Where do you tee the ball and why?

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
I went to the range today (on mats) and was forced to use those big ugly rubber tees that are way to tall for my swing path. So I try changing my swing up just a little to catch a little more upswing when I get to the ball, but no matter what I do I get bad results. My best shots are produced when I tee the top of the ball parallel to the top of the face of my club. I think that this is because my swing is so shallow and very inside to out. I hear a lot to tee it high, but that just isn't me! So it kind of just got me wondering where others tee their ball and why it works for them.

I tee up so that the ball sits with half the ball above the top of my club

Epoch tee with lines. Line it up to the last line and its the perfect height for me. Also get the same height every time with that.

JB. Just started using the Epoch tees myself. They're a great product! I'm probably gonna use a marker and mark all my tees so I don't waste time in the box getting that perfect height.

I've found that if I tee the ball so it seems a bit lower than it should be I end up with better results. That's because when I began all I read was "tee it high, and make it fly". Turns out that didn't work for me at all, but my brain (or eyes) expect it now. I like 1/2 the ball over the crown or a little less.

I have a tendency to tee my driver too low, and my FW too high. I'm trying to get more comfortable teeing up with a little more than 1/2 ball above driver.

I've found that if I tee the ball so it seems a bit lower than it should be I end up with better results. That's because when I began all I read was "tee it high, and make it fly". Turns out that didn't work for me at all, but my brain (or eyes) expect it now. I like 1/2 the ball over the crown or a little less.

That's pretty close to my setting, just less than half the ball above the club face, but once I check the height against the head I try not to touch the club head to the ground. I just waggle and go.

For me it depends on the type of shot I want to hit. I use a deepface driver so my 'standard' would be with about 1/2 to 1/3 of the ball above the club. Different shots require different tee heights sometimes though. I will move it up or down to help with the shot I want to hit.

JB. Just started using the Epoch tees myself. They're a great product! I'm probably gonna use a marker and mark all my tees so I don't waste time in the box getting that perfect height.

yup i bought a bunch of unmarked epoch tees and just got a sharpie to mark the perfect height

im like a few ppl and tee it up 1/2 the ball below the crown (here's the kicker) when the ball has to be place inline with my left armpit on a normal day
on a windy day 3/4 of the ball is below the crown and the ball is more towards the middle of my stance... middle left (into the wind)
with the wind i tee the ball way high and the ball is almost at my left foot

I tee it up high, probably too high, but it works for me. Most of the ball is above my driver.

yup i bought a bunch of unmarked epoch tees and just got a sharpie to mark the perfect height

im like a few ppl and tee it up 1/2 the ball below the crown (here's the kicker) when the ball has to be place inline with my left armpit on a normal day
on a windy day 3/4 of the ball is below the crown and the ball is more towards the middle of my stance... middle left (into the wind)
with the wind i tee the ball way high and the ball is almost at my left foot

I'd love a measurement of those markings. I haven't found the marked version locally, and I love the tee.

where ever I've been teeing it it hasn't been working cause my second shot is usually somewhere close to the ladies tees where I have to hit off the ground

I wouldn't use markings on a tee. In fact I could probably just tee it up with my eyes closed since I go by feel.

Otherwise, I always tee it up somewhere between the markers but back at least a foot to not risk being ahead of the markers. :golf2:

"Tee it high and let it fly" only works if you have a deep faced driver and a swing that goes with it. My driver is more shallow faced and teeing the ball high for me will just result in hitting the crown.

1/4 to 1/2 of the ball visible above the crown of the driver when teed, regardless of how high that is.

Tee it wherever it fits and let it fly.

I use a Prolauncher 2. It has a stop built in so you can only push it into the ground so far. It seems to be the perfect height for me.

Back