Golf: A Gentleman's Game?

if you want to wear a orange prison jumpsuit or go shirtless with cutoff jeans I'd still play with ya.For that mater if you wanted to wear a three piece suit I'd play with ya.To me it doesn't matter what you wear.
If you want to be a jackass out on the course that's a different thing all together.

I guess we can agree to disagree but, i'm very suprised by the hostility and personal attacks towards me if i chose to wear nice comfy TN. Vols jogging pants (BTW anything orange with vols on it is ALWAYS respected here, LOL). Personally i wear nice collared Greg Norman and Nike shirts with khaki shorts when warm and golf slacks when cold about 90% of the time. Do those clothes make me a better guy to play golf with than the other 10% of the time when i've worn a t-shirt ...... HMMMMM NO it doesnt. Its so funny to me that it makes someone sooo mad that he calls me disrespectful and questions how i was raised. While another says he would not tee it up wit me if i wore those clothes, who judges a man based on what clothes they wear instead of the person they are? I have not met any of you but, i would certainly have tee'd it up with any of you regardless of what you wore. I've never played a round in jogging pants or jeans but, i regularly play with a guy that has done both and i've never thought a thing about it. The guy that won the handicap tourney at my club last year played all 3 days in blue jeans but, i guess he isnt really a golfer cause he doesnt dress like one. He did game a nice set of forged blades but, he couldnt be a serious golfer with those hideous blue jeans, LOL now thats funny. I guess i live in a different world down here with simple folk but, i would rather tee it up with simple folk than golfers who would dissown me if i didnt dress like them.

None of my posts were ever directed at YOU. If they were, I would've quoted you, like I am doing here. Why do you have to be so defensive all the time? Why am I not allowed to choose who I want to play golf with? I'm spending my hard earned money the same way that you are. I just choose for MY golf experience to be a little bit different than yours, is that wrong? I don't think that it is.

I can't believe that you take words, muddle them around, then always make it about you. I actually was hoping that you wouldn't go down this road, but I have to be honest, I expected you to. You're becoming predictable and your severe defensiveness turns into hostile offensiveness. You need to relax. I'm glad that you enjoy playing golf with old dudes who wear sweat pants and who is the club champion. I just probably wouldn't it. And if there are golf courses that allow that kind of attire then I probably wouldn't want to play it. If someone couldn't give a rats arse about what they're wearing, then they probably don't give a rats arse about replacing divots, fixing pitch marks, raking bunker, etc.......and I don't like spending my hard earned money on golf experiences like that.

You need to chill out.

I guess we can agree to disagree but, i'm very suprised by the hostility and personal attacks towards me if i chose to wear nice comfy TN. Vols jogging pants (BTW anything orange with vols on it is ALWAYS respected here, LOL). Personally i wear nice collared Greg Norman and Nike shirts with khaki shorts when warm and golf slacks when cold about 90% of the time. Do those clothes make me a better guy to play golf with than the other 10% of the time when i've worn a t-shirt ...... HMMMMM NO it doesnt. Its so funny to me that it makes someone sooo mad that he calls me disrespectful and questions how i was raised. While another says he would not tee it up wit me if i wore those clothes, who judges a man based on what clothes they wear instead of the person they are? I have not met any of you but, i would certainly have tee'd it up with any of you regardless of what you wore. I've never played a round in jogging pants or jeans but, i regularly play with a guy that has done both and i've never thought a thing about it. The guy that won the handicap tourney at my club last year played all 3 days in blue jeans but, i guess he isnt really a golfer cause he doesnt dress like one. He did game a nice set of forged blades but, he couldnt be a serious golfer with those hideous blue jeans, LOL now thats funny. I guess i live in a different world down here with simple folk but, i would rather tee it up with simple folk than golfers who would dissown me if i didnt dress like them.

Come on man, this is pretty much the reason I try to avoid these types of threads. Nobody attacked you at all, you said you were going to wear a racing shirt and sweats to intentionally stir up trouble, kinda sounds like putting your head in the lions mouth to me. Feel free to come on down off the cross, its cold and we could use the wood.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

It does not matter what i said i would wear people, all that matters is how they said THEY would treat people who would wear those clothes. Think what you want too but, all i see is a bunch of COMPLETE HYPOCRITS.

None of my posts were ever directed at YOU. If they were, I would've quoted you, like I am doing here. Why do you have to be so defensive all the time? Why am I not allowed to choose who I want to play golf with? I'm spending my hard earned money the same way that you are. I just choose for MY golf experience to be a little bit different than yours, is that wrong? I don't think that it is.

I can't believe that you take words, muddle them around, then always make it about you. I actually was hoping that you wouldn't go down this road, but I have to be honest, I expected you to. You're becoming predictable and your severe defensiveness turns into hostile offensiveness. You need to relax. I'm glad that you enjoy playing golf with old dudes who wear sweat pants and who is the club champion. I just probably wouldn't it. And if there are golf courses that allow that kind of attire then I probably wouldn't want to play it. If someone couldn't give a rats arse about what they're wearing, then they probably don't give a rats arse about replacing divots, fixing pitch marks, raking bunker, etc.......and I don't like spending my hard earned money on golf experiences like that.

You need to chill out.

This has become as predictable as anything I have seen before. Not once did someone attack you here. Everybody seemed to be saying the same thing.

"That if someone wants to wear shorts and a t-shirt, there are courses that have no issues with that. However there are also courses that have a dress code rule and many seem to like that side of the game.".

YOU were the person that came in and said "Im going to wear my sweat pants and ugly t-shirt to see how many people I can make angry".

That says everything it needs to. In fact I believe it was your first post in the thread. Being respectful of the rules is all anybody was talking about here. All we have seen was people say "if you want to not have a dress code or wear a tank top, play at a course that allows them."

But this is an ongoing thing it seems almost every time you visit THP. The constant defensiveness for no apparent reason. When someone asks a little question or multiple questions based on decisions that you talk about you jump down their throats and assume its an attack. Not everybody is out to get you. Not everything is an attack. Sometimes people ask questions because they clearly cannot even remotely understand some of the things that you are saying. This is the perfect example of that (along with 90 other threads), you said you were going to do something just to make people angry, yet when questioned on it, defend it like you are victim here.

As someone else said, its become predictable and its a shame really.

Your upbring was questioned because you have said you would do things that may not be "proper" simply to get a reaction out of people. THAT is a product of upbringing, and honestly deserves to be questioned. In what society is it appropriate do that... to intentionally bother/upset other people. If someone came into a thread and intentionally started stirring things up for kicks and giggles- we would call that person a troll. If it isn't appropriate on the internet, chances are there is no where on earth that it is.

I guess I am judgemental to a degree. I also consider myself a nice guy, a good family man, and responsible tax paying citizen, and good brother, good friend and a good son, but I just don't believe I'd ever play golf with someone in a t-shirt, sweat pants, or sleeveless shirt.

To me, it shows no respect to the game of golf the way that I see it. I'm sure that doesn't settle well, but I'm just trying to be honest. But, I'm also the same guy that wears a collared shirt to the driving range. It's part of my golf experience.

Your honesty is always refreshing my friend....

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

It's funny that when someone doesn't agree to the concensus of the moderators that their upbringing is put into question.
That's just my observation and I could be totally wrong.
Why does it have to degenerate into such a discussion when it comes to the discussion of attire.
There's much worse things that happen on a golf course then what people are wearing.

Reactions: JB
It's funny that when someone doesn't agree to the concensus of the moderators that their upbringing is put into question.
Why does it have to degenerate into such a discussion when it comes to the discussion of attire.
There's much worse things that happen on a golf course then what people are wearing.

Like people intentionally doing things to upset other people?
To me, the frusteration has nothing to do with the clothing and everything to do with the attitude.

Are you kidding me? Nobody questioned the upbringing about apparel. It was brought up because someone said that they were doing something ONLY to anger people.
It was not about the apparel, but the bad attitude.
Did you read all the posts in the thread or just skim a few.
And the part of "agreeing with the moderators" is absurd...Expected....But absurd.

Are you kidding me? Nobody questioned the upbringing about apparel. It was brought up because someone said that they were doing something ONLY to anger people.
It was not about the apparel, but the bad attitude.
Did you read all the posts in the thread or just skim a few.
And the part of "agreeing with the moderators" is absurd...Expected....But absurd.

yes I've be reading the thread from the start.

you even equated going to the golf course with a going to place of worship when it come's to attire

As far as that goes I don't think the priest would kick me out of mass for what I'm wearing.

I also expected the response

you even equated going to the golf course with a going to place of worship when it come's to attire

As far as that goes I don't think the priest would kick me out of mass for what I'm wearing.

Clearly, you missed the point... I gave examples such as a church, fine dining, etc...that people dont get a uniform (as was mentioned by someone else), but still have a dress code. and again NOBODY is saying not to wear jeans on the course. What has been said over and over again, is that some places have apparel and attire rules and some do not. Rather than get mad at the ones that do, enjoy the ones that do not if you dont like to wear golf clothes.

I am not a moderator.
I OFTEN don't agree with JB.
I would never agree with JB because he is JB (you can ask him about that one sometime).

I am just as curious about the upbringing as he is.
Did your mother teach you to go bother other people?
Did your father say to you at a young age: "Look what other people do when you do THIS".
Would you raise your child that way?

All of your comments have been directed at the mods, and you have ignored my responses.

What part of doing something just to upset other people is ok? Is that not reflective of one's upbringing?

I am not a moderator.
I OFTEN don't agree with JB.
I would never agree with JB because he is JB (you can ask him about that one sometime).

I am just as curious about the upbringing as he is.
Did your mother teach you to go bother other people?
Did your father say to you at a young age: "Look what other people do when you do THIS".
Would you raise your child that way?

All of your comments have been directed at the mods, and you have ignored my responses.

What part of doing something just to upset other people is ok? Is that not reflective of one's upbringing?

All solid points Gus

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

Wow,,what a thread!

This is just comical. I was born and bred in the depths of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I grew up poor. My family and I worked on the golf courses in my home town and were never allowed to play them. Don't judge me b/c I'm a moderator and please don't put words into my mouth. I never cited smoothduffers upbringing, all I ever said was that "I wouldn't play a round of golf with someone in sweat pants, a tshirt, or a cut off tee shirt", and even now, I stand by that.

Jeffann, you too are very predictable and you too are getting very old with your constant snide remarks and somewhat borish attempts at humor. I'm seriously disappointed.

No, Gray, I'm not going to be able to make that one. Hopefully I'll get in on the big ryder style one that JB is cooking up though.

This is just comical. I was born and bred in the depths of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I grew up poor. My family and I worked on the golf courses in my home town and were never allowed to play them. Don't judge me b/c I'm a moderator and please don't put words into my mouth. I never cited smoothduffers upbringing, all I ever said was that "I wouldn't play a round of golf with someone in sweat pants, a tshirt, or a cut off tee shirt", and even now, I stand by that.

Jeffann, you too are very predictable and you too are getting very old with your constant snide remarks and somewhat borish attempts at humor. I'm seriously disappointed.
Just out of curiosity, if you walked on alone and got put into a group with one guy wearing a tshirt would you actually refuse to play? Even though the course allowed tshirts?

Just out of curiosity, if you walked on alone and got put into a group with one guy wearing a tshirt would you actually refuse to play? Even though the course allowed tshirts?

Dunno man. I've never been on a golf course that allows tshirts.

I rarely end up at a golf course alone and if I do, it's b/c I want to play alone and work on some things.

Exactly maddog, you can pick up a pair of dockers and a collared polo shirt at wal mart for under $30, and it doesn't cost a dime t otuck the shirt in. And really, if you can't afford that, then how can you afford the greens fees at even the most reasonably priced muni?

Dunno man. I've never been on a golf course that allows tshirts.

I rarely end up at a golf course alone and if I do, it's b/c I want to play alone and work on some things.
Ok, I get that. We have private money publics that have dress codes here too.

Ok, I get that. We have private money publics that have dress codes here too.

The area I grew up in is quite interesting in that our year round population was around 5,000 people. I mean, I went to a K-12 school and graduated with 18 people. But in the season (Apr-Sept) our population went up to around 60,000 b/c of all the private golf clubs (we have 7 in my hometown). Dress code was all I knew. There's a couple of muni's that I play around where I live now but I've never seen anyone in a t-shirt, ever. And my favorite place to play and practice around here won't let you on their driving range with a tshirt. you can wear jeans on the range and they'll provide a collared shirt if "you've just come from work".

How about the flip side to this argument.
A couple weeks ago I was fortunate enough to be able to visit "the Gray's" and play their home course, which is a very relaxed muni. I really enjoy the course layout and the greens were phenominal for the time of year and for being a muni course.

We had planned on playing their home course on saturday and then going toward Atlanta and playing a very nice course before I took off. However, the nice course was closed due to the snow/ice and we ended up playing Lake Jonesco again that sunday. I only had one more outfit- and it was originally planned for an upscale course. I showed up to Lake Jonesco wearing an argyle sweater, shirt, and tie. This is the same outfit that I recently wore to a wedding. I got a lot of looks from people at the course and in general stood out like a sore thumb!

How does that fit into this conversation. People are opinionated about people dressing well below the dress code- but what about dressing well above it?

It may be a west coast thing but many of the municipals-city or county owned and operated are pretty relaxed about dress codes, as in shirt and shoes required. The idea being to get anyone and everyone to play.

A couple weeks ago I was fortunate enough to be able to visit "the Gray's" and play their home course, which is a very relaxed muni. I really enjoy the course layout and the greens were phenominal for the time of year and for being a muni course.

We had planned on playing their home course on saturday and then going toward Atlanta and playing a very nice course before I took off. However, the nice course was closed due to the snow/ice and we ended up playing Lake Jonesco again that sunday. I only had one more outfit- and it was originally planned for an upscale course. I showed up to Lake Jonesco wearing an argyle sweater, shirt, and tie. This is the same outfit that I recently wore to a wedding. I got a lot of looks from people at the course and in general stood out like a sore thumb!

How does that fit into this conversation. People are opinionated about people dressing well below the dress code- but what about dressing well above it?

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too well dressed. I think we've lost something in this country with everything being so casual. People are not as polite as they were 40 years ago, people are more rushed, and they are certainly much more "Anything goes" as far as I can see, when it comes to what is appropriate to wear. I would much rather see someone on the course or in line in front of me at the grocery store wearing what you wore than see someone in pajama bottoms a t shirt and slippers standing there. When exactly did it become acceptable to go out in public in your pj's and slippers?

Reactions: SW

They probably thought you were someones caddy.

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too well dressed. I think we've lost something in this country with everything being so casual. People are not as polite as they were 40 years ago, people are more rushed, and they are certainly much more "Anything goes" as far as I can see, when it comes to what is appropriate to wear. I would much rather see someone on the course or in line in front of me at the grocery store wearing what you wore than see someone in pajama bottoms a t shirt and slippers standing there. When exactly did it become acceptable to go out in public in your pj's and slippers?

I like this post. Lot's of good points in it Ron.

As far as your post Rx, I have to agree with Ron. I don't think you can over dress for golf. The funny thing is: there's probably the same exact level and amount of judging going on. In fact, probably more directed at the golfer who's over dressed. Again, this is just my opinion, I'd hate to personally attack anyone with it.

Back