Golf: A Gentleman's Game?

The bolded part says it all.

You do not want to respect the rules. If the rule is "proper dress code", and you have serious issues with that, it is not exactly respecting them. As you just said "Im going to wear an ugly Tony Stewart T-shirt and orange sweat pants, just to anger people".

Golf, just like many other things in life, has what they consider proper attire at MANY places (not all). Just like there are restaurants where a wife beater and jean shorts is cool, there are golf courses that allow it too.

You are so far away from my point that we are not having the same argument.

This is part of the reason a lot of people see this as an exclusive rich man's game. Look how upset you have all gotten over people making personal decisions that have no affect on you. So Judgmental.

I also think it's funny that the majority of people defending wearing what you want are from the South (I'm from Alabama). JB, Florida doesn't count.

You don't have to be a rich man to wear a pair of khaki shorts or slacks, and a golf shirt. Try Jacques Penne or even Walmart. They carry them. I have a closet full of shirts from Jacques Penne.

Kevin

I also think it's funny that the majority of people defending wearing what you want are from the South (I'm from Alabama). JB, Florida doesn't count.

How is it judgemental to suggest a person find a place that shares their values? Or has rules that pertain to what they like to wear?

This is part of the reason a lot of people see this as an exclusive rich man's game. Look how upset you have all gotten over people making personal decisions that have no affect on you. So Judgmental.

Following the rules of a course has little to do with wealth.

And I am NOT from the south. I am from the North, lived in the midwest, and now in FL. I have lived all over this country, and I still see following the rules and tradition of the game the same way. As I have said all along, if you want to wear jeans or t shirts on the course, play somewhere that allows it.

BUT DONT get upset that some courses have guidelines that follow a tradition that hurts absolutely nobody.

I guess I am judgemental to a degree. I also consider myself a nice guy, a good family man, and responsible tax paying citizen, and good brother, good friend and a good son, but I just don't believe I'd ever play golf with someone in a t-shirt, sweat pants, or sleeveless shirt.

To me, it shows no respect to the game of golf the way that I see it. I'm sure that doesn't settle well, but I'm just trying to be honest. But, I'm also the same guy that wears a collared shirt to the driving range. It's part of my golf experience.

I'm also the same guy that wears a collared shirt to the driving range. It's part of my golf experience.

Same. I went one time(didn't plan on it, was just out and about) in just tshirt and I felt awkward. Wearing proper attire to me is as much of a tradition as a handshake.

From the iPhone.

I guess I am judgemental to a degree. I also consider myself a nice guy, a good family man, and responsible tax paying citizen, and good brother, good friend and a good son, but I just don't believe I'd ever play golf with someone in a t-shirt, sweat pants, or sleeveless shirt.

To me, it shows no respect to the game of golf the way that I see it. I'm sure that doesn't settle well, but I'm just trying to be honest. But, I'm also the same guy that wears a collared shirt to the driving range. It's part of my golf experience.

Collared shirt at the driving range TC? You sir are a classy southerner!

I'm telling you, if you ever have the John Daly experience (shirtless golf), you'll never go back. :wink:

I'm telling you, if you ever have the John Daly experience (shirtless golf), you'll never go back. :wink:

Never go back to the course I was forced to play at shirtless. Id be so embarassed Id never go back to the county.

I'm damn sure no southerner, despite the voice, lol. I play two courses here in town that are completely different, one is completely open to the public and has very basic rules, while the other has very strict rules regarding the dress code. I don't have any compunction at all when I see someone in blue jeans and a tee shirt at the first place, I figure more people spending money in the sport is a good thing. But, I am offended when they do at the other, simply because the standards are set there. These people can play the other course which incidentally has a nicer layout anyway.

ok..I will chime in..(imagine that)
There are multitudes of courses from goat tracks to $300/round private courses. Usually the dress code is commensurate with said courses. (At least around my neck of the woods)
I play everything from goat tracks with my 7yr old tagging along to the RTJ Trail courses with friends of mine. These are institutions with rules that we should abide by.
Do I think some of the traditions and rules of golf are antiquated..Yes...but that is golf. That is why we dont have drugs, fighting or other issues found in other sports. Really a breath of fresh air for me...

In just about every category one can imagine, there are different standards that are enforced by the management or should be self policed by each individual...
Walmart vs. Neiman Marcus
McDonalds vs. Ruth Chris
Saturday Night Church vs. Sunday Church (I dont think they will throw you out for wearing jeans on Sunday, but you will get looks)

Golf is different....and for a good reason...

bama

I guess we can agree to disagree but, i'm very suprised by the hostility and personal attacks towards me if i chose to wear nice comfy TN. Vols jogging pants (BTW anything orange with vols on it is ALWAYS respected here, LOL). Personally i wear nice collared Greg Norman and Nike shirts with khaki shorts when warm and golf slacks when cold about 90% of the time. Do those clothes make me a better guy to play golf with than the other 10% of the time when i've worn a t-shirt ...... HMMMMM NO it doesnt. Its so funny to me that it makes someone sooo mad that he calls me disrespectful and questions how i was raised. While another says he would not tee it up wit me if i wore those clothes, who judges a man based on what clothes they wear instead of the person they are? I have not met any of you but, i would certainly have tee'd it up with any of you regardless of what you wore. I've never played a round in jogging pants or jeans but, i regularly play with a guy that has done both and i've never thought a thing about it. The guy that won the handicap tourney at my club last year played all 3 days in blue jeans but, i guess he isnt really a golfer cause he doesnt dress like one. He did game a nice set of forged blades but, he couldnt be a serious golfer with those hideous blue jeans, LOL now thats funny. I guess i live in a different world down here with simple folk but, i would rather tee it up with simple folk than golfers who would dissown me if i didnt dress like them.

I played golf with a 60 year old guy in sweats last month. Thoroughly enjoyed it. He had such a carefree, happy attitude about it. And he was a hell of a putter.

I like to dress up, but I like jeans sometimes too.
Oh, and around here, jeans at church is okay.

I've read every post in this and have yet to see a personal attack by anyone about what people wear on the course, lol. Sure, some don't care for certain types of clothes out there, but you completely missed what every one of them said.

People should follow the rules! If a course has a rule you don't like go some where else. What's so tough about that? This is absurd, are you loud in a library because they have a quiet sign up?

I've played in blue jean pants or shorts at local courses that allow it, but would never do that at a course that had rules against it. No one is passing judgement, just saying what they think and how it hits them.

Come on man, this is pretty much the reason I try to avoid these types of threads. Nobody attacked you at all, you said you were going to wear a racing shirt and sweats to intentionally stir up trouble, kinda sounds like putting your head in the lions mouth to me. Feel free to come on down off the cross, its cold and we could use the wood.

I guess we can agree to disagree but, i'm very suprised by the hostility and personal attacks towards me if i chose to wear nice comfy TN. Vols jogging pants (BTW anything orange with vols on it is ALWAYS respected here, LOL). Personally i wear nice collared Greg Norman and Nike shirts with khaki shorts when warm and golf slacks when cold about 90% of the time. Do those clothes make me a better guy to play golf with than the other 10% of the time when i've worn a t-shirt ...... HMMMMM NO it doesnt. Its so funny to me that it makes someone sooo mad that he calls me disrespectful and questions how i was raised. While another says he would not tee it up wit me if i wore those clothes, who judges a man based on what clothes they wear instead of the person they are? I have not met any of you but, i would certainly have tee'd it up with any of you regardless of what you wore. I've never played a round in jogging pants or jeans but, i regularly play with a guy that has done both and i've never thought a thing about it. The guy that won the handicap tourney at my club last year played all 3 days in blue jeans but, i guess he isnt really a golfer cause he doesnt dress like one. He did game a nice set of forged blades but, he couldnt be a serious golfer with those hideous blue jeans, LOL now thats funny. I guess i live in a different world down here with simple folk but, i would rather tee it up with simple folk than golfers who would dissown me if i didnt dress like them.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

You are WAY over reacting smooth. Good lord man, you always think everyone is out to get you. I have read all the posts in here, not one was a personal attack and no one here is going to "disown" you. No one here is mad, you were the one saying you were going to try and make people mad. You started that a whole or deal. I dont dress in anything fancy, if Im asked to wear a collared shirt at a course I will because its there rules. Yes you are disrespectful if you dont follow the rules of what the course has. Im not sure how you dont understand that?

...come on down off the cross, its cold and we could use the wood.

That line made me choke on my toothpaste, I have a meeting coming up this week where that would be a perfect fit... now do i risk using it...

Feel free to come on down off the cross, its cold and we could use the wood.
This is really funny.... The argument is kinda moot though as most courses won't even take your money if you don't have the proper attire for the course. I played with an older guy 70ish wearing jeans this fall. He played about 9 over, great guy, serious golfer. I'm sure on tourney days he is in slacks but our course allows jeans, no big deal. I also play at a private where I change into acceptable clothes before I hit the course, no big deal.

You are WAY over reacting smooth. Good lord man, you always think everyone is out to get you. I have read all the posts in here, not one was a personal attack and no one here is going to "disown" you. No one here is mad, you were the one saying you were going to try and make people mad. You started that a whole or deal. I dont dress in anything fancy, if Im asked to wear a collared shirt at a course I will because its there rules. Yes you are disrespectful if you dont follow the rules of what the course has. Im not sure how you dont understand that?

Whatever man obviously you dont know what i was talking about, thats ok i understand.

Last edited:
Come on man, this is pretty much the reason I try to avoid these types of threads. Nobody attacked you at all, you said you were going to wear a racing shirt and sweats to intentionally stir up trouble, kinda sounds like putting your head in the lions mouth to me. Feel free to come on down off the cross, its cold and we could use the wood.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

HA HA You are a real funny ..... to each his own, think what you want but, i i read something totally different than you did, How could you say that and read what i did. You should continue avoiding things.

Last edited:
It does not matter what i said i would wear people, all that matters is how they said THEY would treat people who would wear those clothes. Think what you want too but, all i see is a bunch of COMPLETE HYPOCRITS.

I've read every post in this and have yet to see a personal attack by anyone about what people wear on the course, lol. Sure, some don't care for certain types of clothes out there, but you completely missed what every one of them said.

People should follow the rules! If a course has a rule you don't like go some where else. What's so tough about that? This is absurd, are you loud in a library because they have a quiet sign up?

I've played in blue jean pants or shorts at local courses that allow it, but would never do that at a course that had rules against it. No one is passing judgement, just saying what they think and how it hits them.

Apparently YOU completely missed what was said. Go back and read it ALL and maybe you will understand.

Last edited:
I don't want to be involved in the attire debate,but I look at it this way.Golf is a sport,correct?Would anyone go play hockey in shorts or a t-shirt?Would Tom Brady play in a football game wearing speedos?Golf is a sport,wearing a collared shirt and slacks for lack of a better word is the traditional golf uniform.I personally enjoy wearing neat clothes while golfing,but understand wearing casual where it is allowed.Respect the sport and dress to the proper attire per club rules.

Back