Omega Dubai Desert Classic [Spoilers]

Speaking of threads, I'm completely digging the big Spaniards outfit today. Simple, but looks good.

Dude, the big Spaniard is Quiros. I never do red, never. I don't like it. I had to ask if Sergio was wearing a red shirt with navy bottoms.

Sorry dude, my bad. You capitalized Spaniards and it made me completely miss the big. I also like the big Spaniards outfit. lol

Sorry dude, my bad. You capitalized Spaniards and it made me completely miss the big. I also like the big Spaniards outfit. lol

So when are we going to talk about how far away from "back" Tiger is? I'm dying here, lol

You are a technical guy, and a guy who's studied swings and been around golf for a long time. I want to ask you a question and I want you to think about it before you answer.

Is Sean Foley's swing good for Tiger? I have been reading/researching/informing myself a ton on this topic and I don't think it's a good mix at all. And I certainly don't think it's good for Major Championship golf. Foley's too technical, Tiger has technique, what he doesn't have is feel. He's not feeling his way around shots, particularly with that flat stick. I think it's a bad partnership. In fact, look at most of Foley's students: all good ball strikers, emphasis on fwys and girs, yet they all share one common weakness.........feel! They all have suspect short games.

Tiger was spitting all over the place today. On the greens and everything. Great big gobs of it.
Not impressed.

Well done Alvaro, though! An ace is a great way to bounce back from the triple bogey.

So when are we going to talk about how far away from "back" Tiger is? I'm dying here, lol

You are a technical guy, and a guy who's studied swings and been around golf for a long time. I want to ask you a question and I want you to think about it before you answer.

Is Sean Foley's swing good for Tiger? I have been reading/researching/informing myself a ton on this topic and I don't think it's a good mix at all. And I certainly don't think it's good for Major Championship golf. Foley's too technical, Tiger has technique, what he doesn't have is feel. He's not feeling his way around shots, particularly with that flat stick. I think it's a bad partnership. In fact, look at most of Foley's students: all good ball strikers, emphasis on fwys and girs, yet they all share one common weakness.........feel! They all have suspect short games.

Personally I think Tiger and Foley are a great mix. Ive always been a fan of Foley, but this is not the reason for my judgement. But finally IMO, it appears Tiger has a coach that could be smarter than him, or just as smart as him. This could be an issue, but who knows?

The way I look at it, Tiger only needs full swing help. He isnt getting short game or putting help from Foley(I would think, I dont know that for sure). Tigers swing technically is better than I have ever seen it. He relies much less on manipulating the clubface at impact. He still gets stuck in his old swing every once in a while, and on video, you can clearly see it on his poor shots. He needs to work that out still.

If he is getting short game and putting help from Foley, I think thats Tigers fault, because there are better coaches out there for that. Are they the perfect combo? Only they know that for sure. But Tiger has always been a 'stick to your guns' kind of guy, and once he commits to something he usually commits to its fullest. So we wont see Foley gone for a couple years if things really dont work out soon.

Very interesting point TC, and when was Tigers short game arguably the best in the world? When he was with Harmon, and who has possibly the short game of all time, Phil another Harmon guy, interesting.

But Phil doesnt use Harmon as a short game coach I thought? Doesnt he use Pelz? and Stockton for a putting coach?
Very interesting point TC, and when was Tigers short game arguably the best in the world? When he was with Harmon, and who has possibly the short game of all time, Phil another Harmon guy, interesting.

To me, there is 1 coach Tiger is missing. And that coach is DR Bob Rotella

But Phil doesnt use Harmon as a short game coach I thought? Doesnt he use Pelz? and Stockton for a putting coach?

To me, there is 1 coach Tiger is missing. And that coach is DR Bob Rotella

You are correct my Canadian friend it is just an interesting correlation.

Good points young Thainer, and thanks for your response. One of my big concerns about the Tiger/Foley partnership is that I just don't see Tiger relying on his athletic abilities or his instincts like he use to. I'm afraid he may be getting too caught up in the technicalities of everything.

Fact is: he was at his most dominant form with Butch, plain and simple.

Good points young Thainer, and thanks for your response. One of my big concerns about the Tiger/Foley partnership is that I just don't see Tiger relying on his athletic abilities or his instincts like he use to. I'm afraid he may be getting too caught up in the technicalities of everything.

I agree with you here TC and here is a question for you: Could he ever go back to Butch? Is Tiger man enough to go back and ask him for help, and would Butch say yes?

I agree with you here TC and here is a question for you: Could he ever go back to Butch? Is Tiger man enough to go back and ask him for help, and would Butch say yes?

hmm, I would think that Butch would say yes, for a couple of reasons: to teach the GOAT, and perhaps to show the other coaches how much better his technique/style may be (hypothetically, if Tiger went back and returned to form, Butch would make a fortune).

However, I don't think Tiger would ever make that phone call. I don't know why for sure, I just suspect that he wouldn't.

I wont disagree with that one at all. Tiger has great skill no matter whos swing he is using, but its very clear that he doesnt rely on his athleticism or instincts. Which is something I havent noticed until you brought it up. He appears to be more of a robot than a golfer. He doesnt try things like he used to. No more 230 yard 6irons over water. No more miraculous pin firing. He used to get into pins he never could before by launching a 7iron as far as a 4 iron. Now its center of the green, give it a good one putt, take 2 putt and go.

To me, its like when guys get to that point in their career where they start playing for money rather than wins. Which I cant comment on Tigers case.

I dont think Tiger and Butch will ever pair again. Because of the whole Phil thing. Id love to see it.

To me, butch is like a football coach, "GO OUT THERE AND GET'EM". Haney was like the grandma dropping the kid off at football practice, "Tiger honey be safe, have fun, dont get hurt."

Last edited:
I wont disagree with that one at all. Tiger has great skill no matter whos swing he is using, but its very clear that he doesnt rely on his athleticism or instincts. Which is something I havent noticed until you brought it up. He appears to be more of a robot than a golfer. He doesnt try things like he used to. No more 230 yard 6irons over water. No more miraculous pin firing. He used to get into pins he never could before by launching a 7iron as far as a 4 iron. Now its center of the green, give it a good one putt, take 2 putt and go.

To me, its like when guys get to that point in their career where they start playing for money rather than wins. Which I cant comment on Tigers case.

Exactly what he did in Round 2, he just happened to hole some putts.

You're beginning to see what I've been seeing. Where's the passion and fire and fist pumping that we use to see? Where's the huge cuts and draws and stingers and one hop stops and balls zipping back? You're right, he's too mechanical.

Food for thought: in a recent interview, Phil Mickelson was discussing how on his short game, he's focusing more on feel and visualization this year than he is mechanics and routine. It's almost the exact opposite of what TIger's doing.

You're beginning to see what I've been seeing. Where's the passion and fire and fist pumping that we use to see? Where's the huge cuts and draws and stingers and one hop stops and balls zipping back? You're right, he's too mechanical.

Food for thought: in a recent interview, Phil Mickelson was discussing how on his short game, he's focusing more on feel and visualization this year than he is mechanics and routine. It's almost the exact opposite of what TIger's doing.

Didn't he say that about his full swing as well? I thought I saw an interview where he said he's 41, his swing is what it is and he's just going to go out and play. I think this is good for Phil and probably most golfers in general once we get out on to the course. Work on your game at the driving range but once you are on the course use what you've got and just hit the ball.

The only way I can really see it is

Before he was maximizing possibilites, now hes minimalizing risk.

Phils short game is so mechanically sound he has the ability to do that. Tigers swing is unstable still, but once its strong, that would be the most logical next step.

I finally had to come check out this thread after seeing Alvaro's HIO on 11, that pretty much wrapped this puppy up. Talk about hitting to a number, that pin was like 3 to 4 paces on with a bunker short of that, what a shot! I've yet to see the finish, but am kind of surprised that Hed isn't putting more pressure on Quiros.

This was a pretty telling tournament on several fronts, especially for Tiger as one of those courses he could do no wrong on in the past.

Great hole in one by "that guy my wife swoons over."

Great even rounds by world #1 on the weekend. Impressive! Great quote by "unbiased" commentator making excuses for world #1. "he's fighting with his swing a bit the last few weeks."

Congrats to Quiros.

Great hole in one by "that guy my wife swoons over."

Great even rounds by world #1 on the weekend. Impressive! Great quote by "unbiased" commentator making excuses for world #1. "he's fighting with his swing a bit the last few weeks."

Congrats to Quiros.

Yeah, pretty average golf by the world's #1, yet he still finished better than the world's #2 and #3. Whatever that may mean in the scheme of things.

Pretty cool to see Quiros win. I like him.

Yeah, pretty average golf by the world's #1, yet he still finished better than the world's #2 and #3. Whatever that may mean in the scheme of things.

Pretty cool to see Quiros win. I like him.

He's been underwhelming during his reign as #1. Just doesn't strike me as a #1. Then again I'm comparing him to a player who's won 14 majors, who while he was #1, played like a #1. Just doesn't pass the eyeball test.

The US better kick it into high gear, the Europeans look a lot stronger and there's a reason they are taking up a lot of the spots in the OWR.

What's the spitting deal? I missed this.

Years ago Garcia spit in the cup on one of the holes at the masters and then went on some tirade about how terrible the course was and he absolutely hated it, and thats the reason he lost.

This is all from memory so some parts may be incorrect.

He's been underwhelming during his reign as #1. Just doesn't strike me as a #1. Then again I'm comparing him to a player who's won 14 majors, who while he was #1, played like a #1. Just doesn't pass the eyeball test.

The US better kick it into high gear, the Europeans look a lot stronger and there's a reason they are taking up a lot of the spots in the OWR.

Your right about the US, I'm seeing some great young studs coming up, but so does Europe. Alvaro Velasco had one heck of a third round in the wind and followed up with a strong 4th round, if you take away the hol in one of quiros James Kingston would have likely taken this in a playoff as he was on fire.

Years ago Garcia spit in the cup on one of the holes at the masters and then went on some tirade about how terrible the course was and he absolutely hated it, and thats the reason he lost.

This is all from memory so some parts may be incorrect.
Pretty much the way I remember it, not sure about it being the Masters though. Can't forget the part where the announcer asks him about it and he explained that it wasn't a big deal, like everyone does it.

Ha yep. I do like sligo. and I do like Glenmuir too(not there practices obviously). They were the ones that completely ripped off a sligo shirt late last year right? I think I remember the thread.

That is correct. A complete rip off from Sligo all the way down to the color.

Tiger was spitting all over the place today. On the greens and everything. Great big gobs of it.
Not impressed.

Well done Alvaro, though! An ace is a great way to bounce back from the triple bogey.

I agree it is gross....But lets be fair, you have not liked the guy long before teh spitting right?

He was not too shabby under Hank either remember....Look at winning percentages.

Back