his game without the fan side of things. Some people (both fans and realists) can have a subjective conversation....although apparently not all.

All I was pointing out (correctly) was that it wasn't two years. As my lengthy post said repeatedly we both have opinions and we're entitled to them - not sure how that's argumentative. However, one side continues to be aggressive and insulting while the other simply states their opinion. When that's pointed out the offending side starts in with the "Some people (both fans and realists) can have a subjective conversation....although apparently not all" crap as if they were the ones being polite and the other side was being rude.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

As I said, I don't get it. I've tried to be clear that it's just my opinion. That I don't count a 35 year old "GOAT" out in a sport that is playable well into ones 40s seems reasonable to me. You disagree, fine. Time will tell.

true but I thoiught the arguement was 'what has he done lately that would suggest he's back or on his way back' which is why I liked OEM's list. If I misread the arguement I apologize
I can appreciate someone digging up the stats too, but he calls that span "just under two years" when in reality it's barely over 1 year. September of 2009 is only 15 months ago.

Tiger Woods stats for Dubai

Fairways 10/14
Greens 14/18
Putts 31

Can't putt. You average 31 on the Tour and eventually you lose your card. Not that he could lose his card, but he has lost his putting stroke. While it's probably the media's fault for making such a big deal out of his sexual indiscretions, once the putting goes, it generally doesn't come back. I think most Tiger fans fail to realize how clutch a putter he was in the past.

Kevin

Perhaps you are looking into things a little too deeply. People can debate about things all they want here. What is the point of having a REAL discussion about someone that has fallen off the earth in terms of where they were if once a statement is made or an opinion is put up, nobody can discuss it.

Nobody needs to get their feathers all ruffled because someone thinks that TW is a piece of garbage. Just like nobody gets all ruffled if someone says Phil has no drive left. Its about subjective conversation and debate and just like I said, some people seem to understand that and others dont. Where did I say one side is being polite and another is not? Again, that is you reading into things and believing that this is some kind of argument. Why can it not be a subjective conversation about where the greatest of all time was and where he is now, and where he is headed.

You have said you dont want that. You want to make your opinion known and leave it at that. So do so. Make your statement and leave it at that. Your exact statement I believe was that you believed by Spring he would be back and you could not wait to come back to the forum and laugh....Not sure what that even means, but that was your statement (in a nutshell). Since that is your belief and you dont like the debate, move on would be my best recommendation. Others like to talk about it. It is a golf forum after all and he is/was the greatest golfer.

It was huge part of his game. From what I remember he wasn't in every fairway, he wasn't on every green but it didn't matter because his short game was phenominal. I could be wrong.

I hope to see Kaymer take #1. I like him. Westy too. I would like to see Sergio take a win sometime soon and I hope this tournament is it. Nothing personal with that one though.

Can't putt. You average 31 on the Tour and eventually you lose your card. Not that he could lose his card, but he has lost his putting stroke. While it's probably the media's fault for making such a big deal out of his sexual indiscretions, once the putting goes, it generally doesn't come back. I think most Tiger fans fail to realize how clutch a putter he was in the past.

Kevin

No youre correct, 15 months it is. But its more about whats been done and what hasnt been done then the time frame. But you are correct.

Is everyone mad at me? I did say two years, that was not correct. I apologize for that. I don't think I'm attacking anyone, just trying to have a discussion about the state of Tigger's game.

I think Esox makes some good points about the putting stroke. It looks like Gmac stole it or something.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Brain Katrek was on the last part of Fairways of Life this morning and he brought up the topic of Tiger's swing change. The question he asked was "Why did he have to revamp his entire swing." What he was saying is that his swing won tournaments in 09 and came out and played OK at the Masters. Failed to make the cut at Quail Hollow, and then had the "neck injury." He said he had never heard a clear reason why he needed to completely remake his swing.

Lol I hope not!!!!!

You know, his putter isnt up to where it was. But is it just me or do I remember a whole lot of, "I can't believe he just made a golf ball do that" type shots from bunkers, rough etc... It's not there now really, I mean did have that 40 yard hook around a tree that I can remember but I think that's huge. He used to just hit out of trouble like it was nothing. Not so much anymore.

Sorry guys, I know I keep going back to this and I apologize.

Is everyone mad at me? I did say two years, that was not correct. I apologize for that. I don't think I'm attacking anyone, just trying to have a discussion about the state of Tigger's game.

I think Esox makes some good points about the putting stroke. It looks like Gmac stole it or something.

Kevin

Excellent post. Tiger was the best putter Ive seen when he was putting good. Just a stone cold killer.

I think Elin won it on the divorce settlement. :D

I don't think you understand how you "read" to others. You say it isn't what you mean, fine; all I can do is take your word for it. Hopefully you're willing to hear that it "reads" very differently. I doubt were we in the same room, we'd ever misunderstand each other or have a problem talking about this all day. The written word, however, is another story sometimes.

I did say I thought TW would be "back" by mid-season (I think that was my timetable) and that I would enjoy seeing those who have so aggressively said it will "Never happen" (and some have been that adamant) eating some crow. I may not get that chance the way he's playing right now, but I think a logical person would say both outcomes are possible and debate from that point. A debate requires both sides to recognize the merits of the other's argument - otherwise it's just a shouting match and it's pointless. I'm happy to debate, I'm not interested in a shouting match.

Kevin

Agreed!
I will make one concession, that putts/round isn't a great marker of putting, but your point still stands.

When players start to go downhill with putting the following thing tends to happen (this is in generalities- and by no means applies to every player)
1. Change putters
2. Still struggle
3. Change grip
4. Still struggle
5. Change grip again
6. Still struggle
7. Go Belly putter

So far Tiger has managed the first two steps. If #3 happens I will be REALLY worried.

I'd like to see him go back to the 003, he putted better that week. He used it for his final round in the Aussie Masters and putted well that round too.

A debate requires both sides to recognize the merits of the other's argument - otherwise it's just a shouting match and it's pointless. I'm happy to debate, I'm not interested in a shouting match.

No it doesn't. Since when does a debate require someone to recognize merits in the other arguments (in theories maybe)? A debate can be subjective or not. I see people here being subjective and talking about both sides. I also see people here not being subjective. That is their choice. But debates can be just that debates and not have to be an argument. Nobody has to agree with merits or even recognize or respect them to have a debate.

As I said, some people take things far more personally than others. Others enjoy a nice spirited debate and when talking about a player as polarizing as this, its a refreshing thing. I for one wont ask anybody to walk on eggshells in fear of hurting someones feelings in a debate (generalizing clearly and talking about their feelings about TW). As long as personal attacks are not involved and it is kept family friendly, there is no reason to have it that way.

NOW back to the tournament.

Brain Katrek was on the last part of Fairways of Life this morning and he brought up the topic of Tiger's swing change. The question he asked was "Why did he have to revamp his entire swing." What he was saying is that his swing won tournaments in 09 and came out and played OK at the Masters. Failed to make the cut at Quail Hollow, and then had the "neck injury." He said he had never heard a clear reason why he needed to completely remake his swing.

Because it's the one thing he could fix when everything else was crumbling around him.

Back