Ping, Callaway, or Titleist

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
I know that the golden answer is get fitted, but lets just go off of mass appeal here. Looking at a new 3 wood, so what's the opinions here? Name yours first to last Ping G15, Callaway Diablo Octane, and Titleist 910?

Do you want adjustibility? If so, Titliest 910, If not I'd say Diablo Octane.

Titleist,Callaway then Ping. I have or had 3w's by the first two companies I listed and I think they make great products. Im sure Ping does too Ive just never played one.

TaylorMade superfast 3w....

Can I ask why its just those 3?

Looking at his sig it appears he already has a superfast 3w. Perhaps its just not right for him.

Bummer the Superfast isn't working out for you. Its my favorite 3W by far. Anyway regarding your 3: Titleist, Callaway, then Ping. Happy hunting!

Well, I was a huge believer in the superfast 3 wood before today when I went out and hit a bunch of different fairways on the range behind our local Roger Dunn. All of the other woods performed pretty close to the same with one thing in common. They were all much straighter and a little longer than my SF. The i15 would've absolutely ran away with it, but the forgiveness wasn't there with that club on mishits.

I know that the golden answer is get fitted, but lets just go off of mass appeal here. Looking at a new 3 wood, so what's the opinions here? Name yours first to last Ping G15, Callaway Diablo Octane, and Titleist 910?

I haven't hit the Octane, but I have the first Diablo 3W and you couldn't pry it away from me. Literally the first 3W I could ever get off the ground. This club is effortless. Also very easy to control trajectory with. I'd highly recommend the Callaway.

Well, I was a huge believer in the superfast 3 wood before today when I went out and hit a bunch of different fairways on the range behind our local Roger Dunn. All of the other woods performed pretty close to the same with one thing in common. They were all much straighter and a little longer than my SF. The i15 would've absolutely ran away with it, but the forgiveness wasn't there with that club on mishits.
Well just go with what gives you the best numbers. Dont worry about which ones we think are better, just go with what you hit best.
For real? The TM kool aid must be very strong!!!
It was just a joke. But id be glad to give you some of the kool-aid, its quite tasty!

It was just a joke. But id be glad to give you some of the kool-aid, its quite tasty!

I figured that, I just like to be a smart a$$ some times. Goin with the best numbers is good advice. I used to have trouble and still do on occasion, going with the best product if its not made by the company I wanted it to be made by.

Thats the great thing about not being sponsored...we can put whatever we want in our bag. So keep testing and see what performs the best. Basing whats in our bag by playing favorites doesn't improve our game.
The downside to not being sponsored...we have pay for everything!

the titleist i hit was nice - i hit the g15 both in driver and FW and didnt much care for it. Have not had the luxury of hitting a diablo octane yet - i hear good things tho.

I really really liked the superfast 2.0 - but i know its not his choices - so id say: titleist, diablo, g15

I've been leaning toward the callaway, however, if I can choose my shaft in the titleist fairway like titleist drivers then I might go t***y. So does anyone know if you can get your choice of shafts in the FW as well?

Oh, and another quick question. I only got to hit the 910F as there were no 910Fd at the shop. So, is the 910F or the 910Fd the harder to hit and less forgiving players club?

Obviously getting fit is the best thing thing to do but if you're set on those 3 I would say Callaway, Ping, Titleist. I haven't hit the Titleist yet which is why it's 3 but I know OEM has so hopefully he can chime in

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

I bought the 910f 19 degree last week and after 2 rounds I'm in a definte honeymoon with this club. I've yet to hit it bad, from the rough, fairway, tee, or fairway bunkers I've hit a number of jaw droppers with it. The head is low profile, which I prefer, and allows me to get down and through the ball with ease. The face just pops so I'm getting solid distance and tight, accurate shots.

Oh, and another quick question. I only got to hit the 910F as there were no 910Fd at the shop. So, is the 910F or the 910Fd the harder to hit and less forgiving players club?

The Fd will likely be harder everywhere but from the tee, for most players

I can't emphasize enough how well the G15 3w performed for me last season. I bought the G15 driver, and the 3w as an afterthought just to match. The Driver I found to be somewhat lacking for me, but the 3w will not be getting the boot for a looong time. Even if you don't necessarily pick it up, you should definitely give it a swing before making any decisions. Just money with a Serrano in it.

Last edited:
Well, you have 3 completely different 3woods that you are considering. I've not hit the 910 but I've heard and read good things about it. So I will comment on the other two you have listed. Ranked in order of my preference:

1. Ping G15 - I actually really liked this club. It sounds fantastic, it offers a ton of forgiveness and for me, it was a serious threat to the Superfast 3w. I did notice the occassional pull or hook with it, and liked the fact that I didn't lose it left all that much.

2. Callaway Diablo edge - I may be in the minority but I just didn't care for this club at all. I wanted to like it and I wanted it to go in the bag but it was just awkward for me. It offers a nice sound but for some reason I really struggle with this club at address. Perhaps it's the hosel'ing or lack of ferrul, I just don't know, but I'm not comfortable hitting this club off the deck.

Good luck.

I felt the same way and actually loved the Octane Tour better than the standard Octane. Much better looking at address
Well, you have 3 completely different 3woods that you are considering. I've not hit the 910 but I've heard and read good things about it. So I will comment on the other two you have listed. Ranked in order of my preference:

1. Ping G15 - I actually really liked this club. It sounds fantastic, it offers a ton of forgiveness and for me, it was a serious threat to the Superfast 3w. I did notice the occassional pull or hook with it, and liked the fact that I didn't lose it left all that much.

2. Callaway Diablo edge - I may be in the minority but I just didn't care for this club at all. I wanted to like it and I wanted it to go in the bag but it was just awkward for me. It offers a nice sound but for some reason I really struggle with this club at address. Perhaps it's the hosel'ing or lack of ferrul, I just don't know, but I'm not comfortable hitting this club off the deck.

Good luck.

Just from reading the thread there are quite different results for most everyone on this subject.My advice would be like Bridges says go with the numbers.Actually I'd problely say go with what works real world.Try to demo some off grass and find out what works.Also don't narrow it down so much..there might be a real performer for you that you don't even have in this mix.There's a lot of excellent fairway woods out there now.

If you're looking for forgiveability I'd check out the Ping K-15 fairway, or even a long hybrid. I tried these at a demo and they are top notch for your higher handicappers.

Now I am a Titleist Staff guy but I have to tell you that I just hit one of the Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods and these are awesome. Great price and amazing performance. I see these in alot of Tour bags also which says alot about the product since they pay no one to play them.

Back