Golf: A Gentleman's Game?

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too well dressed. I think we've lost something in this country with everything being so casual. People are not as polite as they were 40 years ago, people are more rushed, and they are certainly much more "Anything goes" as far as I can see, when it comes to what is appropriate to wear. I would much rather see someone on the course or in line in front of me at the grocery store wearing what you wore than see someone in pajama bottoms a t shirt and slippers standing there. When exactly did it become acceptable to go out in public in your pj's and slippers?
I see kids walkin to the high school in that exact outfit you described. I'd hate to see what mama's wearing. Hogan set a standard in his dress, last weekend a few guys looked pretty snappy as well. I don't mean Fowler, Daly or Poulter though, just my opinion here. I appreciate guys who dress nicely and it inspires me to do the same. While I abide the dress codes I certainly don't feel I'm disgracing the course if I play in jeans. It was 38 degrees when I teed off wednesday.

I think it goes both ways really. Yesterday I went to practice chips and putting and they had the no chipping signs up, temporary thing. The best dressed guy there was the only guy who couldn't follow that simple request. Just cause a guy dresses well it don't mean anything really. Nice gesture though.

I usually wear a newer pair of jeans and a polo at munies ( live in cowboy country its normal ) , but CC's I will always were a nice pair of slacks or pleated shorts and a polo , plus shave ( one of my pet peeves usually have a 2-4 day growth ) , If I know in advance I will also get a hair cut .
What I dont like to see is raggedy cut offs , dirty T-shirts , holy jeans , sloppy droopy sweat pants . ect...
I have seen a few guys wearing those expensive running suits that aren't bad looking .
Some people just don't have cooth , and their games usually are the same !

yeah but is golf a sport or a skill?

bahaha lets not get into that again.
yeah but is golf a sport or a skill?

Personally, I think you can overdress for the golf course, but thats just me. I judge people much less who overdress than underdress.

To me and me only, regardless of dress code, I think if one chooses not to dress properly they are not only disrespecting those around them, but disrespecting the game of golf. IMO.

Last edited:
It's a privilege. We should dress to the rules set forth by who ever owns the course, even if its a community.

bahaha lets not get into that again.

Personally, I think you can overdress for the golf course, but thats just me. I judge people much less who overdress than other dress.

To me and me only, regardless of dress code, I think if one chooses not to dress properly they are not only disrespecting those around them, but disrespecting the game of golf. IMO.

How do you define overdress then? I think it would be tough because no course I have ever seen posts a Maximum dress code. Is it just a general feeling when you see one person and then compare them to everyone else?

Personally, seeing someone dressed in IJP to the yard, on a 9 hole muni is just something that sticks out to me. Its not negative, because theyre having fun with it. They went out of their way to look good, and I can appreciate that. Much more than someone showing up in dirty clothes, and clothes that dont respond to the dress code. Its not hard to pack a polo and khakis in your car, and there is NOTHING wrong with going into a club wearing your dirty work clothes and changing into clean ones(super high private not included). Humans can appreciate the fact that you love the game as much as they do, and are trying to get some holes in after work. Everyone works.

I tend to act much like you Rx(or from what I can gather from an earlier post). Always look good, and kill it at the upscale places. If you want to kill it at a 9hole muni, go ahead. Youll stick out to me, but it isnt negative. Im just glad they took the time to respect the game and those who play it, than ignoring the games traditions and disrespecting them.

How do you define overdress then? I think it would be tough because no course I have ever seen posts a Maximum dress code. Is it just a general feeling when you see one person and then compare them to everyone else?

I don't mind what anyone wears on the course, I don't have any fancy clothes. Yes, I have worn a tshirt or cutoff shirt, and some basketball shorts to play in before. I didn't know any better, but I wasn't acting like a crazy kid so they didn't mind. I'm not real big into the clothes part of golf, I don't care what you wear as long as it's ok with the course. I don't think I have ever seen someone decked out in bright colored shirt or pants before, but then again I don't pay much attention to what someone wears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know if it is possible to overdress, but there is a point where you start to look like a fool.

I dont know if it is possible to overdress, but there is a point where you start to look like a fool.

Spoiler
dalypants.jpg
john-daly-loses-110-pounds.jpg
john-daly-italian_299x481.jpg
john-daly-weight-loss.JPG
0719john-daly-anna-cladakis_fa.jpg
alg_john_daly_tees.jpg

I would also like to note that my views have changed significantly since last time this topic was brought up.

From the iPhone.

Fortuanately I live next to a 9 hole muni where anyone can play, it is cheap, and not much of a dress code. Only problem is when I get stuck behind a family with 5 kids :D (That has happened before)

Fortuanately I live next to a 9 hole muni where anyone can play, it is cheap, and not much of a dress code. Only problem is when I get stuck behind a family with 5 kids :D (That has happened before)

That's when you skip that hole and go to the next one! Play that one later.

Haha, that's what I had to do!

I think it's fun to dress with bright colors. I would probably wear the Loudmouth Golf pants if they weren't so expensive.

Aren't you the OP? You mentioned strict dress codes in your first post as one of a number of things insinuated by the phrase "A gentleman's game". That strict dress codes are one of a number of things that "soil the game you love". Based on that, I'm going to assume that you don't feel "proper" clothing is an important part of the game. That a person shouldn't be judged by their attire. Then in the post I quoted, you state it's possible a golfer can dress to a point where they look the fool.

So a wife beater and jorts are okay, but someone extensively decked out beyond what you feel is necessary is a fool. Makes sense to me.

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin, I enjoy bantering with you, and we have always been civil. I cannot help but feel, however, that I have angered you. Let me explain.

If, going to a 5 dollar a round muni, you are dressed in 1000 dollars worth of neon swag, then yes, you would look a little odd. At the same time, if I saw you in jorts and a wife beater, you would look a little odd. Both are extremes, and depending on where you are, you will be looked down upon.

I personally enjoy dressing nicely most of the time, but am I above wearing jeans to a goat track? No. Would I wear them to a nice course? Personally, no. But do I believe that "No Denim" is a good thing for golf? not really. I know some local youth who do not own dress pants. Hell, I had round planned, and I had to go and spend a months savings on new slacks just so I could play the next day, as my old ones had ripped. Can you tell me how that is a good thing? There are poor people out there, Kevin. In this day and age, it just is not a practical rule. It is perfectly possible to look good on the course in jeans.

Aren't you the OP? You mentioned strict dress codes in your first post as one of a number of things insinuated by the phrase "A gentleman's game". That strict dress codes are one of a number of things that "soil the game you love". Based on that, I'm going to assume that you don't feel "proper" clothing is an important part of the game. That a person shouldn't be judged by their attire. Then in the post I quoted, you state it's possible a golfer can dress to a point where they look the fool.

So a wife beater and jorts are okay, but someone extensively decked out beyond what you feel is necessary is a fool. Makes sense to me.

Kevin

Kevin

There are poor people out there, Kevin. In this day and age, it just is not a practical rule. It is perfectly possible to look good on the course in jeans.

That is an opinion that many disagree with. While you believe it is possible to look good on the course in jeans, others do not. I have no issues with someone wearing whatever they would like if they play at courses that allow them to do so.

But I have to say and I am sure I will be crucified for this, but maybe if someone cannot afford proper attire, then a sport that is not exactly "affordable" should not be one of their biggest concerns. You can buy non-denim slacks and shorts for as low as $7.99 at Walmart. Far less than the denim that is out there or even at the same store. Golf is not a cheap game. Clubs, balls, apparel, greens fees, cart fees, etc... all add up to a pretty penny to enjoy this great game.

To combat that, certain courses have done what many considered "lower the bar" and allowed a different set of rules to be put in place. For that I applaud them, and you could have played at any one of those courses that allow it. But when someone wants to play at one of the nicer courses or chooses to play at a course with stricter rules, there is nothing wrong with following said rules.

That is an opinion that many disagree with. While you believe it is possible to look good on the course in jeans, others do not. I have no issues with someone wearing whatever they would like if they play at courses that allow them to do so.

But I have to say and I am sure I will be crucified for this, but maybe if someone cannot afford proper attire, then a sport that is not exactly "affordable" should not be one of their biggest concerns. You can buy non-denim slacks and shorts for as low as $7.99 at Walmart. Far less than the denim that is out there or even at the same store. Golf is not a cheap game. Clubs, balls, apparel, greens fees, cart fees, etc... all add up to a pretty penny to enjoy this great game.

To combat that, certain courses have done what many considered "lower the bar" and allowed a different set of rules to be put in place. For that I applaud them, and you could have played at any one of those courses that allow it. But when someone wants to play at one of the nicer courses or chooses to play at a course with stricter rules, there is nothing wrong with following said rules.

I rspect the opinions of all of those that disagree with me. I agree to disagree and move on.

To me, the main problem is not clothes, but as you mentioned, expense. One cannot deny that the game is not doing so hot. Courses are closing. Kids are not interested in the game. It is just a bad situation. I personally feel the industry should be working towards lowering the expense of the game. I don't know how it can hapen, but it needs to.

Aggro you had me until you said jeans.
I will say a lot of the courses I play out here in Vegas have practically waived there dress code during the winter season. They're just appreciative of the business, they're not going to worrry about the dude wearing 5 layers of sweats toppped off with his 12 year old UC Irvine Hoodie. Well, atleast no one has stopped me yet as I walk onto the course. :D

I rspect the opinions of all of those that disagree with me. I agree to disagree and move on.

To me, the main problem is not clothes, but as you mentioned, expense. One cannot deny that the game is not doing so hot. Courses are closing. Kids are not interested in the game. It is just a bad situation. I personally feel the industry should be working towards lowering the expense of the game. I don't know how it can hapen, but it needs to.

My personal opinion is that it is not as much an industry problem but a US economy problem. Expensive sports and hobbies are and have been on the decline due to the economy for a little while now. At the same time unemployment is up, wages are down, etc etc....This is really not the place to discuss this overall, but I do not believe for a second that there is no correlation between the two.

LOL,

The thing is, I understand why ppeople would not like jeans on the course. But some do, and others (like me) dont mind. So why not allow them?
Aggro you had me until you said jeans.
I will say a lot of the courses I play out here in Vegas have practically waived there dress code during the winter season. They're just appreciative of the business, they're not going to worrry about the dude wearing 5 layers of sweats toppped off with his 12 year old UC Irvine Hoodie. Well, atleast no one has stopped me yet as I walk onto the course. :D

We better be careful, or this one will end up in the debate room, hehe.
My personal opinion is that it is not as much an industry problem but a US economy problem. Expensive sports and hobbies are and have been on the decline due to the economy for a little while now. At the same time unemployment is up, wages are down, etc etc....This is really not the place to discuss this overall, but I do not believe for a second that there is no correlation between the two.

Back